Older OA 42 or Newer Bayliner 3988, Feedback wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been a full time liveaboard on my 1997 3988 for 13 years. I use it to cruise a lot and as my home. Over the years I have enjoyed it and spent $$ on upgrading the systems. 2 new engines installed myself. Most other work I do myself as well. My reasons for buying this model were many and various. It is single handable with reasonable care. I can walk from the dock to the cockpit without stairs to climb.
The galley is well laid out as are the appliances. Engine room access is quite good as well and I am 71 with all the associated creaky joints. And yes, I was able to change the holding tank vent hose myself although it was just at the end of my reach. I intend to keep on with this boat and have no reason to change.

I don’t think I would start on a trip from Maryland to the Grest Lakes with one engine not working. There are a ton of locks to go through and with only one engine that is offset the boat will be a handful to maneuver in the locks. QUOTE]

I think it's manageable if one avoids the big locks on the Seaway. Pull the dead prop, big rudders, fairly large prop on the good side, thruster. Annapolis, up the Chesapeake, Chesapeake -Delaware canal. Pick a good window for the run up to New York. Hudson to Lake Champlain to the Richelieu/Chambly, St Lawrence to Montreal, north on the Ottawa River at Montreal, Rideau, Trent-Severn.

ksanders;770826[B said:
There is nothing wrong with older boats. Nothing at all. They represent a wonderful value for the dollar, and many of them were built like tanks. For me, at that point in life, a newer boat represented less risk of future big ticket repairs, so that is where I decided to spend my money..
I couldn't agree more!:popcorn:

Last edited:
"For me, at that point in life, a newer boat represented less risk of future big ticket repairs, so that is where I decided to spend my money."

Perhaps, but when electronic ignition repair parts cost as much as a rebuilt mechanical engine , the question then becomes which mechanical engine , and how hard is it usually run?

Engine service lives can be approximated , a lightning side strike can not.

Feedback

Great feedback.

Both very good boats for sure. Can't wait to see the OA in person. Will keep everyone informed during the process for sure!

I think we have narrowed this down to two different models that really work out well for the family. OA 42 or Bayliner 3988. If it's an OA it will be powered with the 3208 Cats and if it's a Bayliner it will be powered with the Cummins 330 HP. My must have list,
Flybridge
Salon station
Two staterooms
Sedan - easy access from salon to cockpit as I will be single handling it from time to time.
Thoughts about both? Have you owned either - better yet. Tell me about your experiences. So excited to be really focusing and hunting for our new boat to come. Leaving AK this week from a cruise I was on I can't wait to return from Portland. I plan on at least once making the inside back to Glacier. 90% of the time though poking around Portland. Once a year heading back to the San Juans. Looking forward to feedback.
Hmmm let’s see...choice between a Bentley and a Chevy

Oa 42

Three years ago purchased a 1988 OA 42,had been sitting in Newport ca for about 4 years, minimum maintenance, other than zinc's. It's got 3208 375hp turbos with around 2000hrs. Had raw water impellers,oil,& basic maintenance done and brought her up to SF. I do most of maintenance but I've been an aircraft mechanic so really no difference.
Also last month hauled out and bottom has some small blisters but not enough to get excited about.
Gel-coat on bridge cabin sides was Spyder cracked big time,hot SoCal sun didn't help but they must've been learning when glassing, epoxy putty and paint makes it presentable.
I have friends with the Bayliner and both are very comfortable, every boat is a compromise, make sure you get a good mech to check the engines! most of the systems can be repaired/replaced so get a good survey. OA's are well put together and you can even get support from Seattle. Rides very sweet not to bad fuel wise and they look like a boat should look.

OA 42' owner search

Anyone know the owner of this fine OA in Seattle?
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992/ocean-alexander-42-sedan-3547124/

Reason being, made an offer and not sure if the broker presented to the owner for consideration. Want to make sure they know I have a true desire to negotiate in good faith. Based off the response I received it doesn't appear the owner knows about the offer.

I know who the owner is. However I don’t really think it would be proper for me to reach out at this time. Washington broker’s are required to present all offers so I can’t imagine your offer not being presented. The owner of the boat is not local so expect some time before you receive an answer.

I am assuming you made an offer in writing with a deposit. If didn’t do that, then I doubt the broker will contact the owner.

Yes

I know who the owner is. However I don’t really think it would be proper for me to reach out at this time. Washington broker’s are required to present all offers so I can’t imagine your offer not being presented. The owner of the boat is not local so expect some time before you receive an answer.

I am assuming you made an offer in writing with a deposit. If didn’t do that, then I doubt the broker will contact the owner.

Yes in writing with a deposit. I am in a very similar field and have experienced that not all offers are presented. I recently was representing a client on a business transaction only to find out weeks after our offer was sent into the broker the owner never received it. That broker is no longer representing that seller. The day the contract was sent out it was received back with only a hand written dollar amount scratched in it. No initials, no signatures. Tells me it's possible the owner never saw it.

Thanks for the reply.

Doesn't sound very professional to receive a response with nothing but a dollar amount scrawled on it after a written offer with deposit. Seems like at least a brief courtesy letter response with a couple of sentences on it would be more appropriate.

Agreed

I would agree. Which is why I am still looking. Looking for that illusive Ocean Alexander now. I am open to other sedan planing boats but there aren’t too many that have the classic look of a 90s OA. Love the teak finishes.

Bellingham OA

My only concern with the one in Bellingham is that it has Detroits pushing 400 hp. Although my plan isn't to push any motors I will occasionally need to get up on plane and get to my destination sooner than later. My wife and I are still working and sometimes don't have the time we'd like to take the journey vs destination. I have done some research on these motors and the general feedback I have gathered is that they on the higher end of the HP/C.I. threshold and I shouldn't expect a long serve life. Some have commented on cost of replacement parts and in Portland we don't have really great support for these power plants. Add that all up and I am not feeling too comfortable. I'd rather have one powered by Cats or Cummins. It's still on my radar but it's not my first choice.

Got those two confused. The 88 looks like the head is pink. Also it doesn’t appear to have been finished in teak. And my lender says better rates from 90 and newer.

I will say it looks like the boat was spec’ed With white oak instead of teak. Looks factory original. The bathroom does have some sort of purple pink hue to it. I would have your broker call on it. Ask why the boat is Oak not the standard OA teak. Also verify the bathroom color, photo colors are often lies, could be white and just bad lighting. Can’t do anything about the age but the $50,000 drop in price covers a lot of interest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom