Oil bypass installed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
Oil bypass filter installed

Took some time to figure which unit I wanted,and best bang for my buck was the frantz,such better oil quality as a constant never mind all the other positives

1A19EB4D-4188-4372-8345-0CCA38C26255.jpg

Attachments

• 6EBD250A-9ED2-42FC-A4FA-4E0B94D9DBB9.jpg
    6EBD250A-9ED2-42FC-A4FA-4E0B94D9DBB9.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Good idea. I run Puradyn on both mains and both gennys. Were installed by PO when motors had 500 hours on them. Now have 5500 hours on mains and I am impressed with how they have worked, how they extend oil change intervals, provide longer service life, burn off any moisture, etc... Would do it again for sure.

I installed the same Frantz on my generators and the larger Amsoil filters on the two mains. Totally agree with your points. Surprised they arn't installed on all boats considering the cost and difficulty of replacing an engine. Also, they make the synthetic filters for these filters, which filter finer and hold up better. I think they are rated to last longer between changes as well.

You should do an oil test to set the oil change interval. A Frantz is a little small for a DD. They were original designed to handle gas engines with even less soot than today's gas engines. I used it in the 1960s on a car, but found it too small for a 671. In the 1960s it would keep the oil transparent in my car using 10 for a $1 toilet paper. I suppose now they make a filter element.

It’s mounted in such an easy access spot I don’t mind changing it more frequently than supposed to if needed,anyway it’s onlt the initial cleaning of the old oil,then it just has to maintain

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom