Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Ranger has a 31 that is trailerable with a big diesel pickup, probably a dually. You would need a wide load permit. Same beam (10 feet) as the 29, almost 2 feet longer, 1000 lb heavier.

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #22
Guru

City: Trenton
I did a portion of the loop in my MT34. It was two months long, two countries and 100 locks. The door next to the helm made docking and locking much easier. Only used the flybridge occasionally to dock but never to lock. If you are going to be by yourself, a thruster would be a good addition for docking in marinas. I don't have one but I have my wife. She is more versatile. You don't need a thruster for anything else.

For the waters you are planning both boats are safe. The speed of the 120 Ford Lehman was perfect for the canals but it would have been nice to go faster in open water. Three separate cabins and two heads were nice when traveling for months in close quarters. After several rainy days everyone is on edge and it's nice to each get a cabin alone for a while. Say what you want about "teaky tacky" Taiwanese wood interiors but they make for a nice cabin to spend some months.

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #23
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Alormaria I agree. Teak or other wood bring 'warmth' to the interior of the boat.
Exterior teak brings out the check book twice a year.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Most states donít require chase vehicles until you are over 12í wide. You do need a permit over 8í6Ē ( some states 8í). I have towed a 36í bt 12í houseboat with a 1 ton dually turbo diesel. Not something I would do regularly but up to 10í beam you just have to deal with the permits.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #25
JLD
Guru

City: Maryland
The other advantage of the NT 32, is that due to its height it can fairly easily be hauled.

This is another reason it stays on my short list.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I think I would have to look at an Eagle 32 or even a Grand Banks 32 but thatís just me . The Nordic 32 would be easier to sell when your done . Our boat is a 32 ft and the Nordic 32 doesnít seem to be as heavy built as ours , the Grand Banks or the Eagle but then again the Nordic may just be perfect for the loop . Tough decision.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #27

City: SWFL
Vessel Name: Great Commission
Vessel Model: 1988 Grand Banks 32 #793
Great information.........thanks! As much as I like the NT, I think I have to have two separate cabins with heads and showers. My wife says we need them for guests. The MT will be less of a risk as far as dollars lost when I get ready to sell.
So now I keep looking. It would be great to find a nice MONK 36.
Reel Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:06 AM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
The other advantage of the NT 32, is that due to its height it can fairly easily be hauled.

This is another reason it stays on my short list.

Jim
Another advantage of being without a flybridge.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #29

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I have a 2000 NT 32 and find it very easy to single-hand. I have a bow thruster but no stern thruster and have never felt I need one. Docking and locking (Ballard Locks, Seattle) are both fairly doable alone as long as you have a good plan and lines laid out. However, I would not want to lock thru alone in bad weather.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #30
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
For the trip the OP is planning, he has identified two completely different boat types.
The NT is small interior spaces, MT is large (relatively)
The NT is fine fit and finish, MT not so much
The NT is expensive, MT not so
NT running Cummins will use more fuel than the MT running FL
Twins v Single? May both be singles, the OP's description isn't that clear.
The resale after a year's use, ????? nobody knows if the NT will continue to depreciate from its higher initial value at the same rate, therefore costing more for the year in absolute terms, or not. Or will the MT continue to depreciate at the same rate from its lower initial cost, thereby costing less.
Once guests arrive, the larger spaces in the MT will pay off. As will the flybridge.
IF his bragging is about how much he can save, the MT will shine. About how fine a craft he has, the NT will shine.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:04 PM   #31
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
For the trip the OP is planning, he has identified two completely different boat types.
The resale after a year's use, ????? nobody knows if the NT will continue to depreciate from its higher initial value at the same rate, therefore costing more for the year in absolute terms, or not. Or will the MT continue to depreciate at the same rate from its lower initial cost, thereby costing less.
Once guests arrive, the larger spaces in the MT will pay off. As will the flybridge.
IF his bragging is about how much he can save, the MT will shine. About how fine a craft he has, the NT will shine.
+1.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #32

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Quote:
Get a grand banks and maybe you can do both!
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiculo View Post
Get a grand banks and maybe you can do both!
GB is not for me. Way too much teak on the outside. That costs money and time to maintain.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #34

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
GB is not for me. Way too much teak on the outside. That costs money and time to maintain.
This is true - no problems if you sell after a year tho.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #35
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:

Hi,

"NT running Cummins will use more fuel than the MT running FL"Can you tell us what this idea is based on?

