Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 01:01 AM   #21
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
OPEC+ is increasing supply in 'measured' steps, while economies are rebounding faster than energy supplies are increasing.

Worldwide demand is exceeding supply with a variety of factors contributing to it, including a group that is literally limiting their output specifically to raise prices.

U.S. production is down more than 2 million barrels from pre-pandemic levels with various factors (a combination of financial, environmental and political) tempering supply of both oil and gas output domestically.
As I said in another post, price is depedent on supply and demand, not the politician who happens to be residing in the White House. He, along with the rest of us, are along for the well as down.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:06 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
A year ago America was energy independent, a certain pipeline was being built and South Dakota was producing AMERICAN energy. Today a pipeline for Russia is OK and OPEC controls the supply.

OPEC does not control the price. Their ability to do so waned decades ago. Again, it is simple economics, supply and demand no matter how much you may wish to place blame on other things or individuals. By the way, the Keystone Pipeline, all that oil was to be EXPORTED.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:39 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"Certainly what people are willing to pay is related to their discretionary income available to pay it."

Diesel is simply heating oil ,"discretionary income" is not used to keep warm in winter.

"Part of what plan? By whom? To what end?"

This administration is directed by folks that will be delighted with Bidens goal of

$10.00 a gallon for gas, diesel and heating oil.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:39 AM   #24

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
You have to enjoy Internet experts on matters like the oil industry and the economy when you get even close to anything political. For those old enough to remember this phrase, I think we have a "220/221 whatever it takes" moment here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
The Keystone XL pipleline never operational so stopping construction had no impact on current oil supply. It was never "our" pipeline it was owned by a Canadian company ( so it would have been "imported" oil )
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
....By the way, the Keystone Pipeline, all that oil was to be EXPORTED.

It all would have been IMPORTED!
It all would have been EXPORTED!
Whatever you do, just do not point a finger at the inept administration! And if you do, we are going to shut this thread down!
Old 10-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post

A year ago the US was an exporter of oil. Today it is an importer. matters.
Do you have any resources to back this ^^ statement?

In 2020, the United States imported about 7.86 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum from about 80 countries. Petroleum includes crude oil, hydrocarbon gas liquids, refined petroleum products such as gasoline and diesel fuel, and biofuels (including ethanol and biodiesel). Crude oil imports of about 5.88 MMb/d accounted for about 75% of U.S. total gross petroleum imports in 2020, and non-crude oil petroleum accounted for about 25% of U.S. total gross petroleum imports.

In 2020, the United States exported about 8.50 MMb/d of petroleum to about 174 countries and 4 U.S. territories. Crude oil exports of about 3.21 MMb/d accounted for 38% of total U.S. gross petroleum exports in 2020. The resulting total net petroleum imports (imports minus exports) were about -0.63 MMb/d in 2020, which means that the United States was a net petroleum exporter of 0.63 MMb/d in 2020.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727&t=6
Old 10-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Certainly what people are willing to pay is related to their discretionary income available to pay it."

Diesel is simply heating oil ,"discretionary income" is not used to keep warm in winter.

"Part of what plan? By whom? To what end?"

This administration is directed by folks that will be delighted with Bidens goal of

$10.00 a gallon for gas, diesel and heating oil.
Baloney. Why would anyone wish for $10 oil. Kool-aid anyone.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Quote:
Baloney. Why would anyone wish for $10 oil. Kool-aid anyone.
There are political factors involved in the lack of U.S. production increases, as well as economic and other factors, it's a combination of things and it's a worldwide issue. I don't know of any documented statement from a U.S. politician laying out higher gas prices as a specific goal.

Here is an analysis:

Behind the Energy Crisis: Fossil Fuel Investment Drops, and Renewables Arenít Ready
Old 10-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Olypen
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Mod hat on: a gentle reminder folks that political discussions are on this board need to be directly related to boating.

Quote:
General discussions, statements, images and links that are political in nature or that reference general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to Boating are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules
Old 10-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #29

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Obama acknowledged that some resistance to efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions comes from peopleís worries about economics. ďYou canít fault somebody for being concerned about paying the bills and being able to fill up your tank to get to your job,Ē he said.
Politoco 3/17/15
The green movement comes at a cost, and we're seeing some of that now. It's worldwide and not going away. As I said, hopefully it will be worth it.
In the meantime, having a single Lehman trawler will allow us to boat during retirement, no matter what diesel costs. I wonder how many of the new large planing boats will become dock queens. Seems like there are many big new boats this year and last here in Narragansett Bay since COVID.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #30
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Mod hat on: a gentle reminder folks that political discussions are on this board need to be directly related to boating.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules
THANK YOU!!!

~Alan
Old 10-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #31

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
If that is directed at me, I contend that I'm not being political. I do have an opinion about why oil prices are rising. This is a discussion on fuel prices isn't it?
Anyway, glad I have a sipper.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #32

City: Cairns
Here in Australia, we are now paying AUD 1.60/litre or near USD 3 per gal. That's about a 10% increase on recent prices.

Most of our price is made up of state and federal taxes so a trip to PNG would probably pay for itself with a tax free 8500l fill pre departure.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #33
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I'm really trying not to be political, but it's clear that government can control the supply and demand and thus the prices. Our supply is less than the demand so prices are high.... and will most likely continue to go up for the next few years. And they can tax it more when you buy, and tax the suppliers more, and they're talking about another tax when you use it!

The demand for oil will increase in the US over the next 10 to 20 years, regardless of what strides are made with alternative forms of energy.

For boaters, I'd argue that it will still be affordable, if one's income can keep up with inflation and they are willing to spend a bit more.

I remember well when I said, if gas hits 50c a gallon, I'd quit driving... well, that didn't happen (quitting to drive).

While we all would love to see an electric powered boat that would do the same as our diesel powered boats to, but that's not in the near future, as are cars.

If money is a real issue for fuel, just quit eating for a bit to pay for your diesel.

Just topped off today for $977 at $3.15 a gallon. Seems like a major lifes expenditure, but no regrets. That's the price, and I'll bet we'll see that price increase dramatically in the next year or so.

I'm also "into" oil with some mineral rights so I watch it quite a bit. I actually have scouts that go out to the hills to see whose drilling what and how fast... fun stuff.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #34
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
edit

The demand for oil will increase in the US over the next 10 to 20 years, regardless of what strides are made with alternative forms of energy.

edit
I'm just responding to the above comment:

It is worth noting that the US per capita oil consumption has been declining
overall since the late seventies. US population growth has seen a similar curve,
with net growth near zero in the last and current year.

More accurately, the demand for oil will continue to flatten out in the coming years.
This also may have the effect of flattening the price we pay to fuel our powerboats.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
Here in Australia, we are now paying AUD 1.60/litre or near USD 3 per gal.
My math may be off but aren't you closer to USD$5 per US gallon?
Old 10-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #36
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotYet View Post
I'm just responding to the above comment:

It is worth noting that the US per capita oil consumption has been declining
overall since the late seventies. US population growth has seen a similar curve,
with net growth near zero in the last and current year.

More accurately, the demand for oil will continue to flatten out in the coming years.
This also may have the effect of flattening the price we pay to fuel our powerboats.
+1
Old 10-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
My math may be off but aren't you closer to USD$5 per US gallon?
I get $4.52 US,
1.337 $Aus per 1 $US, 3.78 l per US Gal.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #38
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
How can politics be avoided when it comes to discussing oil prices? Politics will certainly be affected because price impacts everybody's life.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
I'm really trying not to be political, but it's clear that government can control the supply and demand and thus the prices. Our supply is less than the demand so prices are high.... and will most likely continue to go up for the next few years. And they can tax it more when you buy, and tax the suppliers more, and they're talking about another tax when you use it!

For boaters, I'd argue that it will still be affordable, if one's income can keep up with inflation and they are willing to spend a bit more.

I remember well when I said, if gas hits 50c a gallon, I'd quit driving... well, that didn't happen (quitting to drive).

While we all would love to see an electric powered boat that would do the same as our diesel powered boats to, but that's not in the near future, as are cars.

If money is a real issue for fuel, just quit eating for a bit to pay for your diesel.

Just topped off today for $977 at $3.15 a gallon. Seems like a major lifes expenditure, but no regrets. That's the price, and I'll bet we'll see that price increase dramatically in the next year or so.

I'm also "into" oil with some mineral rights so I watch it quite a bit. I actually have scouts that go out to the hills to see whose drilling what and how fast... fun stuff.
So, how could or does the government control the supply and demand, perhaps supply in some small, insignificant way but certainly not demand. 8t is not at all clear to me.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #40
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
So, how could or does the government control the supply and demand, perhaps supply in some small, insignificant way but certainly not demand. 8t is not at all clear to me.
So why was Oil half the price a year ago? Was demand half of what it is now?