Onboard coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tatlayoko

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Invictus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32
My wife and I are new to cruising but not new to drinking good coffee. In fact we may be addicts.
no.gif
At home we use an automatic machine that grinds the beans, tamps, then brews wonderful espresso. It has a milk frother for cappucino. http://schaerer.ca/ambiente_junior.htm.

Has anyone come up with a good way to produce the same onboard?

I guess it depends how much you like coffee- you could get another one for the boat. :)

We've used a small 4 cup percolator for the last several years because it's fast, hot and takes up almost no space. Now we're using a two cup espresso machine at home and might use that now that we have a bigger boat 48 vs 36.

I use on of the smaller Keuirg single cup brewers. FIll it with a water bottle, pop in a pre packeged cup, any one of about a milion flavors, and coffee in 30 seconds. Only problem is for a coffee addict like me those little packages get expensive...

How about one of those stove top Bialetti espresso makers?

As I have stated in a previous thread on coffee machines i can't go past a Nespresso machine.
OK you are attached to nestle for ones coffee supply but the coffee maker is compact, fast and good.Gives you a big choice of coffee and comes with
a milk heater/creamer.

Benn

Gee I never made it to Guru but I am what I am.

Benn

You can use the same equipment on the boat as at home, assuming you have an inverter for*underway *times

JMYSS wrote:

I use on of the smaller Keurig single cup brewers. FIll it with a water bottle, pop in a pre packeged cup, any one of about a milion flavors, and coffee in 30 seconds. Only problem is for a coffee addict like me those little packages get expensive...

This is what we use at home now - once I landed on a flavour I liked, I wouldn't trade it for ANY other coffee. And although the per serving cost may seem high, You always brew exactly the amount you want, no wastage. Don't know how well they provide espresso type coffees though.

I'll only drink coffee when someone else makes it and pays for it.* Sorry, no cofee served here.

WE use an expresso pot on the stove.

Its rapid and when the steam comes after the coffee is made , it can be heard , letting you know the brew is ready.

Started with this 30 years ago , with kerosene Primus, 10,000BTU is too much heat for any system but this one.

We have a french coffee press we use at times on the boat. Best tasting coffee I've had.
Most times though we use a Mr Coffee style machine.

Drinking and driving the boat with a cup of good joe, that's my cup of espresso!
We heat water and cook with propane and have the ability to fire up the generator for AC. The best coffee that we find is brewed in a French Press using freshly hand ground beans, we also make a mean espresso using a 4 shot espresso steamer that we purchased at REI. This little espresso maker makes a suprisingly good shot of espresso. The French Press,*4 Shot Espresso Maker, and a hand coffee grinder are all available at www.REI.com , they are all rugged and well made cooking gear.

Attachments

• img_0504.jpg
    img_0504.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 88
My favorite cup of coffee of the day has got to be early in the morning when I'm taking the dog to the beach to take care of business.

Attachments

• img_0734.jpg
    img_0734.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 97
JMYSS wrote:I use one of the smaller Keuirg single cup brewers. FIll it with a water bottle, pop in a pre packeged cup, any one of about a milion flavors, and coffee in 30 seconds. Only problem is for a coffee addict like me those little packages get expensive...
You don't have to use K-cups...You can use ANY ground coffee in the Keurig by swapping out the K-cup holder with the filter basket kit http://www.keurig.com/accessories/my-k-cup. Walmart has it for $14.xx.* And you can buy a pair of extra filter baskets for it http://www.keurig.com/accessories/reusable-k-cup-filter-basket-for-my-k-cup* I haven't found those any place except direct from Keurig though.*

These let me use up a whole bunch of pods for my 1-up Melita that finally bit the dust. And I keep on using 'em 'cuz* most of the decaf coffees I like aren't available in K-cups.* While spending another $25 for the kit and extra baskets seems expensive, you save more than that with the first pound of ground coffee vs. that many K-cups.* And they're easy to use...I keep my coffee sealed in rubbermaid containers in the freezer. Just dip the basket into the ground coffee and stick it
into the holder.

Btw...why'd you go with the one that only holds a single cup of water? The lowest price model with the 48 oz reservoir is only about $10 more?

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Saturday 5th of March 2011 11:17:13 AM

I'm into simplicity and portability. The simple filter cone (melita style) works for me. Just add filter coffee and boiling water. Found a site that sells ceramic (don't like plastic ones) filter cones and filters in several different sizes. Sometimes simple is good.

Sweet Maria's Filters Cones

Ted

Ted,* That setup is perfect for our little galley!

JohnP

O C Diver wrote:

I'm into simplicity and portability. The simple filter cone (melita style) works for me. Just add filter coffee and boiling water. Found a site that sells ceramic (don't like plastic ones) filter cones and filters in several different sizes. Sometimes simple is good.

Sweet Maria's Filters Cones

Ted
There a number of good options available at that site. Ted, why your preference for ceramic over plastic? Better taste? My only concern would be breakage.*

"J ".
We have been using the French press ( Caffitere ) for years.
smile.gif

We even have one on the boat.
biggrin.gif

I am going to presume that most know how to use this wonderful simple coffee making *device.
disbelief.gif

The absolute criteria is the water quality, try bottled distilled.
confuse.gif

This is my routine *to get our ideal cup of coffee to which there are variations.

However, what suits one person will not suite another.
no.gif

it is like the 5,000 different wines *available,there is a need to experiment.
blankstare.gif

This is what i do, firstly,but we like our coffee reasonably strong.*
furious.gif

Our selection to start with is French Roast , that is a very dark coffee grind.
wink.gif

If you Grind your own, the grind should be very fine but not so fine as to be able to pass through the plunger screen.
doh.gif

A level table spoon per mug *per person is as strong as most people can manage.
smile.gif

For water capacity , go for a dry run and add two mugs of water *to the beaker jar to establish a fill mark for two people.

Hot water should be off the boil ,we don't want to scald the coffee grind.
Just blanche it.
wink.gif

The brewing process is 4 minutes stirring frequently with a wooden chop stick ,we don't want to break the glass beaker with a metal spoon.
disbelief.gif

The Coffee is ready to go.
biggrin.gif

There are variations of your choosing to the whole process.
hmm.gif

DONT RE HEAT PRE MADE COFFEE ,Tonto.
ashamed.gif

But one thing you cant change is serving coffee to the first mate in bed every morning.
wink.gif

A Note *:-
Coffee is a vegetable so you can add the very*smallest amount of salt to bring out the flavor or add some chocolate to taste .

Phase 2 is Motorcycle Coffee.
yawn.gif

Donald & Mavis
confuse.gif

-- Edited by SOMERS on Sunday 6th of March 2011 06:46:07 PM

Sounds like there's a lot of addicted folks on here. I'd just use the Meleta plastic cone like thing and some hot water. We drink lots of tea onboard and coffee in port. In Alaska we like to go to all the little towns and love to walk around town and eat in the cafes w the fishermen. Down south I know you'all like to get as far away from civilization as possible but we like our towns and that includes Juneau ect ect. We have 2 camp grounds on Prince of Wales Island and they are way out in the middle of nowhere not even close to water. So most of the campers camp in town right by the harbor crapper and showers. The Forest Service has a lot of people from down south and I think some of them brought their camp-
ground attitudes from down south.

We've just been using the Meleta plastic cone as well. My wife quit drinking coffee RIGHT after she got me drinking it so I am the only one. I may get a little 4 cup Mr. Coffee though- I have one at the house and the office and it works pretty good.

Now the big question is- what brand coffee??? For me- Dunkin Donuts coffee is just about the best to be had. How people drink that starbucks junk is beyond me.

Woodsong wrote:Now the big question is- what brand coffee??? For me- Dunkin Donuts coffee is just about the best to be had. How people drink that starbucks junk is beyond me.
Starbucks is indeed bad stuff. Dunkin Donuts is good, especially if you grind your* own. My favorite though is Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve Fair Trade.

nomadwilly wrote:

*I'd just use the Meleta plastic cone like thing and some hot water. We drink lots of tea onboard .
I love coffee but I don't really care what the brand is as long as it's strong. I use one of those little coffee cup cones like Eric. *I always have the diesel stove going even in the summer as this is Alaska. So I just keep a pot of water boiling.

Easy to set the cone and filter on top of the cup and*wamm coffee.

If it's rough out I may just drop in the guts and let her perk up a pot.

I always drink coffee.

I just love boat coffee.

SD*

We've got a wonderful coffee place here in Craig * *...the Wheelhouse.
We go there first when we go to town (Craig) to drink "Killer" coffee
and read our books awhile. They get their beans all over So America
and grind them. They also have chocolate candy bars w Irish cream ctr's.
Here's Chris, grandson David and myself in the Wheelhouse.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 541.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 541.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 80
i will have to check out some of those options.
we had a french press on the boat, it was ok but kinda messy and a lot of clean up (grinds get stuck in the press). Then we got one of those minibrewers, its ok but not great so right now we just use the starbucks instand coffee, much better than other instant coffees but expensive...
my preference would be some sort of espresso thing, americano is my preferred coffee beverage.

nomadwilly wrote:

We've got a wonderful coffee place here in Craig * *...the Wheelhouse.
We go there first when we go to town (Craig) to drink "Killer" coffee
and read our books awhile. They get their beans all over So America
and grind them. They also have chocolate candy bars w Irish cream ctr's.
Here's Chris, grandson David and myself in the Wheelhouse.
A bit off topic, but Eric, you have rather a resemblance to the other Erik, with the 'k' doing the Clipper 30 restoration as we speak.* He went for Black hull or very dark blue by the looks - now back to coffee.*
I must admit we do mini-plunger coffees on the boat as we don't have AC, but we could use a stove-top espresso I guess.* I've even been known to use coffee bags, or (dare I say it) instant.* But as the S'Dude says....any coffee tastes good when you are 'out there'.....

Back
Top Bottom