I claim NT is below Hull's speed, one of the least expensive boats in its entire class. Example of my NT37 1 x 380hp cummins speed at 7.4kn 1,5 gal/hour 1250rmp, same LWL Albin 43 2 x 120hp FL 7,5kn 3,5 gal/hours the question NT is a good length - width ratio and Lynn Senour Hull design.

Albin's fuel consumption data comes from here https://www.blueturtletrawler.com/si...onsiderations/

Fuel consumption is half less than my old same size plaanig Hull Boats and considerably less than several trawlers of the same length.

NT quality can be seen best by looking deeper than the surface, like all the installations of diesel engine, shaft fittings or all laminating and grinding rounds and finishing there Bilge and all ways, pipes and tanks etc. If you look at electrical installations and how each wire marked individually you are not in trouble whenever you have to look for electronic problems. The vinylester used in hull lamination and the NT factory granted 10 years warranty blisters, it also tells you something of quality, of course it also pays something and everybody weighs different things when buying a boat.

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #36

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
A major benefit to the Nordic Tug is being trailerable and it is a huge benefit overall.. BUT specifically towards doing the loop I don't see the benefit so I'd go for the bigger boat.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #37
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
N Baltic

I agree that fuel consumption is related more to speed and hull design than to engine make. However, you state:

"I claim NT is below Hull's speed, one of the least expensive boats in its entire class. Example of my NT37 1 x 380hp cummins speed at 7.4kn 1,5 gal/hour 1250rmp, same LWL Albin 43 2 x 120hp FL 7,5kn 3,5 gal/hours the question NT is a good length - width ratio and Lynn Senour Hull design."

With 380 (Cummins) you are not limited to hull speed, so will spend some, or most, of your time going faster, making a bigger wave, and using more fuel then the 120 (FL) is capable of doing.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
N Baltic

I agree that fuel consumption is related more to speed and hull design than to engine make. However, you state:

"I claim NT is below Hull's speed, one of the least expensive boats in its entire class. Example of my NT37 1 x 380hp Cummins speed at 7.4kn 1,5 gal/hour 1250rmp, same LWL Albin 43 2 x 120hp FL 7,5kn 3,5 gal/hours the question NT is a good length - width ratio and Lynn Senour Hull design."

With 380 (Cummins) you are not limited to hull speed, so will spend some, or most, of your time going faster, making a bigger wave, and using more fuel then the 120 (FL) is capable of doing.
Dont over look the American Tug. The factory published data on the American Tug 34 (aka 36) with a Cummins QSB 5.9, Model 380 HO, 1/2 fuel (200 gal), 1/2 water (75 gal) .... 8 kits 2.1 gah at 1400 rpm. Mathematically, the hull speed is about 7.3 knots. 17 knots, 18.1 gph at 3000 rpm.
I am sure, loaded as a live aboard, reality is very different.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #39
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Dont over look the American Tug. The factory published data on the American Tug 34 (aka 36) with a Cummins QSB 5.9, Model 380 HO, 1/2 fuel (200 gal), 1/2 water (75 gal) .... 8 kits 2.1 gah at 1400 rpm. Mathematically, the hull speed is about 7.3 knots. 17 knots, 18.1 gph at 3000 rpm.
I am sure, loaded as a live aboard, reality is very different.

Likely it is different. I like both the NT and AT boats. They were the direction I was initially going when I was looking.

My North Pacific 43 has the same engine, Cummins QSB 5.9L 380hp. Even though my LWL is 38í, I donít get anywhere near that fuel efficiency. 2.0 gal/hr (1450 rpm) will give me 7.0 knots.

Of course, Iím a fully loaded boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #40
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have serious doubs about some fuel economies posted.

Seems like everyone that posts does way better than what I have experienced and others....When you look at engine manufacturer and WLL numbers...their claims seem off but not their friends boat or others they reference as getting worse.

Can I call anyone a liar? No but I am skeptical.

Many cruise Ford Lehmans at around 1700 RPM which is about 2 gal per hour and mine does the same. My 40 Albin has around a 34 foot waterline and at 1700 RPMs, I only get around 6.3 knots.

My numbers are based on 15,000 miles over the last 6 years.

I will do a better breakdown this year, I will try and more accurately subtract out the diesel heater and genset fuel burns...though my numbers are already guesstimating them out.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote