Old 10-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Oh the joy!

Well we planned to take the boat out today, since some family was in town. Took all the window covers off Saturday loaded food, drinks, and other things. Next day comes it's about 10:30 checking all the oil levels, coolant levels, hoses and the like. All is good, sounds great ok. Go up to the PH to start the genny, starts up no problem, goto the panel to switch all the loads on the genny to find out I'm not getting any voltage. Hmmmmmm. So I proceed down to the ER multimeter in hand to check the two breakers, the remote mounted one decided to crap out, we don't have a spare but these breakers are used through out the boat and notably next to the shore power inlets so I run forward steal a breaker from one of the forward shore power inlets (at the dock we run off the aft one) reinstall at the generator. We have AC, great! So then I head up to the flybridge take control of the throttle and test my thrusters. The stern thruster worked for a second then stopped working. Great. Off to the lazzerette I go. Motor spins, but no movement at the props. Go into the water to see if the props are still on, they are. So after consulting with James Knight over the phone we traced it down to a rubber coupling that most likely the splines stripped out. He's coming down on Tuesday to fix it. So yep that's how my weekend went, could of been worse. Luckily it wasn't.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Granite Bay
Vessel Name: Pier Runner 6
Vessel Model: 27 ft Boston Whaler Conquest
Hope the food and drinks didn't go to waste. Still a great day to hang out on the boat at the dock and not at the office I once spent an entire day fishing off the boat at the dock waiting or them to get the boat running, only took 1 fuel pump and about 6/7 hours of messing with the engines before they realized that the fuel dock filled them up with Diesel instead of gas we still caught a few shaker Silver's from the dock (at the mouth of the Columbia river in Astoria, Oregon) which was great for a couple of 16 year old kids away on vacation!
Hope the repairs go quickly and smoothly
CMA1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Oliver, I'm shocked. That's not supposed to happen to a Nordhavn..!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I assume you still went for a boat ride at least so the day wasn't a total loss I hope.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
So you went boating without the stern thruster, right?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Oliver, I'm shocked. That's not supposed to happen to a Nordhavn..!
Oh it happens!!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 10-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Guru

Oh the joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I assume you still went for a boat ride at least so the day wasn't a total loss I hope.

It was a particularly windy day (15-20 Kt), so I decided not to go out. I could have docked the boat without a stern thruster and manged just fine (have done so before but not in this kind of wind). But that wasn't a great day to exercise those skills.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 10-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA1992 View Post
Hope the food and drinks didn't go to waste. Still a great day to hang out on the boat at the dock and not at the office I once spent an entire day fishing off the boat at the dock waiting or them to get the boat running, only took 1 fuel pump and about 6/7 hours of messing with the engines before they realized that the fuel dock filled them up with Diesel instead of gas we still caught a few shaker Silver's from the dock (at the mouth of the Columbia river in Astoria, Oregon) which was great for a couple of 16 year old kids away on vacation!
Hope the repairs go quickly and smoothly
All was fine spent the rest of the day researching new style breakers.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12