Onboard Ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve,

Whuch requirement does the Samsung miss? Size?

-Greg

I think I looked at that Samsung during one of my endless research days on the internet....

I might be able to fit it if the trim was narrow enough. The manual talks about a 30" trim kit and I assume that is optional, and that the one that comes with it is smaller? The spec sheet you posted had most of this, but it's unclear as to whether the smaller trim is smaller?

Thank you everyone for your input. So far the Mrs is leaning toward the Samsung PowerGrill. She says she'll be glad to post some recipes with pics made in the new oven:)
Dave

I think I looked at that Samsung during one of my endless research days on the internet....

I might be able to fit it if the trim was narrow enough. The manual talks about a 30" trim kit and I assume that is optional, and that the one that comes with it is smaller? The spec sheet you posted had most of this, but it's unclear as to whether the smaller trim is smaller?

From what I can tell, the only trim kit is the 30" one. It doesn't come with one at all, you buy the kit separately to mount it rather than putting it on a counter. Judging by the cutout size and photos in the trim kit manual, it's probably possible to cut the faceplate down to a smaller size.

Dave,

If she has a receipe she wants me to try in advance...I was serious about posting it.

Last edited:
The Samsung unit comes with no trim kit at all. The only optional one is huge. It made me sad, too.

I thought about making my own wood trim rather than wasting the space with their metal trim. I had dreams of squeezing in a narrow draw above and to one side of it. But, it just didn't seem worth it for the small space I'd gain with my setup.

Just note the that trim kit isn't just a trim kit, but also has a vent kit that redirects the airflow from the rear to the front so it can be built in. The details are in the installation instructions for the trim kit.

I have also wondered about using the trim kit just for the ducts and ignoring the faceplate. Other than a slightly unfinished look, it should work.

The other unit I'm looking at is a Panasonic NN-CD87KS. It's a little wider and shorter, but has a 24 inch trim kit available, so it might be easier to fit. Oven power is a little lower though.

That Panasonic looks like a really nice unit and gets wonderful reviews. If I'd seen it, I might have gotten it. That trim kit is a lot smaller.

And speaking of air fryers, what's the skinny on them? Have friends that love them and cook almost everything in them...
If you have a fan forced oven you already have an "air fryer".

If you have a fan forced oven you already have an "air fryer".

That may be the case, but I'll say this, my new convection oven in "Slim Fry" model makes friends French fries one heck of a lot better than my older convection ovens did. Not sure how or why. Maybe air speed or max temp or something.

We have a Weber Q grill that we loved. We bought an air fryer 8 months ago and haven’t used the grill since. We cook burgers, bacon, sausage, hot dogs, French fries, onion rings, steak, pork chops and more. It’s an amazing device. Did I mention chicken and salmon?

We just pulled our GE micro/convection combo after it died for the 3rd time in 4 years. We replaced with a Whirlpool microwave only. We liked the convenience of the convection oven but it was too problematic as well as hot as we did not have outside venting.

We're currently considering alternatives for our Force 10 oven/range.

We replaced a microwave with a Kitchen Aid microwave/convection oven and it works great. We did add, some aluminum heat shielding on the ledge above and at the rear of the unit and a vent above and to the back of the unit as it gets quite hot when using it as an oven. These two additions keep it cool and working GREAT!! If you spend time on your boat, how can you not have an oven.

We have a Sharp R-820 convection microwave on our boat that's about 12 years old. It's small at only .9 CuFt but it does a remarkably good job at baking and microwaving. Never had a combo unit like this before but we are very impressed with what this thing can do.

We really liked having a full sized electric oven on board, just like you find in homes. It was great for cooking full blown Thanksgiving dinners and feeding large dinner parties. Since our boat was our only residence for over 6 years, it was nice for the galley not to be one of the compromises that every boat presents one way or another.

LjaMG2mc_iNVsbqwpK0azbUKh_XaB6Mfm8_XCuWRiMhT1xmOmVDebhmnPJOH3DfiDyxn-HMeDghO8oVBlk24tjY4hAKnTxIBRVh5MyhcYkIbt3bnOZj3MjVpkmh_zN1CkuuR1W4gSDPHQTC1WNP3HJGxaspJPbf3hX8Orhizd3bo-i0Ghmc3OOtbV-3HZF-xcBkiTM3IYvhQPErPvvMzzJeRIB9cauKTEL0mvjsuwlijGJ-aSZpaGIIKSUJyxqh1Abc1SBoWiS7A3C2UGdo4Ugm1tLWiMmk0y1W_AXQzrFWqb4ua9QoOFiVgpPJckHKg5hWlw6VI2RXG7ZQ6hG0h3ugypKjW6AOprgrIF2MFziVOaEaH7Zxp5K5boUd4sEqyIkvo-A356MVjF3v6HM2wIRJAiJXfb_Lkgg7hMovSL80WkJbiqQD_3RbuRSPLGG0HFIkXlWeNm-SUildAxRDRUO8GH1apsXWzDkOzppDPp7_nEsvMEn_r9kN22RNvfr_WmkkKML9sqaZfY9CVPKc2Rrl6cND3OXjqED6Fqy0HCqHM0RW3h1JHfzjRl0c9ft5lnxa7fTVNbZUi4dAf57ac4k_F7iUxVagze9YyJopn97XT0xeh-_-cFllg8gOQ7PvM6BPS8IjD0A3QCByNOZhS6r9KZ-ZMVNOUibvKwjZuDng7NveRRjegTAdlBqGjJQ=w1000-h669-no

-Oe_kozHGSb2Cz_kNomX_SrjLCEoU3_HbMDM0LfJP5Ef-RHUuDuQ8gV9p6I1fRUm2XEGzX1KBJI4XHDPrSKRBr5_Sun6Ok5473UOOl9ZeiUZpQGu8DCs8D_-FSbkbm8lGVndhgr1Ywlgla-uBNFb31B7YE8Zxfy2r41ZOhjlkq13eUR1Zo5N9tR8f5gjo1pgem8qTTp6d7YK9i_iu1xbHTUn1jeVLYPRVg3rN30gLsIBr8W1H2JBVz5chFPiYiEf15p8aap4fA7iJugGm60a21husTMXJRZ2orPxfzASOW8YnTcRUxhr1_Ugalap-rxJLKwTpeXeJJZRwxQPmXGcRmWfuAJzGJw2d8r_tnNr30ewUAyVhok9KJMJm5xkREmnadqiZUW7QZDP5ysj0OKJvIsuZfO2OIzgFmoEZ5yllbkTUn6ishJz5MGOMnYaqetU4LdCKt4yaFDZwpKX1BCDcpliH13YnK35LO5Vi2Wv2rJa2J9bgYWXHHmAXhLjpGdb_ppzkaqQqJ7-bebE-iRsV3Yw19SA4gG3Z6_qTfnrhaenw-R539iGAshMpdibHg0s1eSINXE0er9CAQfwrxJTCzEPwm1SU7sHK1TGAZvJ-DBlFyMJ0sBprkKPdAI9GA9atCW_kjPgC9pWWF8u0zn5ovAiRz5NAw9mxuLXlply3jveYGqMgdX-oiLDxv6BBg=w1024-h688-no

Really, really nice to have but my guess is that a large majority of us simply do not have the room for full-size appliances. If we did, much of this discussion would be unnecessary.
We really liked having a full sized electric oven on board, just like you find in homes. It was great for cooking full blown Thanksgiving dinners and feeding large dinner parties. Since our boat was our only residence for over 6 years, it was nice for the galley not to be one of the compromises that every boat presents one way or another.

LjaMG2mc_iNVsbqwpK0azbUKh_XaB6Mfm8_XCuWRiMhT1xmOmVDebhmnPJOH3DfiDyxn-HMeDghO8oVBlk24tjY4hAKnTxIBRVh5MyhcYkIbt3bnOZj3MjVpkmh_zN1CkuuR1W4gSDPHQTC1WNP3HJGxaspJPbf3hX8Orhizd3bo-i0Ghmc3OOtbV-3HZF-xcBkiTM3IYvhQPErPvvMzzJeRIB9cauKTEL0mvjsuwlijGJ-aSZpaGIIKSUJyxqh1Abc1SBoWiS7A3C2UGdo4Ugm1tLWiMmk0y1W_AXQzrFWqb4ua9QoOFiVgpPJckHKg5hWlw6VI2RXG7ZQ6hG0h3ugypKjW6AOprgrIF2MFziVOaEaH7Zxp5K5boUd4sEqyIkvo-A356MVjF3v6HM2wIRJAiJXfb_Lkgg7hMovSL80WkJbiqQD_3RbuRSPLGG0HFIkXlWeNm-SUildAxRDRUO8GH1apsXWzDkOzppDPp7_nEsvMEn_r9kN22RNvfr_WmkkKML9sqaZfY9CVPKc2Rrl6cND3OXjqED6Fqy0HCqHM0RW3h1JHfzjRl0c9ft5lnxa7fTVNbZUi4dAf57ac4k_F7iUxVagze9YyJopn97XT0xeh-_-cFllg8gOQ7PvM6BPS8IjD0A3QCByNOZhS6r9KZ-ZMVNOUibvKwjZuDng7NveRRjegTAdlBqGjJQ=w1000-h669-no

-Oe_kozHGSb2Cz_kNomX_SrjLCEoU3_HbMDM0LfJP5Ef-RHUuDuQ8gV9p6I1fRUm2XEGzX1KBJI4XHDPrSKRBr5_Sun6Ok5473UOOl9ZeiUZpQGu8DCs8D_-FSbkbm8lGVndhgr1Ywlgla-uBNFb31B7YE8Zxfy2r41ZOhjlkq13eUR1Zo5N9tR8f5gjo1pgem8qTTp6d7YK9i_iu1xbHTUn1jeVLYPRVg3rN30gLsIBr8W1H2JBVz5chFPiYiEf15p8aap4fA7iJugGm60a21husTMXJRZ2orPxfzASOW8YnTcRUxhr1_Ugalap-rxJLKwTpeXeJJZRwxQPmXGcRmWfuAJzGJw2d8r_tnNr30ewUAyVhok9KJMJm5xkREmnadqiZUW7QZDP5ysj0OKJvIsuZfO2OIzgFmoEZ5yllbkTUn6ishJz5MGOMnYaqetU4LdCKt4yaFDZwpKX1BCDcpliH13YnK35LO5Vi2Wv2rJa2J9bgYWXHHmAXhLjpGdb_ppzkaqQqJ7-bebE-iRsV3Yw19SA4gG3Z6_qTfnrhaenw-R539iGAshMpdibHg0s1eSINXE0er9CAQfwrxJTCzEPwm1SU7sHK1TGAZvJ-DBlFyMJ0sBprkKPdAI9GA9atCW_kjPgC9pWWF8u0zn5ovAiRz5NAw9mxuLXlply3jveYGqMgdX-oiLDxv6BBg=w1024-h688-no

Take a look at the Beeville SmartOven, recommended by Cook's Country or one of those cooking shows. We have one aboard our boat. We can bake cookies, bread, pizza, roast meats, as well as in ourdirt house oven when we had a dirt house. If you can fit the larger version on a countertop, you will not find a better alternative. It will even accommodate a prime rib which is rather tall.View attachment 111877
I agree on the Belleville Smart Oven. I swapped my traditional oven on the boat for a drawer dishwasher and added the Smart Oven. I use it a lot and it will handle a 13” pizza the old one wouldn’t fit.

My wife also loves to cook. On our former boat, we had a Princess oven/stovetop which she hated at first but learned to love. We now have a Cuisinart combo Microwave/Convection oven and she likes it but wishes it were bigger. We can cook chicken and steaks in it when we can't use the outdoor propane grill but it does produce a lot of heat. The Cuisinart is good, just small like all the other combo ovens.

Nothing too fancy or obscure about Breville. It`s an old Australian appliance maker, household name here. And sold around the world, different brand name in Europe.
I`ll admit to a very modest stock interest:ermm:. https://www.breville.com/us/en/home/index.html

We've been impressed with the Breville appliances we have. Looks like one of these may replace the boat's microwave when it follows the daughter off to college this coming fall.

Back
Top Bottom