Onan Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiverhawkDYC

Vessel Name
Riverhawk
Vessel Make
Present 38 Motor Yacht
Got a 1986 trawler with an Onan generator. Worked fine last season. Tried to start it this season and it just clicks. Checked.... not a dead battery. Ideas?

What is the year and model number and kw size of your Onan generator?

Rap on the solenoid and starter with a wooden hammer. Then check all your battery cable connections.

You can always try shorting out the two wires on the solenoid , this will engage the starter. If you have never done it before be prepared to be startled, sparks will fly and you will hear the electricity. Only do it for a couple seconds, careful, the pliers will get hot rather quickly.

pete

Get a wrench on the flywheel and turn it over just a tad before trying again. It does not turn, pull the glow plugs and try again while watching for water coming out of the plug holes. Report back, and I'll tell you the rest of the back news if you get water.

1) Most likely a bad connection between the battery and positive and check the ground, it could be there.
2) Next could be a bad solenoid or starter. On the solenoid, jump between the small terminal and the large post the battery cable is connected to. If the starter runs, then the start switch on the panel may be bad.
3) If the starter doesn't run, jump across the two large posts, sparks will fly. If the starter works then, you have a bad solenoid. If the starter doesn't work, you probably have a bad starter motor.
Most auto parts stores will check your starter for free. I bought a starter for my Onan MDL3 on eBay for $75.

Attachments

• starter & solenoid_sm.jpg
    starter & solenoid_sm.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 26
Going off a problem I had over 3 years ago, so I can't remember if mine "clicked" or just did nothing, so this may not apply, but a very inexpensive and easy thing to check.
There are 2 switches on the top left corner of my Onan generator, and without looking up the proper names, I think they are a "run" switch and a "Stop" switch. Check the position of those switches. After a bit of searching for the problem, and having talked to many people including an Onan repair company, the simple answer turned out to be correct. I probably accidentally bumped the switches to the wrong positions when I reached across the panel to open the exhaust thru hull.
I didn't find the labelling of these switches to be "self evident", so I added labels to make it clear for me.

I have had the problem with the breaker on the upper side of mine getting shut off by accident. It is in a bad location and can get shut off easily. I always get into panic mode until I remember that breaker and turn it back on. Good luck.

I had the issue with my kholer generator, it was simply a faulty battery switch which did not deliver enough power to the starter motor

Back
Top Bottom