Oh Boy I am in Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never have hauled out using a rail system. Always hauled out using a travelift.
If you have trouble finding a place to haul out use a marina where they have working waterman. What is bad about the rail system, I found they want a lot of money and your tieing up their rail while your out. Much better to be travel lifted and put up with stands. If your wood boat can not survive being lifted by a travelift, then it is in bad shape not fit for use on the water! Frankly, it is a good test of your hull integrity.

Here locally in Hampton Virginia, Belle Isle and Marina Cove will haul your wood boat using their travel lift. Perhaps Yacht Haven in Poquoson.

Dandy Haven, York River Yacht Haven have refused to haul my wood boat even though they have wood boats at their marina.

Here is my haul out in 2014

That is one gorgeous boat. I haven't really paid attention about the yards Lake Pontchartrain but most boat yards on the bayou have the rail system.

For some years there was a yacht similar to that in Bayou Lafourche at Larose near the ICW crossing, maybe belonged to one of the Chouest family? A very nice classic yacht maybe 50'. I didn't see it recently but wasn't looking for it either. I think the name was UTAH. If I find more about it I'll let you know.

I remember seeing that boat for years and it wasn't there anymore. No clue who owned it but they had good taste.

Tete - the Sirius is a 100' mahogany hull built in Turkey in the early 90s. It was in need of (apparently) significant hull work when it got on this side of the pond. Work was done in south AL - maybe by the same person you've located.

Adam Fagan is Sirius' contract skipper - 228-596-1670. He can probably give you some info on resources.

Thanks for the tip. I will give him a call when I get some free time.

For some years there was a yacht similar to that in Bayou Lafourche at Larose near the ICW crossing, maybe belonged to one of the Chouest family? A very nice classic yacht maybe 50'. I didn't see it recently but wasn't looking for it either. I think the name was UTAH. If I find more about it I'll let you know.

That boat is the former oyster lugger WYOMING . It is usually at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival. It’s cypress hull was fiberglassed and the (new) owner made it into a yacht.

https://woodenboatfest.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Wyoming.jpg

Most Louisiana shrimpers and oyster men that had wooden boats wound up fiberglassing them to lower maintenance cost and keep them sea worthy. My family still has my dad’s two oyster luggers built in 1948 & 1954

That boat is the former oyster lugger WYOMING . It is usually at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival. It’s cypress hull was fiberglassed and the (new) owner made it into a yacht.

https://woodenboatfest.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Wyoming.jpg

Most Louisiana shrimpers and oyster men that had wooden boats wound up fiberglassing them to lower maintenance cost and keep them sea worthy. My family still has my dad’s two oyster luggers built in 1948 & 1954

Yes! Thanks, the Wyoming it is, and a real beauty, where did I get Utah, and how did a Louisiana lugger get the name Wyoming?
If you are in South Louisiana and watch WWL tv news in the mornings, when they transition to a break they often show a line of Yachts, I believe on the Madisonville City dock. they first one is a nice classic like the Wyoming but different style hull. Looks like some green algae on the hull but still a beauty!

I have no idea what that means

About 6.5 ft
Probably 7 at full load

Side image shows more of your boat, I can see the better two deck big cabin, a lot of residential area that you can not see on your avatars image.

And simply, you have a spacious beautiful Trawler.

I hope I went better to tell you my thoughts.

NBs

I think NBs writes/thinks in Finnish(maybe Swedish),then translates, and does it quite well. Worth remembering when reading his helpful posts.

Side image shows more of your boat, I can see the better two deck big cabin, a lot of residential area that you can not see on your avatars image.

And simply, you have a spacious beautiful Trawler.

I hope I went better to tell you my thoughts.

NBs
Not a problem and thank you :thumb:

I think NBs writes/thinks in Finnish(maybe Swedish),then translates, and does it quite well. Worth remembering when reading his helpful posts.

You are right :) here with two mother tongues formally Finland and Sweden. English is studying at the school side as a substance.

NBs

Haul 2018

Have not had any problems hauling ours. Had the hull painted this year. About Avery 6-8 years she needs paint up top. Feel free to ask more questions. Never close to $75k a year for sure.

Gorgeous! A classic. I couldn't afford to buy it or maintain it, but I do appreciate it.

I owned the Calypso (still so named in Galveston now) a wooden 1972 42-foot Grand Banks for 29 years. I never had any yard in California or Florida refuse to haul it, and no marina ever looked askance at her. In fact, most people looking at her took her for fiberglass. I had the boat under cover for the last 25 years which helped a LOT. In order to ensure there were no teredo worms eating the boat, I hauled it and put a coat of bottom paint on every 18-24 months. With other jobs on the list for haul-out, I would say the average was $2,000 a haul. I had liability insurance only for a lot of years so cannot comment on full insurance. I liked to keep a dry bilge and so installed dripless shaft packings in the early years. If I started getting a bit of dampness in the lowest bilge, I had to hunt up whether it was fresh or saltwater - I had a professional caulker redo about ten percent of the hull on a couple of occasions to resolve very minor seawater leaks. Careful inspection of the inside of the hull is required to detect and resolve delignification issues caused by "wood electrolysis" and freshwater leaks. After scraping away minor amounts of this problem, I thoroughly soaked large sections of the inner hull with Clear Penetrating Epoxy to stabilize the wood. However, real wood work was something I never had to do at the 1.25" mahogany planking and 5/8" thick teak over 3/4" plywood decking was never an issue. That said, I have seen this model of boat which required a lot of above water planking replaced due to unresolved freshwater leaks. I tossed buckets of saltwater all over the topside of the boat two or three times a week to ensure there was pretty of rot-killing salt in any cracks and crannies. I think in some ways exterior paintwork on the wooden boat was a simpler project than say correcting any blemishes on my fiberglass boat. I thought nothing of breaking out the Awlgrip Snow White and rolling over a prepped area anywhere on the hull or topside. It always matched up and looked good. I did a lot of that.

Living with a wooden boat this size which must reside in the water and doing essentially all the work by myself finally got to be more than I wanted to take on. I am quite happy now with a smaller fiberglass boat living in a lift. It can sit for as long I want it to and be just fine when I relaunch it and nary a barnacle to ever concern me.

I would not go back to wood, but I would not discourage anybody who wants to take it on to do so. The Calypso's current owner thinks the boat is a great value compared to the same boat in fiberglass and enjoys it a lot. A boat building technique which includes saturating the wood with Epoxy as the boat is built is to me having the best of both worlds.

Lastly, I have had a number of supposedly knowledgeable people set foot aboard my wooden trawler and tell me how much different it felt underway than a "plastic" boat, but my brother has the same model 42-foot Grand Banks in fiberglass, and I'll be darned if I can tell the difference.

There are very few pristene wood boats. Many times rot below waterline. Many yards won't haul them mant insurance co won't insure them. Both have these exceptions from experience. Their feelings and mine are "The only reason they built wooden boats is they didn't have fiberglass trees" lol .
Talking to an old boy at Mistic Seaport while he was building a lapstrake work/row boat. Beautiful boat and workmanship. I asked how long it would last. His answer was, well it just depends on where it is, salt water 100 years, fresh water 3 maybe 4.
Best of luck with your new love.

There are very few pristene wood boats. Many times rot below waterline. Many yards won't haul them mant insurance co won't insure them. Both have these exceptions from experience. Their feelings and mine are "The only reason they built wooden boats is they didn't have fiberglass trees" lol .
Talking to an old boy at Mistic Seaport while he was building a lapstrake work/row boat. Beautiful boat and workmanship. I asked how long it would last. His answer was, well it just depends on where it is, salt water 100 years, fresh water 3 maybe 4.
Best of luck with your new love.

Wood moves, paint cracks water seeps in can travel long ways, wood never dries out, wood rots, but not all wood rots.

However replace the rotten wood, stop water leaking in, use wood that wont rot, use modern caulks, treat the wood with borates and alcohols, and EG. But most people do not know how. With wood boat, the simpler the construction, the easier to repair. Most wood boats are pretty complex shaped pieces of wood. Some marinas wont haul a wood boat, I know of three here, only a few don't want your business as in renting you a slip. I am thinking as there becomes fewer wood boats left, that may change, as the ones left are obviously better maintained. So far at my marina, the only boats sinking or abandoned are made of fiberglass.

There are still a lot of wood work boats on the Chesapeake Bay, and they all have slips. And I have seen marinas up north full of wood boats.

Last edited:
What a beauty!

I owned a '67 Chris Connie woodie for almost 35 years, and it gave excellent service in fresh water Georgian Bay.

They need to be brought right up to snuff, and then meticulously maintained. The trick is jumping on any defect immediately. Neglect is what causes expenses to grow! They need to be wooded and put through a shop every 20 years or so....but a lot of the work is easily done by a DIYer.

Then they are easy and inexpensive to run.

https://youtu.be/mqgReTGxL2s

is a video tour.

And this link is documentation of a rebuild...where you can get at least a taste of the work involved.

https://www.scribd.com/document/142232183/Rebuilding-the-Benchmark

Attachments

• Benchmark.jpg
    Benchmark.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 31
What a beauty!

I owned a '67 Chris Connie woodie for almost 35 years, and it gave excellent service in fresh water Georgian Bay.

They need to be brought right up to snuff, and then meticulously maintained. The trick is jumping on any defect immediately. Neglect is what causes expenses to grow! They need to be wooded and put through a shop every 20 years or so....but a lot of the work is easily done by a DIYer.

Then they are easy and inexpensive to run.

https://youtu.be/mqgReTGxL2s

is a video tour.

And this link is documentation of a rebuild...where you can get at least a taste of the work involved.

https://www.scribd.com/document/142232183/Rebuilding-the-Benchmark

I sealed my entire hull in rubber coatings such as Sani Tred Permaflex and Loctite PL Black roof and flashing polyurethane. (much prefer the black PL) For gluing together planks, I used Loctite PL premium polyurethane mixed with sawdust. So the hull is real strong and dry from the sea. I replaced many frames using select pressure treated SYP, had the entire bottom planking off in quarters. I did not sister frames, I replaced frames. My frames sit under large oak floors(joists) and they are spaced every 9 inches. I used 4000 #12 bronze screws, one step up in size from the OEM build. It is still a wood boat, but it is significantly different from most wood boats.

For above the waterline, I dug out all the old cracking linseed oil caulking and cotton and re-caulked with Dynaflex 230.

Most likely when almost all Egg Harbor wood boats are dust, mine will still be floating.

Last edited:
Take a look at vandamboats.com and see a new 50footer being built. New technology and building techniques keeping beautiful wooden boats on the water for the next generation.

The guy who built the Biloxi Schooners was Paul Bodin. I had my admittedly FRP boat in his yard earlier this year and he does excellent work on ANY type of vessel. He only has four employees in his yard so sometimes it takes a while to get taken care of but the work is top notch.

IMG_0535.jpg

Here is one of the Schooners he built 20 years ago being re-launched after maintenance period where he scarfed in a new mizzenmast step in to the keel.

IMG_0496.jpg

And here is Les Bon Temps Roulez, built in 1932 and spent its entire life on the fresh waters of the Tchefuncte River. Bought this year by a new owner it is now sitting in salt water at Long Beach Harbor in Mississippi

When I drove TowBoatUS vessels in Canaveral for a season or two, I picked up a wood boat that was having a packing gland problem and took it in tow. Not a single yard in a 30 mile radius would haul it. Luckily it was a fairly small boat so I put a bigger jigger pump on it and towed him back to his house where he had his own lift. It was an eye opener for me when I called yard after yard and they all told me ‘don’t bring it here’

..When I drove TowBoat US vessels in Canaveral for a season or two, I picked up a wood boat that was having a packing gland problem and took it in tow. Not a single yard in a 30 mile radius would haul it. Luckily it was a fairly small boat so I put a bigger jigger pump on it and towed him back to his house where he had his own lift. It was an eye opener for me when I called yard after yard and they all told me ‘don’t bring it here’
The fear is it collapses in a heap on their lift or cradle,and becomes their problem if the owner goes into hiding. Makes little sense as a blanket policy, most boats would be fine, it`s likely they got burnt earlier. Or maybe their insurers exclude cover for the risk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom