Offer accepted on Beebe design!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats! Very exciting & look forward to hearing more.

My own bias is certainly toward simplicity and eliminating systems, and our use case is pretty different from yours, so take this with a grain of salt, but I just recently removed our entire 110V system. Originally the plan was a re-wire properly (I found wire nuts, solid core, no GFI, green wire not even connected, etc. etc, all missed by survey), but I'm going to give it a shot as a pure 12V vessel at least for now.

DC systems have gotten so efficient that there's hardly a need for AC anymore with LED lighting, efficient refrigeration, low-power screens, and really really good cordless tools - I just got a full set of 20V Dewalt tools - including a shop vac and heat gun - and their "vehicle charger" which recharges via 12V. Every time I thought I'd need 110V I found a credible, reasonably priced and very highly reviewed alternative.

Air conditioning certainly requires a strong 110 system and generator. Other than that, I'm not sure you'd need it. Microwave oven is the toughest lift, but even that can be done with 12V:
https://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-microwave-wavebox/12-volt-microwave.htm

Just a thought.

Slow,
Congrats on the new boat. Please remember to allow a couple of months to explore the Sea of Cortez on your way south. You will not regret it!

Cheers, Bill

Congrats! Very exciting & look forward to hearing more.

My own bias is certainly toward simplicity and eliminating systems, and our use case is pretty different from yours, so take this with a grain of salt, but I just recently removed our entire 110V system. Originally the plan was a re-wire properly (I found wire nuts, solid core, no GFI, green wire not even connected, etc. etc, all missed by survey), but I'm going to give it a shot as a pure 12V vessel at least for now.

DC systems have gotten so efficient that there's hardly a need for AC anymore with LED lighting, efficient refrigeration, low-power screens, and really really good cordless tools - I just got a full set of 20V Dewalt tools - including a shop vac and heat gun - and their "vehicle charger" which recharges via 12V. Every time I thought I'd need 110V I found a credible, reasonably priced and very highly reviewed alternative.

Air conditioning certainly requires a strong 110 system and generator. Other than that, I'm not sure you'd need it. Microwave oven is the toughest lift, but even that can be done with 12V:
https://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-microwave-wavebox/12-volt-microwave.htm

Just a thought.

Hmmmm, now there's a thought . . . Darn it, now you're gonna make me start thinking . . . . I try to avoid that as much as possible . . .:D

Originally Tortuga, now Compass Rose

No, but very close. That one might be steel, hard to tell?

I’d like to meet the owners since the Papazia II is now off the market ;)

Funny enough I'm sitting in the wheelhouse right now headed south from Stuart Island.

The boat in the picture is Beebe number 156. Now known as the Compass Rose. We are the new future owners. Wrapping up a shakedown cruise with the current owners. All of us would be happy to talk to you at any point. Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Funny enough I'm sitting in the wheelhouse right now headed south from Stuart Island.

The boat in the picture is Beebe number 156. Now known as the Compass Rose. We are the new future owners. Wrapping up a shakedown cruise with the current owners. All of us would be happy to talk to you at any point. Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Ah, the top secret Beebe sale :thumb: I called the broker the day after you had brought your offer :nonono: She looks great from afar, make sure you introduce yourself with lots of pics!

So that would have been the current owners, Jim and Abbie. Close friends of ours. We've heard all the stories about the purchase and talked many hours about the work done afterwards. Apparently she wasn't in to good of shape when they got her. She had been left to rot in the delta after coming back from Mexico.

We had heard locally that P2 had sold. Congratulations on the upcoming adventures. Is she still in the sound or have you taken her elsewhere?

And Tiki III? Not sure of name, but it was never officially advertised, and it is under contract as of a week or two ago. Not sure who purchased her. Dennis and Mary were previous owners, and circumnavigated the globe, also crossed the Atlantic at least 5 times. Gardner 6LXB engine. Haven't found their blog, but supposedly they had one. I wish I know the correct name of the boat . . . .

And Tiki III? Not sure of name, but it was never officially advertised, and it is under contract as of a week or two ago. Not sure who purchased her. Dennis and Mary were previous owners, and circumnavigated the globe, also crossed the Atlantic at least 5 times. Gardner 6LXB engine. Haven't found their blog, but supposedly they had one. I wish I know the correct name of the boat . . . .

Teka III. Is that the one that was for sale? Wow. Their broker wouldn’t even tell me the name of the boat or who the owners were. Very hush hush.

The Umstots edited the most recent edition of Voyaging Under Power. Or at least Denis did. They have a website with some photos from over the years, and their books, but haven’t found a blog.

Last edited:
My ass hurts just looking at that chair,lol!.....Looks very uncomfortable to use more than a half hour.

IMHO, that's what you want in a helm chair (so you have to keep moving, looking, and checking things!). As mentioned, on any passage, the door sills are where I spend most of my time (my vessel has back-sloping windows and even when completely clean, are not 100% transparent). We use RainX on the windows, too.

slow, if/when you start a new thread for your adventures, please drop a link to that here.

Teka III. Is that the one that was for sale? Wow. Their broker wouldn’t even tell me the name of the boat or who the owners were. Very hush hush.

The Umstots edited the most recent edition of Voyaging Under Power. Or at least Denis did. They have a website with some photos from over the years, and their books, but haven’t found a blog.

Yes, that was it, Teka III. Sold pretty quick! Not sure who to either. And it WAS pretty hush hush.

slow, if/when you start a new thread for your adventures, please drop a link to that here.

Will do. I go back over Memorial Day to move her to her new digs in Port Orchard, than back to KY to close on sale of a house, and finish off an apartment off of our shop for when we come back to do metal stuff. I'll post a link as soon as we get one!

Last edited:
Yes, that was it, Taka III. Sold pretty quick! Not sure who to either. And it WAS pretty hush hush.

Will do. I go back over Memorial Day to move her to her new digs in Port Orchard, than back to KY to close on sale of a house, and finish off an apartment off of our shop for when we come back to do metal stuff. I'll post a link as soon as we get one!
Shes going to port orchard? That's funny because compass rose is in bremerton. Which marina are you going to?

Shes going to port orchard? That's funny because compass rose is in bremerton. Which marina are you going to?

Is Compass Rose staying in Bremerton? We will be at the Sinclair Inlet Marina. Would love to get with you at some point when we get up there and see the difference in the boats.

As my wife posted above, we'll be in Sinclair Inlet Marina. Our boat has the Gardner 8LXB engine, which is frankly an overkill for that boat. It burns more fuel than yours, 2.4 gph, at 7.5 kts, but that's also running a hydraulic pump running a 12kw generator anytime the main engine is running! It's kind of crazy how much "modern" engines burn at the same speed with a comparable hull design and weight. . . .

We'd love to get together and compare notes on the differences in the boats. I assume you are going to move aboard the Beebe now? Would love to see some pics!:thumb:

Well, we made it to WA, and the boat. Left KY last Tuesday, and arrived in WA Saturday evening. Came out to boat Sunday AM. Some minor hiccups on the trip. Engine in Dutch Star Class A coach started "derating", and check engine light came on . . . . Ended up changing the oil, 2000 more miles, no issues. I am going to replace Rocks off of a construction truck broke the right windshield in three places . . . It's just a thing. 18 wheeler backed into my wife's car while she was sitting parked. Then drove away . . . Couldn't catch him . . . Oh, well, just another thing. And we brought WAY too much stuff to put on the boat . . . Have to find a Goodwill I think. Otherwise, we're doing fine. Boat is still floating (had someone watching it on a regular basis) had to figure out where light switches, circuit breakers etc, were all over again, since I've only been on the boat for inspection/sea trials in January, and then in May to move it from LaConner WA to Port Orchard, total of about 7 days. Now here full time. Anyone want to buy a Dutch Star Motor Home?!?

"Anyone want to buy a Dutch Star Motor Home?!?"

Lol. You're quite the salesman with your promotion of its current condition. Actually the Dutch Star is a cream of the crop line. Hmmm...ahem, no, nope ;) Buying a boat, buying a boat.

Glad you're there, with only property damage.

As my wife posted above, we'll be in Sinclair Inlet Marina. Our boat has the Gardner 8LXB engine, which is frankly an overkill for that boat. It burns more fuel than yours, 2.4 gph, at 7.5 kts, but that's also running a hydraulic pump running a 12kw generator anytime the main engine is running! It's kind of crazy how much "modern" engines burn at the same speed with a comparable hull design and weight. . . .

You're doing good with the Gardner! MOJO is Beebe Design #112, a 50' steel boat with a single Cummins 6BT. She burns 2.7 gph at 7.5 kts at 1500 rpm. That includes turning a 5kw variable speed generator belted to the front of the engine.

Yes, that was it, Teka III. Sold pretty quick! Not sure who to either. And it WAS pretty hush hush.

I had the honors of making first offer. We got within $10k between my offer and their counter offer, but in the end, it was just more than I was willing to part with.

I did buy the 3rd boat we have made an accepted offer on since we got serious about buying a boat after missing Papazia due to miscommunication.

We did go with a trawler and a rather unique one at that, albeit at the other end of our budget. Instead of reaching for the most boat we could comfortably afford, and then start all the crazy expensive tweaking to make her ours. We chose to go with the smallest and most economical boat that ticked the main boxes in our ¨Must Have¨ list and many of our ¨Like to Have¨ list.

Zz3c1HVVKvKrF18ZA

We purchased a 1974 Cheoy Lee 34 Trawler with twin 100 hp Econ-O-Power/ Ford Lehmans (actually likely 109 hp) with a True Pilothouse with watchbirth.
Large paravane stabilizers. 650 gallons in three tanks, (Center fiberglass molded into hull) Stbd and Port saddle tanks in steel, but fully embedded/encapsulated in FG at the factory. The side tanks have HUGE inspection hatches. 36 inches.
Center tank has two 18 inch inspection hatches.

Kqb4vRXuYv6cS9De6

Had terrible fuel and had to have it professionally polished. Used Chris from NW Fuel Services and he did a stellar job on short notice on Labor Day. Thanks Chris.

mzhQWsB49Afs6GAr6

He has promised to get into those big saddle tanks when we get to Port Angeles, because he did not have large enough gasket materials on Labor Day.
Lots more to tell, but I did not want to high jack this thread. We just ended up with a lesser boat, but dollar for dollar, I think it is a better fit for us than the global passagemaker that was Teka III, at about 10-15% percent of the outlay, initially at least. We did add a really nice (but heavy) Novurania 12 ft center console RIB that has Garmin MFD, depth sounder, syncs with both Garmins onboard the mother boat. It has bluetooth Fusion and new German uber speakers and a 40 HP two stroke Yamaha that pushes her with even 4 people faster than I ever care to go.

Broke the hoist during first lifting to boat deck approach, but re-engineering that entire system to a 3,000 lbs. max weight instead of the 1,000 lbs. that cracked at a ring weld about 1/3 of the way up the vertical aluminum 2.5 inch x .250 wall post with 0.375 x 2 inch center flitch plate. We will see how that goes when machine shop finishes and I re-install it. Did I mention it is a HEAVY dinghy.

Cheers :)

Captain DJ

"Anyone want to buy a Dutch Star Motor Home?!?"

Lol. You're quite the salesman with your promotion of its current condition. Actually the Dutch Star is a cream of the crop line. Hmmm...ahem, no, nope ;) Buying a boat, buying a boat.

Glad you're there, with only property damage.

Yup, it's just stuff! New windshield hopefully next week, fuel valve. We're really felt spoiled in the coach, but for what we are planning on doing with the boat, we really don't need the boat AND a Class A RV!

You're doing good with the Gardner! MOJO is Beebe Design #112, a 50' steel boat with a single Cummins 6BT. She burns 2.7 gph at 7.5 kts at 1500 rpm. That includes turning a 5kw variable speed generator belted to the front of the engine.

Mojo is a pretty cool boat! We saw it for sale, but just didn't quite fill what we wanted. We get about the same fuel usage with our boat as you get with yours. I just LOVED the hold with hatch that you have in Mojo!

I had the honors of making first offer. We got within $10k between my offer and their counter offer, but in the end, it was just more than I was willing to part with.
I did buy the 3rd boat we have made an accepted offer on since we got serious about buying a boat after missing Papazia due to miscommunication.
We did go with a trawler and a rather unique one at that, albeit at the other end of our budget. Instead of reaching for the most boat we could comfortably afford, and then start all the crazy expensive tweaking to make her ours. We chose to go with the smallest and most economical boat that ticked the main boxes in our ¨Must Have¨ list and many of our ¨Like to Have¨ list.
Zz3c1HVVKvKrF18ZA

We purchased a 1974 Cheoy Lee 34 Trawler with twin 100 hp Econ-O-Power/ Ford Lehmans (actually likely 109 hp) with a True Pilothouse with watchbirth.
Large paravane stabilizers. 650 gallons in three tanks, (Center fiberglass molded into hull) Stbd and Port saddle tanks in steel, but fully embedded/encapsulated in FG at the factory. The side tanks have HUGE inspection hatches. 36 inches.
Center tank has two 18 inch inspection hatches.
Kqb4vRXuYv6cS9De6

Had terrible fuel and had to have it professionally polished. Used Chris from NW Fuel Services and he did a stellar job on short notice on Labor Day. Thanks Chris.
mzhQWsB49Afs6GAr6

He has promised to get into those big saddle tanks when we get to Port Angeles, because he did not have large enough gasket materials on Labor Day.
Lots more to tell, but I did not want to high jack this thread. We just ended up with a lesser boat, but dollar for dollar, I think it is a better fit for us than the global passagemaker that was Teka III, at about 10-15% percent of the outlay, initially at least. We did add a really nice (but heavy) Novurania 12 ft center console RIB that has Garmin MFD, depth sounder, syncs with both Garmins onboard the mother boat. It has bluetooth Fusion and new German uber speakers and a 40 HP two stroke Yamaha that pushes her with even 4 people faster than I ever care to go.

Broke the hoist during first lifting to boat deck approach, but re-engineering that entire system to a 3,000 lbs. max weight instead of the 1,000 lbs. that cracked at a ring weld about 1/3 of the way up the vertical aluminum 2.5 inch x .250 wall post with 0.375 x 2 inch center flitch plate. We will see how that goes when machine shop finishes and I re-install it. Did I mention it is a HEAVY dinghy.

Cheers :)

Captain DJ

DJ,

NOT a lesser boat, just different! Nice engines, and really nice fuel capacity. I didn't realize that the 34's ever had that much tankage. I've also never seen paravanes on a 34, but they were my stabilizers of choice. Sounds like a pretty unique boat, and I don't have any problem with "stealing" the thread! Would love to hear more. . . . maybe if we talk enough about our boats, Alaskaflyer will finally get off the fence and buy a boat!:D

Thread update

Thread update:

We are currently in Hoonah, Alaska, awaiting entry into Glacier Bay National Park. We departed Port Orchard, WA on 26 May enroute "North". Very general plans, few specifics. After all, we're retired!:D
Put on 1000 of fuel in Seattle at start of trip,:eek: and departed with 1600 total in tanks. We're 46 days into our trip. 1546 miles run so far. We have about 900 gallons remaining. That includes generator hours, and hydraunic heat usage.
We ran into some issues early on with the hydraulic pump coupling off of the main engine that we use to drive the 120v generator underway. The coupling ate itself. Closest part was in Seattle, but couldn't get it into Canada in any reasonable amount of time. Had it shipped to a friend who came up to Ketchikan. An hours work and we were back up and running. We had to run the auxiliary engine a lot to have 120v power, so that ate into our fuel efficiency a bit.
We were doing a lot of refitting to the boat, not really repairs, but changes to the boat to tailor it for our intended usage.
A short list of upgrades:

• Remove old tubular steel and canvas bimini, fabricate, paint, and install new bimini out of 3/16” aluminum to match pilot house. The reasons for this were several. The old bimini was supported by the boom, rendering the boom unusable as a lifting device. We were intending on mounting solar panels on the bimini, and needed the hard structure to accomplish this. We wanted to be able to suspend hanging chairs from the underside of the bimini, over the aft deck.
  • Remove old AGM house battery bank, and replace with LiFePO4.
  • Install Victron Quattro inverter charger. The boat previously had no inverter.
  • Install SeawaterPro watermaker.
  • Install 2180 watts of solar panels along with associated wiring, circuit protection, and controllers.
We finally realized that the boat was never going to be completely ready, and if we waiting until all the stuff was done, we’d never leave the dock this Summer! We finally set a date of 26 May to depart, figuring that most or all of the above would be accomplished by then, and whatever wasn’t done, we could complete during the trip. We got the solar panels all installed, but not wired. More on that later.
There were numerous other items on the refit list, from installing a depth sounder/chartplotter on the dingy, to installing Starlink. Some of them got accomplished prior to start of the trip, some of them are still outstanding, but at least we were on our way!

Day 4 of the trip, the hydraulic pump coupling ate itself, so no 120v power, which included our ability to rapidly charge the house bank unless we ran the auxiliary engine. Soooo, getting the solar array up and running suddenly moved higher up on the list! We stayed a few days in Tribune Bay in BC, and finally, with help from Battleborn Batteries, who sold us the Victron solar controllers, we got everything up and running. It required some steps that are in no way part of the solar controller instructions, which are poor at best. Kudo’s to Roni at Battleborn for stepping us to assist us. Soooo, solar is up and running . . . . I can’t say enough for how impressed we are with the solar setup we installed! Most nights we draw the house bank down to high 70’s in percentage, including making coffee in the morning, microwave usage, streaming a movie(s) before bed, computer use, etc. With any sun at all, we’re back up to 100% SOC by 1000 or 1100! We’ve even done laundry, including drying just on solar! Anyway, fast forward, we went North, South, East West, but mostly North, arriving into Alaska on 13 June. Hooked up with our friends in Ketchikan, replaced the hyd coupling, and looped the Misty Fjords with them. Then up to Petersburg, excursion boat to Leconte Glacier (no way I’d take my boat in there with all the ice!), then North, lost Starlink just North of Petersburg . . . . we’d come to rely on it so much, telephone calls over wifi, Wx reports etc, that we almost felt blind! Then Tracy Arm up to Sawyer Glacier . . . . South Sawyer is a Must See! Absolutely Spectacular!
Then up to Juneau, no room in Juneau, or Auke Bay, so we anchored out a night. Rental cars all booked for Curse Ship pax, so no joy there. We left and headed to Hoonah, and here we are! Plan is to start heading South after Glacier Bay, maybe Sitka, but slow trip down. We missed Prince Rupert, Port Hardy and Port McNeil on the way up due to Wx considerations, so we want to see them on the way down. Then hang out in Broughtons, and Gulf Islands for a little while. Plan on getting back to Port Orchard toward the end of August, then start on small repair squawk sheet list of repairs before we jump back into the upgrade list. BC again next Winter/Spring/Summer, then Sea of Cortez in the Fall, followed by Panama Canal into Caribbean. Warm water beckons . . .

Last edited:
Then up to Juneau, no room in Juneau, or Auke Bay, so we anchored out a night. Rental cars all booked for Curse Ship pax, so no joy there.

I see what you did there. Do not expect an argument from me.

Just caught (and cleaned and cooked for dinner) our first halibut! 42" long, 34 lbs. Anchored for the night, dropped the halibut rig armed with a frozen (since thawed) herring, and 20 minutes later, I'm reading and hear this noise?!? What the heck is that? OH CRAP, that's the clicker on Penn reel going mad! Pulled it up, harpooned the sucker, and then tried to remember how to filet . . . . Cooked with a little mayonnaise, salt and pepper, with lemon slices, along with some roasted asparagus and buttermilk biscuits and jam . . . Tasty, if I say so myself!

Attachments

• Halibut 42%22 34lb.jpg
    Halibut 42%22 34lb.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 30
We finally realized that the boat was never going to be completely ready, and if we waiting until all the stuff was done, we’d never leave the dock this Summer! .

And there be the truth
Go now
Fix shite up as you go

SGI,
You guys are living the dream!
Great update.. keep them coming so the rest of us working folk can justify how hard we are working to someday do the same thing you are doing.

HOLLYWOOD

DJ,

NOT a lesser boat, just different! Nice engines, and really nice fuel capacity. I didn't realize that the 34's ever had that much tankage. I've also never seen paravanes on a 34, but they were my stabilizers of choice. Sounds like a pretty unique boat, and I don't have any problem with "stealing" the thread! Would love to hear more. . . . maybe if we talk enough about our boats, Alaskaflyer will finally get off the fence and buy a boat!:D

Thanks Muirgen,

We splashed the boat from Swantown Boatworks on June 23rd in Olympia. We were sad to see how rough she faired 8 months "on the hard". More sad was the fact that they charged us a reasonable $323/mo up until April 1st and then went to a daily rate that was usually about $1480/mo. That was "supposed" to include electricity, and I emailed Naiomi Hagelund several times to make sure she stayed plugged in. She never replied. When we saw she was indeed unplugged we discovered 8 - 6V Flooded Acid Interstate batteries (new 2021) were toast. The 8D's were recoverable, but the batteries for house bank were just barely out of the 12-month marine warranty, and my confidence that Interstate would help did not materialize. So, new batteries are needed. Thinking LiFePo, but not happy about the added $2-4k expense. Then we need to create a bimini (I prefer a hard top) for new solar panels and a new Victron charge controller, but one baby step at a time.

The refrigerator died and we installed a brand new one yesterday. Wanted a 12v/120v unit, but $2500 plus delays made the $466 unit (Energy Star Haier) from Lowe's a better fit for us...9.3 Cu feet and identical size to the old unit that lasted a couple of decades. Today we remount the microwave/convection oven on top of the new fridge and secure it to the structural base and retaining bracket for rough seas.

We did put on $550 worth of diesel before leaving Swantown, only on Port Tank, and are now listing, so we will be returning to get about the same in Starboard to balance us out. When we were faced with the question of "Where to park the car"? Those all seemed to be outrageously expensive options. So we found ourselves at West Bay Marina, about half a mile from Swantown, and were lucky enough to get a liveaboard slip, with utilities, and free parking for less than the cost of just parking a car at Swantown while we cruised. This allowed us to receive packages (fridge, tax documents, and a new galvanic isolator by Victron). This is a pretty hot marina, both in terms of temps and stray currents so we needed one and are going to install it before starting our Summer 2022 cruise of Puget Sound and the San Juans.

One big, slow task is removing (scraping, vacuuming, and sanding) all the flaking Awlgrip from the teal caprails and brow trim. Slow Goes It, but boy it looks so much better. I wanted to paint it a light grey color, but The Commander wants it left natural and others have said the inherent oily nature of teak will always cause adhesion problems, so it will be left natural I guess. Not wanting to get into a bi-annual routine of brightwork maintenance with Polyurethanes or varnishes, or even annual with Cetol, I think maybe a thrice annual application of real tung oil or teak oil with occasional sanding might be best for us. It can maintain its rugged workboat look without adding a ton of maintenance for us or any next owner perhaps.

Well, that is my update for this season, so far. Back to work on those rails.

Cheers and smooth seas to you,

DJ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom