Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
One Less Boat on Yachtworld

Well, we closed on our Defever 44 today! What a process! But all's well that ends that way and we can't wait to start cruising her. Unfortunately, we'll have to since she's in Florida and our first opportunity to move her north to the Chesapeake will be in late June.

I hope to get down to see her in a few weeks, but I'm already starting to wonder if I should hire somebody to check on her regularly. The marina manager sounds great and says they'll check on her a couple times a day. I'm sure that will be a walk-by to see if she's listing or leaking fuel, but I'd like to know if the bilge and tank tops are dry. What would y'all do?

Her new name is Stella Maris.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Nice looking boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Very nice looking boat, also a popular name. If you do a vessel search on the CG DB, there are 44 other Stella Maris', although only a 58 Krogen I know of may be as good looking!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Does the marina have WiFi? Hook up a couple of wireless cameras then you can be "near and dear" via your smartphone or tablet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Beautiful boat! I think Don Moon has a captain keep an eye on his boat in his absence for a small fee, perhaps he'll drop in with more details for you.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Very nice looking boat, also a popular name. If you do a vessel search on the CG DB, there are 44 other Stella Maris', although only a 58 Krogen I know of may be as good looking!
Very nice of you to say so!

We named our sailboat Stella Maris 20 years ago after a little church on Sullivan's Island, SC -- a place that has a lot of fond memories for us. (It was either that or Moultrie, which didn't sound as good to our ears.) Later, we learned about all the imitators. We sold her two years and found we missed the name.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Does the marina have WiFi? Hook up a couple of wireless cameras then you can be "near and dear" via your smartphone or tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Beautiful boat! I think Don Moon has a captain keep an eye on his boat in his absence for a small fee, perhaps he'll drop in with more details for you.
Thanks. Both good ideas. I've never bought anything like this that I couldn't start taking hands-on care of right away. I guess I'm wondering how many people feel OK with their boat some distance away with casual attention by folks at the marina. Or, since it's only for two months, am I obsessing?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Good going, Ian. I was hoping the deal would go through. That boat was searching for a good captain.

By the way, 40 years ago we named our boat Sundancer. Do you think I should suit SeaRay.

Craig, I have a great captain looking after Moonstruck. We are in adjoining slips, and he runs the most well known charter boat around---The Last Mango. He basically doesn't have much to do on Moonstruck. He will double the lines incase of storms, or move the the boat yard. He also checks battery voltages, and the bilge. He will call and let me know if anything seems unusual.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post

Thanks. Both good ideas. I've never bought anything like this that I couldn't start taking hands-on care of right away. I guess I'm wondering how many people feel OK with their boat some distance away with casual attention by folks at the marina. Or, since it's only for two months, am I obsessing?
Nope. It would drive me crazy.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: West Coast
My biggest concern is that I have water entering the bilge undetected, which could overwhelm the pumps if there is a sustained power failure, or if the leak rate gets worse. When I leave my boat in another country, I shut all the through hulls. I also have bilge cycle counters, so if any water is coming in, I will know it, at least if I am on board. My other fear is power failure (which includes some dock guy unplugging my boat) and the freezers thawing with all the food lost into a stinky mess. Happened once. The suggestion above for an internet monitoring system is good, but at least in some foreign marinas internet comes and goes.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Congratulations! Defenders are great boats. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. The wifi remote camera sounds like a great way to keep visual tabs on your boat. We live 4 1/2 hours from our boat and over a mountain pass in the winter. Makes getting there quite a challenge sometimes. The camera look would be great if our marina had wifi. :-(
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Very nice looking boat! Good job finding just the right one to suit your cruising needs. For only two months, I'd hire the marina to keep an eye on her. Peace of mind is priceless.

I'd give them a key and ask them to check on the bilge once a day.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #13

City: Deltaville, VA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
Angus....where will you be stationed on the Chesapeake? I am mid bay.
Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

City: Jupiter, FL
Great buy!

You should take her to down to Stella Maris on Long Island before you take her up to the Chesapeake.

Congrats and good luck
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Very nice. I was surprised to see a piano on board.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I have a great captain looking after Moonstruck. He will double the lines incase of storms, or move the the boat yard. He also checks battery voltages, and the bilge. He will call and let me know if anything seems unusual.
Thanks, Don and all. Think that's the route I'm going to take.

(As for suing Sea Ray, let me know how that goes. One of my wife's ancestors in the 1800s was kicked out of the Quaker and Baptist churches for making whiskey--and a few other things. One of her family myths is that he sold the recipe . . . to some upstart named Jack Daniels. If you succeed with Sea Ray, I may take a run at JD )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Very nice. I was surprised to see a piano on board.
You have better eyes than I do. Or do you mean the guy on the sundeck who looks like he's at a keyboard?

Bill, I haven't finalized yet but she's going to be kept above Annapolis somewhere. And then wandering all around the bay.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
We will miss you when we head to Maine in a few weeks. We'll look for you on our return in late Oct/Nov. We will be the one out in the Nov gales. Come join us, your girl can handle it
Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Congrats! Now the work begins to make her yours! You can't give her a new name until you do the proper naming ceremony!

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Congrats! Now the work begins to make her yours! You can't give her a new name until you do the proper naming ceremony!

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
Geez, thanks for the reminder! Wonder if documenting her with her new name counts? If so, I'm screwed.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Congratulations! Very nice boat. Let me know if you make it over to the Eastern Shore (Crisfield) this summer. If my boat gets out of the paint shop before fall, she will be at Sommers Cove in Crisfield.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote