Ohio River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruceboating

Veteran Member
Thinking on cruising the Ohio River this summer from Pittsburg to the Mississippi river .......,,pros cons ???????

The trip back up will be long if the water is high, but that trip is on my list. Not much past paducah other than commercial docks, unless you just want to actually hit the confluence. Enjoy the trip! A side trip to charlston, wv might be in order as well :)

Wifey B: :speed boat::speed boat::dance::dance::dance:

Yes, yes, yes. Next time we loop, we'll definitely go there and then all the way on all Three Rivers, the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio. We want to explore all the inland rivers we can. All I know is what I've researched since we haven't done it yet. Some say it's not much of a trip but then they don't like the Erie Canal or other similar waterways. The one valid warning I've gotten is that on summer weekends, especially holidays, you might spend many hours locking through among hundreds of boats. Got that same warning about Chittenden. Oh and not locking through Chickamauga during Riverfest. Solution is simple. Schedule to avoid. Travel on weekdays and relax on weekends. So many nice towns to see. So much history. So much beauty. :D

As a Steelers fan I always wanted to boat up to the, then, 3 Rivers Stadium. Particularly on a Sunday when the Steelers are winning.

Drive over and put in at Chattanooga and cruise up and do it in reverse!

Either way, instead of continuing west of Paducah, after enjoying the Paducah wharf area at the transient boat dock for a few hours, cruise down the TN River to Land Between the Lakes NRA for a couple or so days, cross the Barkley Canal, lock through to the Cumberland River and cruise downstream to rejoin the Ohio at Smithland. Nice spot, lots of nice marinas on both Kentucky and Barkley Lakes and some wilderness shoreside activities.

I would love to extend a loop trip to cruise the full length of both the Tennessee and Ohio Rivers, both places are near and dear to my heart from boating adventures with my family in my youth. The locking experience alongside pushers and barges and large yachts, as a grade schooler, loom large in my memories. Alas, my spouse is less enthusiastic.

Last edited:
Stops to consider downstream of Pittsburg, on the Ohio. Marietta, Cincinnati, plus a myriad of other lovely small town stops.

Back
Top Bottom