One Pound Propane Tank Refill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this discussion wildly exaggerates the risk involved in refilling a propane tank. Everything in life is risky, including getting out of bed. I’m certain more people are injured or die filling lawnmowers with fuel than will ever happen filling cylinders. If we want to worry about serious stuff how about diet and heart disease?

You have a point.

I also have never heard of anyone being killed due to refilling bottles. Not saying it has not happened, but not common.

Didn't read the post but.
Are you so cheap you have to do this yourself.
sell your boat and move home

Use it all the time. Works great.

Works great. Use it all the time.

hi,

we have "the gadget". we have used it over the years when we were in the bahamas and many times 1 lb cylinders were not available and we just didn't have room to carry enough cylinders. we grill a lot.

using it was straight forward but i did find one anomaly. not all cylinders would take a refill so when i'd find one that would work we'd save it.

I use a long hose for bbq

No need for small cylinders. No need to move big propane tank.

Personally would not refill disposable 1 pound cylinders.

Refill propane-Is this safe?

Too many responses for me to read so probably just repeating others:

I like the way the OP asked the question. They did not indicate a bias or intent to do this but simply reached out to solicit others opinions. That is a great benefit of these forums.

1) There is safe and there is compliance with regulation. If the 1lb says "Do Not Refill" they probably are doing so to limit liability. If you fill it you are accepting the liability. Not worth it to me.
2) Presumably if something went wrong your insurance likely would deny the claim. Maybe nothing ever happens but what if it does?
3) If you read an accident report about a guy who killed or maimed themselves or others doing something that was specifically prohibited what would you think about their decision making process?

As a former and now inactive general aviation pilot I try and evaluate risks based upon if I were reading the FAA accident report yet I were the subject of the report (see #3 above).

Works great until you blow yourself up
Do you know anyone that blew themselves up due to refilling? I haven't.

Reminds me a number of years ago when the bottles had to have the 80% valve on it so it wouldn't blow up when re-filling. Problem is no one got blew up. What did happen was the individual that invented the valve became rich.

I believe S.C. said screw it we weren't doing it.

Lets see. A pack of 2 bottles is around $7. So each bottle costs $3.50. I re-fill my bottles for $0.61 each.

Yep I am officially cheap...
Didn't read the post but.
Are you so cheap you have to do this yourself.
sell your boat and move home

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People must truly be bored at home. My notice about a gadget that is peanuts in boating dollars has garnished 71 replies and 1864 views. Maybe my next thread should be about a great bottle opener with a marine theme.

All good comments by previous members, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I've refilled lots & lots of these little tanks. Use them for infrared heaters, torches & the boat BBQ. First off, a little info on their quirks. The tanks are strong, but the valves are cheap & go bad before the tanks ever do. After refilling, gotta check them very closely for leakage. (I soap test after filling, then monitor weight after that for a week. More details later.) The main valve in the neck is like a tire valve (push in to open). The second valve is in the tank top and you pull to open. This bleeds pressure if too high. It's also used to bleed vapor when filling or you won't get a proper fill. I customized some needle-nose pliers to bleed. Now for PRECAUTIONS. Don't overfill. Weigh the tank & zero your scale. Fill & weigh contents so-as not to overfill. I put a piece of tape on each after filling & write the exact weight on them. After filling and testing with soap water for bubbles at the valves, I use that weight to compare & monitor for leaking. Only then will they go on the boat in a vented (drained) propane storage locker. It's easy & works great and saves a lot of $$, but don't be sloppy!

Too many responses for me to read so probably just repeating others:

I like the way the OP asked the question. They did not indicate a bias or intent to do this but simply reached out to solicit others opinions. That is a great benefit of these forums.

1) There is safe and there is compliance with regulation. If the 1lb says "Do Not Refill" they probably are doing so to limit liability. If you fill it you are accepting the liability. Not worth it to me.
2) Presumably if something went wrong your insurance likely would deny the claim. Maybe nothing ever happens but what if it does?
3) If you read an accident report about a guy who killed or maimed themselves or others doing something that was specifically prohibited what would you think about their decision making process?

As a former and now inactive general aviation pilot I try and evaluate risks based upon if I were reading the FAA accident report yet I were the subject of the report (see #3 above).

General aviation risk analysis is a great place to start. There is no such thing as zero risk. I was involved in a G.A. Accident and I can tell you that it has affected my risk tolerance. Everyone thinks it only happens to the other guy, until it doesn’t.

I like your thinking but I don’t think the subject should result in some really nasty digs by other posters, not you. I won’t criticize others for accepting some risk, no matter how small it may be, as long as they don’t jeopardize others. With that said there may be some liability risk in doing something that is specifically forbidden by the manufacturer. With all that said I have one of these gizmo’s.

The bottom line, I’m personally fine with risks that only endanger yourself. Think about riding a bicycle or motorcycles on the road. They are clearly taking a risk. However, if they get nailed by a car it’s unlikely the occupants in the car will be injured. Just saying....

THanks to y'all, everywhere I go on the internet has pop up ads for propane bottles and this gizmo to refill them.....dammit. This thread is tiresome....hahaha!!!

I have been refilling them for years. Knowing the risks, paying attention to what you are doing, not having your head up your arse, they can be refilled safely. You can overfill them, so I weigh the ones I fill. Full they weigh 1.8#. Metal bottoms or plastic bottoms have different full weights. When the bottles start to look bad I throw them away, and buy new. If you fill them to 2.2# and set them in the sun the pressure relief valve will vent till pressure drops, so don’t overfill. When being used and near empty, a lot of moisture forms on container, and they will start to rust. Time to throw away. They used to be about 2 bucks each, now closer to six. I guess whatever, makes you feel good, is what you should do.

This is the key, I refill all the time, in fact I have 10 or so to do today. I weight a full brand new one and weigh all the ones I refill. However, I don't overfill then let them vent off. Often I will only refill to 80% of the new weight. We use the 1# all time for our buddy heater and camping. I think this is one I have https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Propa...id=1586875983&sprefix=refill+p,aps,214&sr=8-4

THanks to y'all, everywhere I go on the internet has pop up ads for propane bottles and this gizmo to refill them.....dammit. This thread is tiresome....hahaha!!!

Me too! What the ..........:angel::angel::banghead::banghead:

Let me put it this way.....I have been doing it for more than 17 years and I have never had any problems!
Having said that, I take extremely good care of the bottles and have never let them rust.
IF there was truly a problem with this device....they would have made it illegal to buy years ago.:socool:

I guess I don't understand the allure of the 1 pound bottles. Weighing them, filling 80%, checking for leaks and rust sounds like a lot of time devoted to these bottles. I could see if the savings was worthwhile but the 1# bottles only cost $3 to $3.50 each.

I always thought the 1 pound bottles was a PITA. The pressure coming out diminishes as the bottle nears empty, the bottle runs out in the middle of cooking, I would need to carry 5 to 10 bottles for the summer and finding safe storage for the bottles can be an issue.

I prefer a refillable 10 pound bottle and a hose to connect to the BBQ.

The only thing useful about the 1 pound propane bottles is that they make a huge bang when tossed onto a beach fire. More bang than an empty paint can. :devil:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom