Oil....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question along the same line - on my new to me IG32, I inherited about 5 quarts of Rotella 15W40. I did an oil change about 4 week ago, purchasing a 5 gal pail.
Is there a "best before" date on oil? The quarts on board are sealed - i.e. not been opened. My thought was to keep one for an add, just in case, and to use the balance in the next oil change.
Does oil "go bad"?

I wouldn't have any qualms about mixing different brands of the same grade of oils... after all, you'll change it out for a single brand within a couple hundred hours. Use it up then stick to one brand so you can sleep better!

Thanks for the note - I did use the same brand and grade - Shell Rotella T6 15W40.

Oil is Oil!

I have been maintaining Diesel engines most of my life. I have bought 3 new semi trucks that I was the only driver for the entire time owned. Each one had over 1 million miles when sold. I rotate between 3 different oils. As someone mentioned in an earlier post they all have different additives. I like to switch out as the different additives are mostly different detergents, and as such clean different components. Honestly these days the difference is nill! You can safely mix any oil. Even different weight oil, but that will change your overall viscosity.

Does oil "go bad"?

In a word, "No"!

But, if you're worried that it might go bad on you, just send the unopened containers to me, irrespective of the date. I like to live on the edge so I'll take the risk!

Check and see if the containers all display a Mil. Spec. number. Operational the military may have no choice but to swap oil brands in the field, that's why they have the Military Specification system. Oil companies would have you believe that this is a no-no.

Thanks for the offe to take it off my hands - however, shipping costs might be a considering factor. (Smile)
Really - thanks for the information, I really did not know.

When wine makers do it they call it Bordeaux or Burgundy, sometimes Chianti or even Meritage. There are very few true single varietal wines, especially reds which are nearly always a blend of two or more varieties. They are not always labeled as such on the bottle......
There is a difference between a blend of grapes type to get a perfect balance between fruit, strength and softness to make a wine bottle and blending bottles.
By the way Bordeaux or burgundy are geographical appellations not a name depicting a blend (and a lot of burgundy are mono cepage) :)

L

1968 and my buddy and I are hitchhiking from Ft Gordon to Atlanta on a 3 day pass. Guy picks us up, says he is a petroleum engineer, so we talk oil and fuel for a bit. He pulls into a cut rate gas station and fills up. We question him on the wisdom of cut rate gas and oil. He says for fuel if it burns, it's ok, but for oil, pick a brand, any quality brand, and stick with it. Different brands use different base stock, some from Texas, some from Pennsylvania, some from Saudi. Some play well with others, some not. Some will not even bond with the metallic surfaces until ALL the previous brand oil has worn away. Anyway, have followed his advice for 50 years on everything I own, even lawn mowers, and have never had an engine failure or worn an engine out. Usually get tired of looking at the same color car I bought 20 years prior, but never an engine problem.

Thanks. - never my intention to mix brands. What was left is exactly same brand & specs that I used.

Read the labels. I think you will find that, assuming the same viscosity, 15W-40 for example, and the same SAE designation, those oils can safely be mixed. Yes, additive packages may be slightly different but that is of no measurable consequence.

:thumb: I'm with Catalina Jack here. I doubt it would make a particle of difference. These engines are really not that fussy, and the difference the so-called 'additives' make would be negligible. For mine, I'd mix them, put them in the engine, (avoiding silly waste), and congratulate myself for not being captive to a bevvy of old house-wives tales, but maybe that's just me.

I'm the guy who ran Magnatec 10w-40 oil in the 40 year old Lehman 120 where the manual said single visc 30SAE, yet the engine 'loved' the Magnatec multi, because of its cold start protection. I run E10 fuel in my new car. Always have used it in previous cars as well. Yet still most 'mechanics' will shake their head and say..."Oooh, that's bad - I wouldn't let it near my car."
Just strange my cars have never had a single fuel related issue - not ever..! Ho, hum... :)

Back
Top Bottom