Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #1

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
Oil Change

OK, I have searched and cant find a thread on how to most effectively do this. I have Perkins M6.354's and I have that Jabsco cheap oil suction pump and reservoir. To say the least it just doesnt work. This pump... Jabsco Boat Marine Engine Oil Change Pump 3 1 2 Gallon Flat Tank 17860 0012 | eBay

I want to get all the oil out and am looking for an effective way to suction out the oil pans under the engine.

How do you guys get the oil all the way out? I dont have access to a drain on the under side of the pan...

There is this one in town, but does it work any better... Jabsco DIY Oil Change System w Pump 3 5 Gallon Bucket | eBay
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Glad I didn`t buy the first Jabsco, and they cost twice that here.
The second one looks like a no brand one I bought on Ebay. So slow, and you have to have the pick up tube positioned just right, but it got more out than before when I was using a manual pump.Cost about $65.
My mechanic uses a vacuum pump, I`ve seen it on his service boat,even though I do it myself.
My previous boat had a pump built into the Perkins engine, I grabbed the handle and pumped, lots of oil came out, fast. Wish I had them on the Lehmans.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:53 AM   #3

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
I use a plunger type vacuum pump through the dipstick, the tank is graduated so I have a good indicator of how much I've sucked out. Seems to work OK. I looked up how much oil my engine should need to be full to spec and based on my dipstick I'm always in the ballpark. Seemed to be the only way to do it since my pan doesn't have a drain plug (not that I could get at it if it did). I also have one of the electric pumps with the 3.5 gallon bucket, but in my experience it's a useless thing that's collecting dust in my garage.

I think the trick to a good oil change is to have the engine at operating temperature. I do mine after a good run soon after docking.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #4
FF
Guru

I do mine after a good run soon after docking.

This IS the key , much of the diesel oil content is addatives.

It takes time and heat for the detergents in the oil package to grab loose gunk , that came out after the last shut down , and pick it up again.

When cruising I try to plan which day will be the longest running and sked the oil change for then.

A short , say 4 hour operation , is noted in the log so I can change early the next time.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #5
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
With the engine at operating temperature as per previous posts I use a manual vacuum pump seen in the link. It works great. I have used it through the dipstick tube on previous boats and on my current Volvo they have provided a tube specifically for changing oil. This takes the oil out in just a few minutes and is graduated so you can see how much was removed.

9-1/2 Litre Manual Fluid Extractor | Princess Auto
Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We have a Reverso that connects to the Oil pan on both the tranny and engine oil pan, along with the generator and wing engine oil pans. Makes changing oil a joy.Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400500201.176248.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  29.5 KB
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

do a serch on the forum for 6.3544 oil change. There is a plate you can take off that makes the job much easier.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #8

That is how I have been accessing my oil pan (as the suggested thread above describes...) And we have come to the same conclusion a vein pump would probably work better...

I had been searching using the 6.354 NOT the 6.3544 Not sure where that extra 4 comes from, but either way it worked in the search...LOL

I have good access to the oil, i just havent foiund a cheap reliable way to get it out... I might try an simple hand pump next... if I can find one here in town... if not I may build my own vein pump style one...
Old 05-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Drill pump. 99% of the oil comes out.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #10

"drill pump"?? not sure what that is...
Old 05-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Depco sells a 12 volt oil transfer pump that can be used to build a Reverso type system fairly inexpensively. Did that after my "Exchanger" system failed after 15 years. Now I have 5 ball valves and a pump connected to the three engines and the two transmissions. For the main the 4.5 gallons are pulled out in less than a minute.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
Guru

Here you go, use it with a cordless drill. The dipstick-sized hose is shipped inside the bigger green hose.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
I smile whenever the subject of changing engine oil comes up.
These little valves and pump were one of my more worthwhile projects.

Engine oil drain valve and pump
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
The weekly missive from NorthernTool included this little pump. Lots of alternatives, but at $30.00 it might be worth considering. I use an impeller pump from Harbor Freight which costs slightly more and requires that you supply your own hose and wiring. No affliation to either etc etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil-change pump.jpg  
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Akureyri
Vessel Name: Ozimo IV
Vessel Model: 18m Gulet
Thankfully I don't have to worry about such things, but I do have a drill pump on my 42 salmon troller.

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
OK, I have searched and cant find a thread on how to most effectively do this. I have Perkins M6.354's and I have that Jabsco cheap oil suction pump and reservoir. To say the least it just doesnt work. This pump... Jabsco Boat Marine Engine Oil Change Pump 3 1 2 Gallon Flat Tank 17860 0012 | eBay

I want to get all the oil out and am looking for an effective way to suction out the oil pans under the engine.

How do you guys get the oil all the way out? I dont have access to a drain on the under side of the pan...

There is this one in town, but does it work any better... Jabsco DIY Oil Change System w Pump 3 5 Gallon Bucket | eBay
The one in the second link works fine - but, if you're sucking oil out the dipstick tube you won't get all the old oil out.

Why is that? The dipstick tube doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the oil pan. If it did, you wouldn't be able to measure the oil level with the dipstick.

I have a manual oil removing pump that I've never used but it did come with a tube to push down the dipstick tube (inside it). This should reach the bottom. I'll adapt it to the electric pump and see if I get more oil out next time.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #17

I got the 2.5 gal version I posted in the first post. I found one locally, but it was $173 AT HALF PRICE! I could have got it cheaper online, but the shipping and time it takes didnt make money sense...

BUT, it worked like a CHAMP! HIGHLY recommended!
Old 05-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I had an oil change issue w my new VW and went to the dealer. A mechanic said come and I'll show you what we use. Turns out it was a dipstick tube oil extractor just like I used on my previous boat. Was a plastic cylinder about 5"dia and 22"high w a handle and a black top. Had rings around the plastic cylinder at quart levels. You work the handle and create a vacuumed that sucks out the oil. I asked "how do you know you got it all out? He said he wondered too so he opened the drain plug on several cars after extraction and basically nothing came out.

That's the case w VW car engines but variations in engine design could make it otherwise in different engines. If you can open the drain plug you can test it like the VW man did. I may do that w my Jetta as the filter is on top of the engine and you're supposed to change the plug and gasket w every change. The plug is a star #45 socket screw plug. My Jetta takes 6 quarts of synthetic oil so the vacuumed extractor I have will require filling and unloading twice to get the job done. The longer higher capacity cylinders are available as the VW mechanic had one.

Any way it's most likely you'll get all the oil out w an extractor.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
The weekly missive from NorthernTool included this little pump. Lots of alternatives, but at $30.00 it might be worth considering.
Identical to one I bought on Ebay in Aust. Gets the oil out, but much more slowly than claimed. Keeping the extraction tube correctly positioned is critical.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #20
Guru

Ron, the tube you put down inside the dipstick hole goes all the way to the bottom. You really do get 99+% out.