Oil Lamp on Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cruise-ship lines prohibit passengers using open flames. But it is your boat, so do what you like.

A properly trimmed wick and lamp oil will not leave soot. I used several in my sailing days and they were great at warming the cabin. Light output was minimal but we were in bed early most evenings. Trawler now has LED lighting. Oil lamps in basement somewhere.

My apartment building prohibits candles, even for use by those who have taken candle-safety certification courses and never have had any type of accident in their life.

If it is ambience that you're after, we have these aboard. Surprisingly realistic flickering, but one would have to light matches and drip wax on the table to get the traditional feel.

I've used a Weems & Plath oil lamp for many years. It's one of my favorite additions to the boat. Lamp oil (not kerosene) is clean and safe as others said. I never leave a flame unattended, but I have zero hesitation about using this. No soot, faint smell that I find pleasant, and cozy/warm lighting. Also, it's not really an open flame, as there is a glass globe, brass structure around it.

I've used a Weems & Plath oil lamp for many years. It's one of my favorite additions to the boat. Lamp oil (not kerosene) is clean and safe as others said. I never leave a flame unattended, but I have zero hesitation about using this. No soot, faint smell that I find pleasant, and cozy/warm lighting. Also, it's not really an open flame, as there is a glass globe, brass structure around it.

My sentiments exactly! There's nothing better than sitting out enjoying the night that way. An LED light, even the realistic candle type, just isn't the same. My mother enjoys her electric fake fireplace the flickers and crackles, but just doesn't do anything for me.

One of our favorite things about being out on the hook is lighting candles in the evening. The attached image was taken last Easter and interior is lit solely by candles. It was still a little cool thus the fireplace was also on.

The only candles we use are in glass or metal containers, and are only used when we are present and in benign conditions. We are Weems & Plath dealers and have often thought about getting one of the gimbaled bulkhead mounted oil lamps. We had one for years on our sailboat and very much enjoyed it.

Someone mentioned that oil lamps were used for centuries and electric light are relatively new. Which made me chuckle as I imagined this conversation back then going something like "I won't have any electricity on my boat. It could cause a fire!"

Attachments

• Easter evening.jpg
    Easter evening.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 16
Check out Aladdin lamps.....mantle, but not pressurized. They put out light equivalent to a 60w elec bulb....or turn down as desired.....their 'Caboose' style was a railroad mainstay

Besides a great ambiance, the touch of heat produced is most welcome on cool nights and mornings!

Many styles.....https://www.lehmans.com/category/aladdin

Does the mantle hold up. I was told they are too fragile for boat use, but if they're used on trains maybe it could work. Which lamp(s) out of Lehman's catalog do you like?

I have had a couple weems and plath lamps that have followed me from boat to boat for many years. Solid brass will last a long time. I had a gimbaled smaller version on a sailboat that I left for the new owners.

Check out Aladdin lamps.....mantle, but not pressurized. They put out light equivalent to a 60w elec bulb....or turn down as desired.....their 'Caboose' style was a railroad mainstay

Besides a great ambiance, the touch of heat produced is most welcome on cool nights and mornings!

Many styles.....https://www.lehmans.com/category/aladdin

As a result of this discussion, I set about checking around for other hanging oil lamps. I already have a DHR Mini-Trawler, that you can still get, but it doesn't have a mantle, only a wick. It's wonderful light, but really not enough to read by. And I can't use a gimbaled wall mount variety because I just don't have the bulkhead space, so I need a hanging "trawler lamp" variety.

But the supply is pretty weak out there. Aladdin lamps seems to be failing almost entirely, and I can't find a mantle lantern of their's that's not on backorder. Weems & Plath carries the same DHR mini trawler wick lamp I already have, but nothing more. This entire discussion seems to me to be moot, unless you already own your lamps. Another victim of the times?

Well, um thanks, but as I said, the DHR and Weems & Plath (really a DHR) lamps that are trawler-type (hanging) and still available, are lamps with wicks and no mantles. So not really "lamps galore" There are only two of these types available (the DHR Mini-Trawler and the Clipper). Aladdin seems to be out of the picture as far as I can tell, which seemed like a pretty good lamp to try for more light.

As a result of this discussion, I set about checking around for other hanging oil lamps. I already have a DHR Mini-Trawler, that you can still get, but it doesn't have a mantle, only a wick. It's wonderful light, but really not enough to read by. And I can't use a gimbaled wall mount variety because I just don't have the bulkhead space, so I need a hanging "trawler lamp" variety.

But the supply is pretty weak out there. Aladdin lamps seems to be failing almost entirely, and I can't find a mantle lantern of their's that's not on backorder. Weems & Plath carries the same DHR mini trawler wick lamp I already have, but nothing more. This entire discussion seems to me to be moot, unless you already own your lamps. Another victim of the times?

Quite a few on Ebay........see the general link below...

While there, do a search for 'Alladin Genie Three'.....a dozen or so listed

We like this model for two reasons...first, its designed like the Caboose model
with a large, stable base.....

second, is the possibility that a genie may someday appear....if like Elizabeth Montgomery, I'll likely keep her and wish for nothing more!..

...but if an old, old Swami appears, ask for a Fleming, and he can go back inside the lamp if he so chooses lol!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...din+lamp&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=stamas

second, is the possibility that a genie may someday appear....if like Elizabeth Montgomery, I'll likely keep her and wish for nothing more!..

Ummmm.... Barbara Eden?

I have Aladin lamp at a mountain cabin. But they all seem quite fragile (literally - many are glass) and tall/unstable. I don't really see them having a place on a boat. Are there models I've missed?

Peter

The lamp in post #8 is what I have except in the larger size. Last I checked they come in 2 sizes. The have a large hook on top for hanging or can be set on a table or counter. The gimbal mount is optional and is not part of the lamp itself.

The lamp in post #8 is what I have except in the larger size. Last I checked they come in 2 sizes. The have a large hook on top for hanging or can be set on a table or counter. The gimbal mount is optional and is not part of the lamp itself.
Interestingly, I believe the wick on both sizes is the same. Larger one stores more oil, but wick is the same.

Ummmm.... Barbara Eden?

I have Aladin lamp at a mountain cabin. But they all seem quite fragile (literally - many are glass) and tall/unstable. I don't really see them having a place on a boat. Are there models I've missed?

Peter

Hi Peter. I'm confused. You posted a picture of a lamp earlier and said you felt it was safe, now you are saying otherwise. The picture you posted is what I have and it is very sturdy and stable. The base that hold the fuel is very thick and heavy brass so it is not top-heavy. Yes there is some glass, but that is also fairly thick and will not break easily. It's hard for me to imagine how you could cause one of these style lamps to break in a way that would cause a fire. It's also fully protected from wind.

Interestingly, I believe the wick on both sizes is the same. Larger one stores more oil, but wick is the same.

I think that's true but I no longer have the smaller one as I sold it with a previous boat. I'm not sure that it matters much, probably just standardization by the maker. I don't use them as reading lamps, but I suppose you could. A Kindle doesn't need one.

Hi Peter. I'm confused. You posted a picture of a lamp earlier and said you felt it was safe, now you are saying otherwise. The picture you posted is what I have and it is very sturdy and stable. The base that hold the fuel is very thick and heavy brass so it is not top-heavy. Yes there is some glass, but that is also fairly thick and will not break easily. It's hard for me to imagine how you could cause one of these style lamps to break in a way that would cause a fire. It's also fully protected from wind.
I was talking specifically about the Aladdin line of lamps. I have and use oil lamps - the W&P sconce style with gimbal is great. Ones that hang from a hook swing too much and are annoying.

Attached is a screen shot of Page 1 of a Google search "Aladdin oil lamp." All are beautiful. None are appropriate for a boat. Just wondering if there are other models that would work on a boat.

Peter

1967439343.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Peter and I agree with you. Seems simple enough to me, buy a lamp made for marine use. If you google "marine oil lamp" you'll see lots of options. Note that the miner's style lamp was designed to be safe for use in a mine where there could be explosive gas present. Also this info from Defender:

Marine Oil Lamps

Why would I choose to have an oil lamp?

Not long ago before electricity was readily available on watercraft, oil lamps were very common. In fact, whaling was once the largest source of oil lamp oil in the world, before the practice was largely eliminated due to conservation efforts and the arrival of petroleum based lamp oil. Electricity was once considered unreliable on board watercraft vessels due to the harsh nature of the marine environment. The aqueous environment also increased the chance of electrocution if there was a problem.
Water often corrodes and shorts out electrical wiring and this can leave you at the mercy of the dark. Modern marine wiring is much more reliable, and safer, however as any good sailor knows, it is always good to have a backup. Plus, there is just something about the glow of a brass and marine oil lamp. Not only are they beautiful to look at, but they are extremely reliable and provide hours of light in just about any conditions.
What options do I have for oil lamps?

• Anchor lamps: Indoor and outdoor lamp that will not blow out in the wind.
  • Yacht lamps: A more stylish lamp that can be at home on a table or outdoors. Wind resistant and vented.
  • Berth lamps: Easily set in a wall mount sconce or at home on a horizontal surface.
  • Spinnaker lamps: Casts light to illuminate in a single direction with help of a spinnaker and shade.
  • Replacement parts: Keeps your lamps in working condition, rather than replacing entire units.
  • Wall mounts: Perfect for keeping your lamps secure and out of the way while lighting up the room.
  • Lamp gimbals: The ideal mount for lamps on bulkheads.
  • Wall brackets: Secure your lamp to walls and out of the way.
  • Oil lamp conversion kits: Convert your favorite oil lamp to electricity and keep your favorite aesthetic.
Lamp Fuel

Liquid paraffin lamp oil is a cleaner burning, low odor, and long-lasting type of lamp fuel. Unlike kerosene, which produces a lot of soot, and can be very odiferous, paraffin wax fuel gives off a lot of light and will burn for hours without being overpowering. Not nearly as volatile and producing less carbon monoxide as other fuels, paraffin is somewhat safer to use in closed environments. Defender offers a wide assortment of paraffin lamp fuels and accessories.

Last edited:
Ummmm.... Barbara Eden?

Peter

Uh, yep....getting my Jeanies and Witches pleasantly mixed up.....either acceptable lol!

The Caboose style is metal, stable, easy to read by, wall mount available....details here..

https://oldfirelights.wordpress.com...e-on-the-rails-aladdin-caboose-kerosene-lamp/

I received a very nice hanging brass oil lamp for my birthday. It’s beautiful and very nautical.

My question is would you be completely afraid to light it inside the cabin in a secluded cove or at the Marina?

Hawk

Use it and enjoy it, while observing all safety measures. We used one in the Pacific Northwest for years and loved it. The light, heat and the fact that it kept the moisture down were all compelling reasons. As many have said - lamps used wisely were used exclusively for decades and many still use them today. We still have our lamp but don’t use it as much in Florida due to the heat.

I was talking specifically about the Aladdin line of lamps. I have and use oil lamps - the W&P sconce style with gimbal is great. Ones that hang from a hook swing too much and are annoying.

Attached is a screen shot of Page 1 of a Google search "Aladdin oil lamp." All are beautiful. None are appropriate for a boat. Just wondering if there are other models that would work on a boat.

Peter

View attachment 126898

i like the hanging ones. they make a lot of light when you want it. but i run another line or bungee straight down from the bottom of the lamp so it doesn't swing.

Isn't the requirement 2 mile visibility ?

Your question made me go HMMMM.
I looked it up and for vessels my size it is one mile, at least according to my book. I will recheck when I can find a more recent book.

Since most of my anchorages have been in places less than 2 mile across I have not paid attention.

So technically you are correct for a larger vessel..

My boat never came with either an anchor light nor a fwd. steaming lgt.
I corrected the fwd. steaming light many years ago.

I will check the range of my light and maybe turn it up a bit. Maybe even rig a 12V lgt. if that does not take care of it.

I grew up with a father who owned a succession of custom wooden sailboats. We only used oil lamps. Never a problem! A smoke bell saves the overhead from soot. I love the warm light and have a hanging oil lamp on my 42 GB Classic. As was mentioned earlier an oil lamp does put out heat. A problem in Fl. maybe. But on a cold rainy night anchored out in Block Island the heat was welcomed. Of course, we could have cranked up the generator and turned the reverse cycle to heat--no way. Enjoy the hanging lamp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom