Old 12-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #41
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Oops, my mistake - meant to say "my 1994 XJS", not 2004. Yep, it's a Tata now. Even though Ford acquired Jag in 1989, this 4th version of the XJS came out in 1990 and was the last Jag designed by Jag before Ford.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Oops, my mistake - meant to say "my 1994 XJS", not 2004..
Yes, that's a very interesting car. I've never quite figured out if I like the design or not. My wife does. As with the E-Type, I don't think the roadster version of the XJS works very well. The coupe, however, has some very cool design ideas incorporated into it. I really like the rear pillar and inset rear window design, for example.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Had a Jaguar 3.8S sedan for several years. Absolutely loved the aesthetics of the car, but, boy, was it a pain in the wallet, not to mention in the hands (lots of blood shed in adjusting valves, etc). But, it's one of the cars I once had that I wish I could have afforded to store and then get back to later in life. Along with the beautiful MG Arnolt convertible that was my first car/love (but a disaster). Have since learned to live with a beer budget, modified (heresy, but in the spirit of!) Brit car. Major engine parts available at NAPA.

Always loved Brit cars. Masochistic I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Nigel.Shiftright.A Negative Attitude.jpeg   nigelnz32.jpg  
Old 12-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #44
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Nice to find that many forum members are car buffs. We own a 1994 Jaguar XJS coupe. It is our driving car when we leave the island and travel through British Columbia to Seattle and points South.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #45
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Damn! I'd like to share a photo of the car, however the instructions on how to post which I downloaded from the forum is about as confused as can be. For instants, the instructions read:

"If you use the "Quick Reply" box instead of the "Reply" button, select "Advanced Editor."
that will take you to the reply form that lets you attach a photo."

Doesn't make sense and when I initially hit the "Post quick reply" the text was posted as above.
the car photo is on my desktop.
Just not a computer person obviously.

Al
Old 12-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #46
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Heard the proud Jaguar driver`s boast? "Drove from Sydney to Melbourne and back (just under 2000km) and it only caught fire once". Crossflow heads became more valuable when Jaguar installed fuel injection with rubber(leak potential) type tube connectors. Fuel can`t drip on the exhaust headers.

If Weber`s side draft carburetor was invented after fuel injection, it would have been hailed as a great advance.

(Maybe I should just change the Thread title)
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #47
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
"If Weber`s side draft carburetor was invented after fuel injection, it would have been hailed as a great advance"
Love that one Bruce.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #48
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Doesn't make sense and when I initially hit the "Post quick reply" the text was posted as above.

Al
Al--- If you want to post a photo, select the Advanced button first. This will give you a new text window to type your post in.

After you've typed your post-- or before if you want to, it doesn't matter---scroll down in the advanced mode to find find a button that says "manage attachements."

Select this button and it will open a new, smaller window on your screen with a blank list at the top with ten spaces with buttons to the right that say "browse."

Click the first browse button and it will let you navigate to the location where your photo is (I usually put it on the desktop to make things easy).

Click on the photo and it will be loaded into the first space.

You can select up to ten photos, one at a time, until the spaces are all full.

When you have selected the photo or photos you want to post, select the button "upload" which is at the bottom right of the list spaces. Your computer will then start to upload the photos. This can take awhile depending on the number and size of the files.

Note that there is a limit to how big a photo file can be. If it's too big you computer can get "stuck" trying to load it and it will just sit there with nothing happening until you bail out of the forum.

When the photo(s) have loaded, a small list of them will appear just above where it says "Attachment key."

Once the photos have loaded, you can then close the manage attachments window and then hit submit reply under the text window for your post. After a few seconds your post and its attached photo(s) will appear at the end of the thread.

It's simpler to do than I've made it sound....
Old 12-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #49
Al
Guru

What?

Marin made it to manage attachments however while there are 10 spaces to attach or choose files, there is no "browse" anywhere on the page.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/n...f4ecb461963d2b

I did click on the first space indicated and chose a photo from my desktop, however nothing transfered as I failed to locate the "Upload" as indicated

Al
Old 12-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #50
Scraping Paint

Al-- Apparently the manage attachements window can look different depending on what computer and operating system one is using. On the Dell Windows 7 PC I use for work, the window appears as I described it, which is also the way it appears on my MacBook laptop. On this iPad, it appears as seen below. But however it appears, there should be an active button to select that allows you to select a photo to upload, and then an upload button to actually upload them.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #51
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Have since learned to live with a beer budget, modified (heresy, but in the spirit of!) Brit car. Major engine parts available at NAPA.
That little Buick aluminum V-8 is is what Rover bought from GM when they discontinued the engine and turned into the very successful Rover V-8. Rover obtained the engine when one of the Land Rover execs was visiting a friend of his in the states who raced hydroplanes. In the shop the Land Rover guy noticed a small V-8 sitting on a pallet. He asked about it and was told that it was a Buick engine, powerful for its weight, and his friend was going to use it in a race boat.

Land Rover had been casting about for a more powerful engine to put in their then-in-development Range Rover (this was in 1968 or thereabouts). The boat racing friend said that GM was taking the engine out of production and would probably be willing to sell all the tooling.

Long story short, Rover bought the tooling from GM, shipped it all back to Solihull, England, and set it up in the Land Rover plant. They made a bunch of improvements and put it into production for the Range Rover, which came out in 1969. The engine, which was originally 3.5 litres, was also used in some of Rover's bigger saloon cars. Morgan also started using it in their Plus-8.

Eventually the engine was bored/stroked out to 3.9 litres and fuel-injected, and that's what's in the Range Rover we bought new in 1991 and still use today. Morgan used it in the Plus-8, too. It was also used in the early Discoveries and handful of Defenders that were exported to the US in the 90s.

The demise of the engine came when Land Rover increased the volume to 4.2 inches in an effort to get more power. It proved to be too much for the block, which would twist under high loads. The 4.2, which was used in the Range Rover of the same name, proved to be a very bad engine.

Somewhere along in here the engine got a bullet in the head when BMW bought Land Rover. At that point, they started using a BMW engine in the vehicle and the assembly line for the aluminum V-8 was shut down. Then Ford bought them and I don't know what they did for a gas V-8 after that. Land Rover had also developed its own line of very successful diesel engines and they are what was used in most Land Rovers and Discoveries sold in Europe.

But the little V-8 had a long and successful run in the UK in it's 3.5 and 3.9 days.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #52
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Here tis - just before it was hauled off - totaled by the insurance co - incredible hail storm - may be difficult to see the hundreds of dings . Took the $ and bought a Mercedes E-Class - great car, just not as classy - and the girls don't look at me any more. My wife likes that though.
Attached Thumbnails
Jag.jpg  
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #53
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
The aluminium 3.5l V8 was also installed in the Triumph TR8.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #54
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
FoxtrotCharlie,
Yup .... the girls do love those Jaguars. I had several (3) actually hop inside the passenger seat of my 140 roadster while at a light. Dated one of them. She was the nuttiest girl friend I ever had. Jaguar owners rarely get turned down for a date. Sorry Marin .... roadsters rule.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #55
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
FoxtrotCharlie,
Sorry Marin .... roadsters rule.
Oh, I know. But they're still ugly as sin. I had a much better pickup machine in my dating days. In Hawaii, it was a Cessna 206. In Seattle, it was a de Havilland Beaver on floats. That's how I snagged the girl who is now my wife.

Let's see.... "Wanna go for a ride in my car?" or "Wanna go for a ride in my plane over to Maui for the day?"

And in Seattle it was, "Hey, you wanna fly up to Rosario for lunch in my floatplane on Saturday?"

Worlds better than a stupid car. I was never ONCE turned down for a date in a plane. And that included fashion models in Hawaii who wouldn't have given me the time of day if I'd asked them out on a car date.

It's all about style, dude.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #56

City: Vancouver BC
Thanks Marin, I've been waiting years for an excuse to post this photo
Also, old dudes cruising for babes
Attached Thumbnails
beaver tail.jpg   morgan.jpg  
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #57
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That little Buick aluminum V-8 is is what Rover bought from GM when they discontinued the engine and turned into the very successful Rover V-8. Rover obtained the engine when one of the Land Rover execs was visiting a friend of his in the states who raced hydroplanes. In the shop the Land Rover guy noticed a small V-8 sitting on a pallet. He asked about it and was told that it was a Buick engine, powerful for its weight, and his friend was going to use it in a race boat.

Land Rover had been casting about for a more powerful engine to put in their then-in-development Range Rover (this was in 1968 or thereabouts). The boat racing friend said that GM was taking the engine out of production and would probably be willing to sell all the tooling.

Long story short, Rover bought the tooling from GM, shipped it all back to Solihull, England, and set it up in the Land Rover plant. They made a bunch of improvements and put it into production for the Range Rover, which came out in 1969. The engine, which was originally 3.5 litres, was also used in some of Rover's bigger saloon cars. Morgan also started using it in their Plus-8.

Eventually the engine was bored/stroked out to 3.9 litres and fuel-injected, and that's what's in the Range Rover we bought new in 1991 and still use today. Morgan used it in the Plus-8, too. It was also used in the early Discoveries and handful of Defenders that were exported to the US in the 90s.

The demise of the engine came when Land Rover increased the volume to 4.2 inches in an effort to get more power. It proved to be too much for the block, which would twist under high loads. The 4.2, which was used in the Range Rover of the same name, proved to be a very bad engine.

Somewhere along in here the engine got a bullet in the head when BMW bought Land Rover. At that point, they started using a BMW engine in the vehicle and the assembly line for the aluminum V-8 was shut down. Then Ford bought them and I don't know what they did for a gas V-8 after that. Land Rover had also developed its own line of very successful diesel engines and they are what was used in most Land Rovers and Discoveries sold in Europe.

But the little V-8 had a long and successful run in the UK in it's 3.5 and 3.9 days.
Ironically I have the buick version of the aluminum v8 sitting in my shop. It is fully marinized with offenhauser water cooled headers and a BW Velvet drive attached. I got it 25 years ago in a 19' chris craft racing runabout I found. I sold the hull over 10 years ago to pay for my shop. I plan to find the right hull to drop it into some day. With the headers , starter and accessories off the block I can actually lift it up solo.

Merry Christmas,
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That little Buick aluminum V-8 is is what Rover bought from GM when they discontinued the engine and turned into the very successful Rover V-8. Rover obtained the engine when one of the Land Rover execs was visiting a friend of his in the states who raced hydroplanes.
Yes, and I believe the exec may have been J. Bruce McWilliams who, with his wife who was somehow involved in the sale on the GM side, lived in Deer Isle in recent years up until his death.

Not counting the early MGB Rover V8 conversions done by Ken Costello, the Rover 3.5 was used in factory MGB GTs for a short production run for British home sale only. Although a few of them eventually made their way over here.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #59
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Bah! I'd rather push a Triumph than drive an MG. Got one of these, in not quite as good shape in the garage...

Old 12-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #60
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Bah! I'd rather push a Triumph than drive an MG. Got one of these, in not quite as good shape in the garage...

Have to agree

I had a friend in HS his father owned a few MG dealerships and when they were about to go out of business he took 100 of them and moth balled them

I wonder if he ever started selling them
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote