Olympus leaves Seattle after 70+ years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwestby

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nostra Casa
Vessel Make
C&L Puget Trawler 44
Heading to new east coast owners

I love old boats like that, admire the people who preserve them, and thank god it's not mine.

Kwestby, thanks for posting that. She is headed to New York where she was built by the New York Yacht, Launch, and Engine Company. My Grandfather worked there when she was built. He was an officer and part owner of the company. My Dad may have worked on Olympus as he worked in the yard when he was young. My cousin Jane tracked down the few remaining NYYLE boats. She became pretty good friends with the owner, Diane Lander, who just sold Olympus. I met Diane once at a family reunion where another NYYLE boat took all of us for a ride here in Florida.

Wow, That's a floating Art Piece, thanks for posting it. I love the people who restore fin classics. Too much of our history gets destroyed otherwise

Beautiful boat . Thanks for posting.

Truly is a pretty one. Got to see her up close and in person when she pulled into Westview a few years back.

I was late to work that day. ?

Just awesome. I hope I see her during her travels north.

How is she getting to the East Coast? On her own bottom or by freighter?

Freighter from Victoria

A beauty. Lots of history on this boat at yachtolympus.com

A beauty. Lots of history on this boat at yachtolympus.com

I had the honor of working on her in the early 90's and the Thea Foss as a bartender during college. She is amazing and takes an experienced crew to run her safely. Sad we won't see her on the water her in the NW anymore.

I had the honor of working on her in the early 90's and the Thea Foss as a bartender during college. She is amazing and takes an experienced crew to run her safely. Sad we won't see her on the water her in the NW anymore.

Amen....a huge loss to see her go. I know very little about boats of this era, but her line looks somewhat Trumpy-like to me. Originally built in New York, she's returning to her old stomping grounds. Thanks for posting this.

The first frame of that video is interesting to me in a couple of ways. One, the boat. We did some major wood repairs on her in the Seattle shipyard I worked at quite a few years ago, so I got to know the boat pretty well. Ahead of her are some yellow and blue tugs. That is Western Towboat Co where I worked as deckhand and Mate for about 11 years when my shipyard job was slow, usually in the summer.

She is going to be unloaded in Fort Lauderdale. I'm going to try to get up to see her.

Gorgeous... absolutely beautiful. Now that's a Yacht.

Beautiful little ship!
I wonder what the definition of a 'Gentleman's Yacht' is?
Quite different from a trawler I think.
I wonder if I can call my Cheoy Lee a gentleman's yacht? It would certainly imply a huge upgrading of my social status.

Gorgeous... absolutely beautiful. Now that's a Yacht.

Welcome back Janice, very glad to see you here again, I missed you. Hopefully you had a full recovery, take very good care ! ?⚓

Pilou

Attachments

• IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2459.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 152
Beautiful little ship!
I wonder if I can call my Cheoy Lee a gentleman's yacht? It would certainly imply a huge upgrading of my social status.

Nothing about the social status of her owner, not a matter of price, lenght or cruising range.

She will probably be made of wood and will most likely have elegant lines in the art of slowly going, a special atmosphere based on a feeling. Some things cannot be explained, they are just left to discretion.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 47
Beautiful little ship!

Your Cheoy Lee would certainly qualify......As long as you hold up your end!:thumb:

I had the privilege of a close inspection of Olympus several years ago when she was tied up (reciprocal privileges) at RVYC one sunny, summer morning. Her owners were aboard (nice folks and then in good health). Far above the standards of any other yacht I have seen, bar none. Too bad there aren't the Classic Yacht crowd on the west coast that can afford to keep her here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom