Old 09-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #21

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
I'm not a wooden boat expert but I have been intrigued by them on occasion. I understand wooden boats rot from the inside out. Freshwater and rain invite rot. The best thing you can do is store them in a boat house or under cover.

Marinas have been burned with owners abandoning wooden boats. Many of them are now reluctant to lease space to wooden boat owners. To make things more difficult, many travel lift owners will not lift wooden boat for fear of them breaking apart on the lift. Lifting them on a marine rail way is gentler but does not allow for long-term storage/repairs. Wooden boat ownership is a labor of love. You either do everything yourself or you have deep pockets and access to good shipwrights.

gsholz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
I'm not a wooden boat expert but I have been intrigued by them on occasion. I understand wooden boats rot from the inside out. Freshwater and rain invite rot. The best thing you can do is store them in a boat house or under cover. .
I'm not a wooden boat expert either
The best thing you can do is actually fix any fresh water leaks.
Here in Australia and most of the world there is no such thing as covered boat houses yet timber boats have been here for hundreds of years.

Quote:
Marinas have been burned with owners abandoning wooden boats. Many of them are now reluctant to lease space to wooden boat owners. To make things more difficult, many travel lift owners will not lift wooden boat for fear of them breaking apart on the lift. .
Marinas get burned down when any boat catches fire

Travel lift operators who won't lift are simply not using the right gear, we could come out on a 2 strap 75 tonner (a sister ship does) but instead use the 300tonne 8 strapper which provides as much if not more support than the nearby slipway.(marine railway)

Quote:
. Lifting them on a marine rail way is gentler but does not allow for long-term storage/repairs
Mate, its a timber boat.
You don't want to be out for any more than two weeks anyway as she'll start to dry out.
Long term storage will probably see them never go back in.

And plenty of slipways do have side rails where they can shift boats around still on cradle and put another cradle down for the next lift.

Quote:
Wooden boat ownership is a labor of love. You either do everything yourself or you have deep pockets and access to good shipwrights
And that's the same for any vessel.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 60. "Marinas have been burned with owners abandoning wooden boats." I think Mr. g meant the marinas get stuck with the bill for disposing abandoned wooden boats ie: "burned".
Old 09-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 60. "Marinas have been burned with owners abandoning wooden boats." I think Mr. g meant the marinas get stuck with the bill for disposing abandoned wooden boats ie: "burned".

There's that to and can happen with any boat regardless of construction material
Old 09-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Baton Rouge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjorgenson3 View Post
Love our wood boat.
What kind of maintenance am I looking at?
Tete Dure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
That's one way to look at it

And that's the other way.

There are timber working trawlers and ferries still being used over here as well and I can assure you, fine pieces of antique furniture they are not but that doesn't mean they are not sound boats doing what they were made to do.
Quote:
I'm not a wooden boat expert either
The best thing you can do is actually fix any fresh water leaks.
Here in Australia and most of the world there is no such thing as covered boat houses yet timber boats have been here for hundreds of years.

Marinas get burned down when any boat catches fire

Travel lift operators who won't lift are simply not using the right gear, we could come out on a 2 strap 75 tonner (a sister ship does) but instead use the 300tonne 8 strapper which provides as much if not more support than the nearby slipway.(marine railway)

Mate, its a timber boat.
You don't want to be out for any more than two weeks anyway as she'll start to dry out.
Long term storage will probably see them never go back in.

And plenty of slipways do have side rails where they can shift boats around still on cradle and put another cradle down for the next lift.

And that's the same for any vessel.
Quote:
There's that to and can happen with any boat regardless of construction material

I found an old wooden boat restorer and builder in Alabama and will contact him tomorrow to get some general info. They originally built the Biloxi trawlers out of wood. They have some for sale that I am tempted to buy and convert into a cruising boat. The have a hug back deck and are perfect for the Gulf Coast.

But getting back to wooden boats. I've always heard to stay away from them but I've unloaded many of shrimp and oysters from old wooden boats in the 80's. I cannot fathom a shrimper or oyster fisherman spending 75k every year to keep the boat running. Most didn't make that kind of money.

There are a bunch of local shipyards that have the rail system all along Bayou Lafourche and the surrounding areas. I don't know if anyone still does wooden boats but I have a phone list.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I never have hauled out using a rail system. Always hauled out using a travelift.
If you have trouble finding a place to haul out use a marina where they have working waterman. What is bad about the rail system, I found they want a lot of money and your tieing up their rail while your out. Much better to be travel lifted and put up with stands. If your wood boat can not survive being lifted by a travelift, then it is in bad shape not fit for use on the water! Frankly, it is a good test of your hull integrity.

Here locally in Hampton Virginia, Belle Isle and Marina Cove will haul your wood boat using their travel lift. Perhaps Yacht Haven in Poquoson.

Dandy Haven, York River Yacht Haven have refused to haul my wood boat even though they have wood boats at their marina.

Here is my haul out in 2014
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS852224.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	81159   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS852223.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	81160   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS852222.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	81161  
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #28
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
For some years there was a yacht similar to that in Bayou Lafourche at Larose near the ICW crossing, maybe belonged to one of the Chouest family? A very nice classic yacht maybe 50'. I didn't see it recently but wasn't looking for it either. I think the name was UTAH. If I find more about it I'll let you know.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #29
Guru

Ours coming out on the 300tonne 8 strapper
All nicely supported
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180725_101717~01.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	81171  
Old 09-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #30
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Tete - the Sirius is a 100' mahogany hull built in Turkey in the early 90s. It was in need of (apparently) significant hull work when it got on this side of the pond. Work was done in south AL - maybe by the same person you've located.

Adam Fagan is Sirius' contract skipper - 228-596-1670. He can probably give you some info on resources.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sirius Pic.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	81216  
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #31

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Velvet Turtle
Vessel Model: 1970 Grand Banks 36 Classic Woody
What a classy ship.
One Eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I never have hauled out using a rail system. Always hauled out using a travelift.
If you have trouble finding a place to haul out use a marina where they have working waterman. What is bad about the rail system, I found they want a lot of money and your tieing up their rail while your out. Much better to be travel lifted and put up with stands. If your wood boat can not survive being lifted by a travelift, then it is in bad shape not fit for use on the water! Frankly, it is a good test of your hull integrity.

Here locally in Hampton Virginia, Belle Isle and Marina Cove will haul your wood boat using their travel lift. Perhaps Yacht Haven in Poquoson.

Dandy Haven, York River Yacht Haven have refused to haul my wood boat even though they have wood boats at their marina.

Here is my haul out in 2014

That is one gorgeous boat. I haven't really paid attention about the yards Lake Pontchartrain but most boat yards on the bayou have the rail system.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
For some years there was a yacht similar to that in Bayou Lafourche at Larose near the ICW crossing, maybe belonged to one of the Chouest family? A very nice classic yacht maybe 50'. I didn't see it recently but wasn't looking for it either. I think the name was UTAH. If I find more about it I'll let you know.

I remember seeing that boat for years and it wasn't there anymore. No clue who owned it but they had good taste.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Tete - the Sirius is a 100' mahogany hull built in Turkey in the early 90s. It was in need of (apparently) significant hull work when it got on this side of the pond. Work was done in south AL - maybe by the same person you've located.

Adam Fagan is Sirius' contract skipper - 228-596-1670. He can probably give you some info on resources.

Thanks for the tip. I will give him a call when I get some free time.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Empire, LA
Vessel Name: Andante Mar
Vessel Model: Neptunus Yachts 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

That boat is the former oyster lugger WYOMING . It is usually at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival. Itís cypress hull was fiberglassed and the (new) owner made it into a yacht.

https://woodenboatfest.org/wp-conten...03/Wyoming.jpg

Most Louisiana shrimpers and oyster men that had wooden boats wound up fiberglassing them to lower maintenance cost and keep them sea worthy. My family still has my dadís two oyster luggers built in 1948 & 1954
Jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #36
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Ours coming out on the 300tonne 8 strapper
All nicely supported
Wow, the second corner of your Trawler will show you how much space your yacht has

What's your biggest draft?

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Wow, the second corner of your Trawler will show you how much space your yacht has
I have no idea what that means

Quote:
What's your biggest draft?
About 6.5 ft
Probably 7 at full load
Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #38
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
That boat is the former oyster lugger WYOMING . It is usually at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival. Itís cypress hull was fiberglassed and the (new) owner made it into a yacht.

https://woodenboatfest.org/wp-conten...03/Wyoming.jpg

Most Louisiana shrimpers and oyster men that had wooden boats wound up fiberglassing them to lower maintenance cost and keep them sea worthy. My family still has my dadís two oyster luggers built in 1948 & 1954
Yes! Thanks, the Wyoming it is, and a real beauty, where did I get Utah, and how did a Louisiana lugger get the name Wyoming?
If you are in South Louisiana and watch WWL tv news in the mornings, when they transition to a break they often show a line of Yachts, I believe on the Madisonville City dock. they first one is a nice classic like the Wyoming but different style hull. Looks like some green algae on the hull but still a beauty!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:20 AM   #39
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
I have no idea what that means

About 6.5 ft
Probably 7 at full load

Side image shows more of your boat, I can see the better two deck big cabin, a lot of residential area that you can not see on your avatars image.

And simply, you have a spacious beautiful Trawler.

I hope I went better to tell you my thoughts.

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:38 AM   #40
Guru

I think NBs writes/thinks in Finnish(maybe Swedish),then translates, and does it quite well. Worth remembering when reading his helpful posts.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote