Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 AM   #21

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisspain View Post
Try taking the anode out altogether. If the water has h2so4 it will release hydrogen sulfide ( rotten eggs). Worth a try
Dennisspain is on the right track. Check out this link

Solving rotten-egg odor in water heaters with aluminum/zinc, powered anodes

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Consider trying an ozone generator. Run too long I believe it has deleterious affect on plastics etc. Simple to use,worked for us, though that was at home.
I have used one after all the stink issues were addressed in the boat. They work fantastic in reducing residual orders. Used a couple of times a year will keep the odors under control. They also help to get rid of residual diesel smells. This is the one I have, but there are many that will do the same thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Comme...JD0DRJ9BE18HKV

The other suggestion is a good dehumidifier running full time while you are away. It will need to drain down a sink so it won't shut off once the tank if full. The lower humidity will help you lower the mold/mildew issues that can cause odors. The damn stuff grows behind cabinets and along the hull sides if the humidity is too high. DampRid might look like it is working, but when you are taking 2 gallons of water out of the air in your boat daily with a dehumidifier, you will see the difference in the smell pretty quickly in the PNW.

By the way, do you have a hollow keel or part of one? If so, you may have something growing there that will keep stinking until you find the hole in your bilge that is allowing water to get into it and letting stink back out. I had this issue from open screw holes under a bilge pump that was removed by a previous owner. I opened it up and cleaned the 6" hollow space under the bilge floor and above the solid part of the keel. Then resealed up the holes. That alone fixed 90+ percent of the odor causing smell in my last boat.

Good luck!

S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Well, as to diesel, I love the smell. Now sewage is another matter.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #24
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Well, as to diesel, I love the smell. Now sewage is another matter.
I love the smell of diesel and grease in the early morning, that's always something that reminds me that I am in the best place I can be

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #25
Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I love the smell of diesel and grease in the early morning, that's always something that reminds me that I am in the best place I can be

L
Growing up I spent some of my teenage years as a deckhand on a party boat and that was some of the best years of my life. The smell of diesel and a cup of coffee at 4AM as we headed out to the Kelp beds was a breath of heaven.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: AR
Ha, I wish all I was fighting was generic boat smell. Generic boat smell is perfume compared to whatever crawled up the water line and died in the water heater....We're replacing the water heater in the spring when we launch.

That may or may not be necessary...what's make/age of your water heater?
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Ha, I wish all I was fighting was generic boat smell. Generic boat smell is perfume compared to whatever crawled up the water line and died in the water heater....We're replacing the water heater in the spring when we launch.

That may or may not be necessary...what's make/age of your water heater?
Thanks Peggie. Sorry for the delay, I had to break out the manuals since the boat is an hour away like a popsicle on jackstands at the moment. It's an Attwood EHM6 (six gallon). The boat is a 1996, but that heater may not be original. I have a copy of the previous owner's 2004 survey and it was there then, so that would make it at least 14 years old. According to Attwood's website they say they started producing marine hot water heaters "20 years ago" so that would be about right. I found the manual (pretty short, really just an info sheet) and it does talk about a flushing routine for bad smell. The city water at the marina is pretty good as far as I can tell, zero odor or taste or sulfur, so I'm not sure Attwood's directions apply here. I might give the flush routine a try before we replace the whole thing. I don't see anything about a sacrificial anode though.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...2011.19.07.pdf
kthoennes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #28
Guru

ALL water, city or marina has thingies growing in it. Some survive the chlorine, Non use for a while makes it go sour. If I dont put chlorine in tanks and flush through the pipes every so often I will get tat smell. If you dont use the heater for a while I could see how all the water i it could go sour.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #29
Guru

I don't see anything about a sacrificial anode though.

According to Attwood's website, their EHM6 water heater has an aluminum alloy tank...they don't mention whether the aluminum is anodized or not. No mention of an anode either, so I doubt if it has one.

Their owners manual includes the following:

FLUSHING TO REMOVE UNPLEASANT ODOR
rotten egg odor (hydrogen sulfied) may be produced when the electrogalvanic action of the cladding material releases hydrogen from the water if sulfur is present in the water supply the two will combine and produce
an unpleasant smell.

1. Turn off main water supply. Drain the water heater tank and reinstall
drain plug. Remove the pressure-temperature relief valve. Mix
solution of 4 parts white vinegar to two parts water. With a funnel,
carefully pour solution into tank.
2. Cycle water heater with the above solution, letting it run under normal
operation 4-5 times.
3. Remove the drain plug and thoroughly drain all water from the tank.
Flush the water heater to remove any sediment. You may flush the
tank with air pressure or fresh water. pressure may be applied
through either the inlet or outlet valves on the rear of the tank or
through the pressure-temperature relief valve coupling located on the
front of the unit.

Highly unlikely that sulfur is present in any municipal water supply, but what the heck...draining and flushing it is worth a try before you spend the money for a new water heater. I wouldn't add chlorine though...it's HIGHLY corrosive and can actually exacerbate the problem.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Highly unlikely that sulfur is present in any municipal water supply, but what the heck...draining and flushing it is worth a try before you spend the money for a new water heater. I wouldn't add chlorine though...it's HIGHLY corrosive and can actually exacerbate the problem.
There isnt any sulfur in the water. Its the things that live in the water and DIE that produce sulfur dioxide. Even city water treated properly has things that are harmless living in it. Normally the turnover is rapid enough that they dont die but in an unused boat they die and decay.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #31

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Quote:
Well, as to diesel, I love the smell....
My late father-in-law was a gifted machinist. He loved old boats and had one his whole life; it had an ancient and enormous old Meadows diesel. He bought diesel cars and trucks before anyone really had them in the US.

In his shop he had a perfume atomizer containing diesel!

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post

My late father-in-law was a gifted machinist. He loved old boats and had one his whole life; it had an ancient and enormous old Meadows diesel. He bought diesel cars and trucks before anyone really had them in the US.

In his shop he had a perfume atomizer containing diesel!
I sure understand that sentiment. The smell of my garage/workshop is a comforting mix of lumber, wood shavings, WD-40 from wiping down the bare metal parts of machine tools, potting soil, and a faint trace of gas from the lawn mower, chain saw, lawn tractor, leaf blower and power washer. One whiff of that smell is the best anti-anxiety medication I know.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #33

Quote:
There isnt any sulfur in the water. Its the things that live in the water and DIE that produce sulfur dioxide. Even city water treated properly has things that are harmless living in it. Normally the turnover is rapid enough that they dont die but in an unused boat they die and decay.

Iíd follow Atwoodís cleaning recommendations. The city water will contain some sulfates, and the corrosion of the aluminum might reduce these to H2S. I didnít bother to research the chemistry but Iíll bet Atwood did!
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #34

City: Sacramento
Vessel Name: River Roost
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiculo View Post
I agree with vent the bilge.... .
I really like this solution. Can you give some guidance on type of fan? Obviously it will need to be rated for continuous use.... Thanks!
tom.gohring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #35
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #36
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Presuming you're docked with shore power, just buy the cheapest fan at a Home Despot or similar, made by our friends in Red China. I've run one in my house basement continuously for about half of the last three years. It's plugged into a GFI, was going fine when I unplugged it last October, and it ran fine when I had to dry up after an ingress of water a month ago.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #37
Guru

How would venting the bilge have any impact on how the water in a water heater smells???

A wet dirty bilge is a primordial soup that can make a whole boat smell like a swamp or even a sewer...venting will only blow stinky air out to perfume the air outside the boat...something your dock neighbors won't appreciate. Cleaning the bilge is only way to eliminate odor from it...really CLEAN it instead of just dumping some "miracle" product and some water into it to swish around and calling it done.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 03-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #38

City: Sacramento
Vessel Name: River Roost
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
Dear HeadMistress, this is good advice. I've recently acquired my dreamboat: plan to clean up the bilge (yes, really clean it up) AND add some additional ventilation.

Dear DHeckrotte, I'll see what Home Depot has to offer.

Cheers, Tom
tom.gohring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #39
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I thought the OP was about general boat odors. H2S was simply a side issue. Yup, like everyone is suggesting, ventilate. We leave 2 fans running in most every cabin. We started with 1 per but bought a bunch on sale ($11 ea, I think) so we figured why not run them all. 10 running on high and oscillating as we speak.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lakewood-...11&wpa_bucket=

This vendor has a variety of interesting fans that might easily be adapted with plastic dryer vent tubing to blow the bilge. After cleaning, of course.

Dayton Squirrel Cage Electric Blowers for woodstoves and more - Electric Motor Warehouse
Old 03-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #40
Guru

My apologies, it was my fault really for drifting the thread from general boat aroma to water heater stank. In retrospect I should have started another thread (even though this one has been really helpful and I sure appreciate the advice and opinions). We keep a small clip-on fan running on one of the screened-in bathroom portholes too, but to me that just deals with the symptom -- pretty effectively I admit, but doesn't address the cause or the source. It ultimately just vents the smell to outside the boat and toward my slip neighbor, which isn't very nice. Either way I don't want to be known as the stinky boat on Dock A.