older trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeniseO30

So.. if by some act of a higher power I do find a way to own one of these beauties I'm sure she would be older. My funds, if I do find a way to ge the equity out of my house would (guessing) keep me to well under 30k.

A little history, I'm a non traditional woman that owned an HVAC business for most of my adult life. (3rd gen) I did most of the work on my sailboat. Refrigeration, rewiring the engine, panel, and plumbing hot water, battery systems. etc. I'm also an avid woodworker and small wooden boat builder (but wise enough to know own larger)
My son was my right hand in most of this but left this earth at an early age. Of course my daughters are married with children.

I hate hot weather and would want to be in the northern parts of the country. ICW touring seems like fun but not in June - August.

I am interested in trawler construction what to look at and for. Fiberglass is great but hides allot of rot in stringers, transoms, decks..

Yes, I firmly believe in having the Survey when it finally comes to a purchase agreement. but in the meantime. :whistling:

Casual searching, seems to land me in late 70s to mid 80s boats.. I'm still thinking 28-32 feet. single inboard (with back up outboard):rolleyes:

Just some examples of what I may end up with. Refitting.. NOT a problem but not a life :)
No where ready or even close to buying!
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/11263

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/17076

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
If I ever do get the equity from selling my house , I'm quite sure I'll be well under 30k that would seem to land me in the late 70s to mid 80s boats.

Would love to hear thoughts and experiences with older boats.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Denise, Older boats can be a great buy. However, you end up trading money spent for time spent working on them. If you have the energy, time, and willingness to learn an entirely new set of skills, they can be wonderful.

Hi Dave
Not a problem in that area, my business was HVAC & home improvements my son and I used to build small wooden boats. adapted my skills when I got into larger boats, mechanically refit my sailboat,. Refrgeration, charging fuel, electrical plumbing etc and given that trawlers seem more like campers then any other boat :thumb: But I need to learn more about trawlers construction even though I would still have a survey when the day comes

Deinise - we did a full refit on our 1984 Pearson 303. Working on our trawler isn't much different, although it is much newer. The main difference is a few more systems. The main issues on trawlers will be built much like sailboats - cored or solid hull, cored or solid deck, different cores, etc. Given that the engines are much larger and more expensive, the main things I'd be looking for in an older trawler would be a solid engine and transmission, and lack of water/core damage. That and if it has a generator, making sure that is also in good shape. We've found the other stuff isn't all that difficult or more expensive.

Hi Dave
Not a problem in that area, my business was HVAC & home improvements my son and I used to build small wooden boats. adapted my skills when I got into larger boats, mechanically refit my sailboat,. Refrgeration, charging fuel, electrical plumbing etc and given that trawlers seem more like campers then any other boat :thumb: But I need to learn more about trawlers construction even though I would still have a survey when the day comes

You have the skills then, it is just the time. With that, an older boat can be a bargain much like a sailboat. The key will be the engine. If it is in good shape the rest of it is no different than an older sailboat in my opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 75-year-old boat if she was maintained throughout its life. I'd walk away from a three-year-old boat if it had been ignored. All depends on present condition and maintenance history.

Even though you have the skills to maintain an old trawler I would avoid some types:

Most Taiwan built trawlers in the 70/80s used plywood constructed superstructures with a thin skin of fiberglass pasted over it in place. This is opposed to the much better construction technique of molding each superstructure component and assembling those components. My Mainship Pilot 34 uses the later technique but it was built in 2003 in the US.

To make matters much worse, some Taiwan builders that used the former technique used crap for plywood, sometimes literally floor sweepings at joints. When water inevitably gets past the fiberglass skin, that crappy plywood rots very quickly and you are left with two thin layers of fiberglass with mush in between.

The good Taiwan built trawlers use real marine plywood. This plywood has all plies filled (the little football shaped plugs you see on the outside is also on the plies on the inside). And they probably seal the corners much better when the fiberglass layer is put on so that 1) It doesn't leak as bad and 2) if it does leak, it doesn't rot because the plywood is much better inside.

I had a friend who owned one of these leaky TTs and the superstructure was falling apart. He was a skilled wood worker. So he took a chainsaw to the super structure and rebuilt it from scratch. You probably don't want to do that.

Unfortunately, you can't easily tell in advance which kind of trawler you have. Certainly a Grand Banks was built with the better technique, but even it is subject to some leakage and rot, always around the windows. But poke around the outside and inside of the superstructure. If you find lots of mush, run don't walk away. And if you do get to a survey, a good surveyor can find much more.

But at the budget you are talking about, maybe it is best to accept some crappy construction and rot, use the boat and when you are tired of it, sell and leave it to some other poor sod. I rather doubt you will find one free of rot.

David

Denise - I did what you are getting ready to do. Older boats are fine as long as they are seaworthy and mechanically sound. You may have to do a lot of clean up and bright work, but that is all of the experience of an older vessel. We bought a '78 Albin Double Cabin that needed appearance work. It rides well and is very stable, and the hull is not a cored hull - which was a reason I avoided another boat that we seriously considered. Do your homework and get a good survey and make sure your contract is contingent on survey and sea trial.

We looked for an older boat on purpose because we like the appearance more than the newer boats, and didn't mind the work. Keep in mind something that I've read here - I look at this as a ten year plan, so I don't have to get everything finished this year.

Good luck.
mike

My O'Day had a few wet spots in the deck i knew about, after the survey on her about 10 yrs age and after seeing a few surveyors at work, clearly, the plastic hammer is a very valuable tool! And from experience, moisture meters are not really all that reliable or accurate. Core samples tell allot, but we don't get to drill holes in boats until after we own them!

Last edited:
I did what you are considering and ended up with a Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser. Needs plenty of work but the boat hull and decks are good. Be ready to work on ALL the systems in an old boat but like Island Dreamer, I like the looks of the older boats better in most cases. I couldn't have afforded a newer boat this size right now and have been using mine as we fix her up. I suggest using the boat as is unless a system needs a total replacement. This way you learn what you really need and want as opposed what looks cool and shiny. lol.

Kevin

I'm on my second year of a refit on a 1980 Hershine 37. Close to launch now. Take a look at my blog listed in my avatar, and you will see what rot looks like! I rebuilt bilge,stringers, fuel tanks, transmission, prop, injection pump, most windows and walls. Many of these problems are typical. Why did I do it? Not sure now but ill tell you in a few years! :thumb:

Stringers? Yeah gads! I know how to work fiberglass.. but would rather not do structure unless I really loved a boat that could be "worth" the personal value.

That leads me to ask, how inspect-able is below the sole and behind hull liner/ wall panels on some of these boats?

I was thinking "more" accessible then sailboats.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Tollycraft. Excellently built classic boats... good to purchase - if been well cared for. Reasonable prices too! Some are diesel, some gas. Good choice in sizes. May not be too many in your area. But, then again, the "right" one may be for sale near by.

even surveys can miss a severely hydrolyzed bottom that has been sitting in warm water for too long...

Attachments

• Photo337.jpg
    Photo337.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Photo343.jpg
    Photo343.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Photo338.jpg
    Photo338.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Photo344.jpg
    Photo344.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Photo336.jpg
    Photo336.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 124
Make sure you enjoy it in the process. Take it out and run it. Some hidden things won't show up until it is being used, then they can get fixed. Diesels love to run and don't do well when left sitting.

even surveys can miss a severely hydrolyzed bottom that has been sitting in warm water for too long...

Every time you show/tell things about that unexpected situation :eek: ... I feel for you.

Well, I bought a 1978 Marine Trader three years ago. Changed the oil, filters and impellers and did the Great Loop, Bahamas three times and spent two summers in the Chesapeake. 14,000 miles +.

In that time the bottom has been painted twice, replaced carpets, refinished a lot of teak. I had to rebuild transmission last year because I waited to long to change out the cooler. This year the generator needed sone maintenance requiring a real mechanic.

That's it. Great older trawler. Take your time, there are some good bargains on good boats.

Good luck,
Arch

I like your realistic enthusiasm, Denise. I'm sure you'll get there. It's a fun journey, even if it may not make financial sense.
Doing your own work certainly helps control the costs somewhat, although the "list" never seems to get shorter; the boat just gets nicer.

I like your realistic enthusiasm, Denise. I'm sure you'll get there. It's a fun journey, even if it may not make financial sense.
Doing your own work certainly helps control the costs somewhat, although the "list" never seems to get shorter; the boat just gets nicer.

Than what???? :facepalm: :D

The only reason something has not broken on a boat is because it doesn't feel like breaking - yet! That includes items factory original as well as items we (you) have already fixed or added. The reason we use terms such as "she", "her" and when pissed at it "its", in referring to a (our) boat, is because their souls are female. Therefrom... one can ascertain... when you (we) keep momma happy - everybody's happy!!

Point in fact; I've never heard a boat called "he", "him", or "his". Reason: If boats carried male souls things would just be too damn simple. We men like to cater to our women... boats carry a lucky mental-extension in a man's mind's-eye (or woman's mind' eye)... for visualizing the female gender that men (or women) (you, me, we) consistently enjoy tending to. :thumb:

Happy Boat-Improvement Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Well, I bought a 1978 Marine Trader three years ago. Changed the oil, filters and impellers and did the Great Loop, Bahamas three times and spent two summers in the Chesapeake. 14,000 miles +.

In that time the bottom has been painted twice, replaced carpets, refinished a lot of teak. I had to rebuild transmission last year because I waited to long to change out the cooler. This year the generator needed sone maintenance requiring a real mechanic.

That's it. Great older trawler. Take your time, there are some good bargains on good boats.

Good luck,
Arch

That is freaking amazing! Nice score! :thumb:

This has been very helpful! :thumb: :Thanx:

I must say the maintenance and mechanical systems, woodworking and fiberglass issues of owning a boat like this (or sail) are not a problem.

The logistics and cost are overwhelming since I'd be on a shoe string budget (just like here in the house) I don't really think living aboard is necessarily cheaper but it would be mortgage free.

I think another forum has a "living aboard for $500 a month and another for $3000 a month" the prior being me and most is my guess

I do think I would be a "cool cruiser" seeking out cool and cold weather instead of Hazy Hot and Humid. I can see me wanting to be in TN or south in the winter. and Maine (Gawd I love Maine!) in summer. But that is a trip I'd probably never make, even If I had the $ resources!

It would make much better sense to "park the boat" in July and august and maybe January and February. But that raises another question are there places that will take a boat for 2-3 months only? Don't most marinas want yearly contracts only?
(I'll post these questions in another forum section soon)
Thank you everyone!

Denise, another option that has not been mentioned is to buy a boat that is not a trawler, but use it like one. That is the path we decided to take for a number of reasons.

There are a lot of nice older boats like Chris Craft, Trojan, and Silverton in your area that are in the price range you mentioned. You have to be careful because many of them are floating wrecks, but the nice ones don't sell for much of a premium and some of them have been lovingly cared for.

You would have gas engines at that price, but unless you put a lot of miles under your keel, that would most likely save you money in the long run. I think of it as almost having a semi-displacement trawler with benefits. Compared to most older trawlers of similar size, we have much more room inside the cabin and the boat is more stable at anchor, which is important as one of our daughters gets seasick. We also have the option to run at 20+ knots if we need to, though we normally cruise at six knots.

Thanks Way,, but a Trawler would be the only boat for me. I know about older powerboats. I'm in a Yacht club and years & years go by there they sit. I did come from a 30ft sailboat. really thought that was the end.. but.. I'm still wanting.. and now not having, my like for trawlers, is growing into love LOL

Hi Denise

Our Tolly is the most spacious and comfortable and sea capable 34' x 12'6" beam boat I know of. Extremely well constructed. It has twin 350 cid, 255 hp gasers that run well. Can WOT at 22/23 knots (at OMG nmpg), cruise at 16 to 17 knots (at 1 nmpg), and go 6.5 to 7 knots (that's just below hull speed - that calcs at 7.58 knots) doing 2 nmpg. On one engine at a time propels it 4.5 to 5 knots getting 3 +/- nmpg. If you do same, be sure to find out if trany for dormant engine can free wheel or if you need to lock it. Freewheel makes for a bit better nmpg. Borg Warner Velvet drive trany can free wheel. At least the models in our Tolly can.

Some of the other brands' classic aged "trawlers" or sedans like Hatts, Chris, Trojan... etc... in the 34' range will closely mimic what Tollycraft offers.

Happy Boat-Shopping Daze! - Art :speed boat:

BoatPoker there's a ChoyLee on Ebay! :facepalm:

Already getting disillusioned here.

I may have to, just by costs alone, go back to a sailboat in this quest.

. Think I'll get back to working on house until the "gotta sell this house" feeling hits me again.
:hide:

"Well, I bought a 1978 Marine Trader three years ago. Changed the oil, filters and impellers and did the Great Loop, Bahamas three times and spent two summers in the Chesapeake. 14,000 miles +."
Now that's what you are meant to do!!!
Denise if you look at my "A Bad Monkey Tail" here in General Discussions you will get an idea of what, or, how far one can go, (and you could go a lot further!). I am enjoying the project, but it is costing more than I had thought by about 30%. The above Marine Trader sounds like a dream so many people have wanted. I hope you find that for yourself!

Also if you go to Gulfstar facebook page there was a boat fore sale a month or so ago that looked like a bargain. They seemed to have done a lot of work to the boat. It was priced in the low 20s but may be a little bigger than what you were looking for.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom