Offer accepted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As to the possible motion when underway, she’s kind of long and narrow like my boat so I’m just guessing there’s going to be some roll. My boat is more of a rounded hull so it should not be as bad as mine.

However, being aluminum I think it would be relatively easy to install a paravane rig without a great deal of cost.

Edit:
I thought you wondered about the motion in this thread somewhere but now I don’t see that question anymore so disregard. Also, I just remembered your job is being out at sea so motion probably doesn’t bother you like us land lubbers. [emoji23]

Last edited:
As to the possible motion when underway, she’s kind of long and narrow like my boat so I’m just guessing there’s going to be some roll. My boat is more of a rounded hull so it should not be as bad as mine.

However, being aluminum I think it would be relatively easy to install a paravane rig without a great deal of cost.

Edit:
I thought you wondered about the motion in this thread somewhere but now I don’t see that question anymore so disregard. Also, I just remembered your job is being out at sea so motion probably doesn’t bother you like us land lubbers. [emoji23]

I think that came up in the 'interesting boats' thread. Actually I do try to minimize the roll at work, and largely for the same reasons as everyone here. Not because the boat cant handle it, or it's unsafe, but because it tends to make a mess, and can roll you out of bed, lol.

I am genuinely interested to see how she feels underway, and I'm really glad that the sea trial will include some time out on open Lake Ontario. If I was going to be doing more big open water passages, I would certainly be looking into paravanes.

Dave, what type of boats do you work on? I would be interested to see a few photos if you have any.

Very nice boat, very clean, great layout.congrats. Good luck with her.
Bud

Spiffy vessel. Custom touches everywhere. Love it!

Dave, what type of boats do you work on? I would be interested to see a few photos if you have any.

I'll do ya one better! Here's some swell drone footage that some boatnerd shot of us last year.

And in case anyone's interested, I've got a bunch of time lapse videos on my own channel. I think they're neat.

Congratulations. That boat looks super sweet.

I'll do ya one better! Here's some swell drone footage that some boatnerd shot of us last year.

And in case anyone's interested, I've got a bunch of time lapse videos on my own channel. I think they're neat.

That “handbrake” turn is impressive! Does a big ship like this have some kind of bow thruster or is that all done with the rudder?

That “handbrake” turn is impressive! Does a big ship like this have some kind of bow thruster or is that all done with the rudder?

Oh yeah, she’s got a thruster. I wanna say it’s around 800 horsepower.

Congratulations. That boat looks super sweet.

Thank you sir! I'm sure I'll have a bunch of dumb questions for you, xsbank, and everyone else with aluminum ships.

That's interesting that you're in the commercial marine biz. Some of the guys on my dock were graduates of MMA (Mass. Maritime Academy) and said they loved it. Lots of neat marine professions after they get their degree.

Dave. Really nice boat I hope you enjoy it. I Ce always been suspicious of aluminum hulls, butthat is just me.

Congrats.

A couple of notes/questions:

The Perkins engine is 85 hp. That is pretty small for a 26,000 lb (light ship?) boat. That will push the boat to hull speed at wot, but run it at maybe 2,200 max for decent life.

David

The Perkins 4.236 is certainly up to the job. I put over 4500 hours on one, which had a mid life rebuild (at about 4000 hours--didn't need a rebuild, but the PO didn't know how to change the main oil seal without taking the engine out of the boat!) The engine was completely examined and all was up to spec at 4000 hours. Since It was apart we put in new mains, and any part which seemed to wear. I sold that boat 20 years ago. The next owner still lives aboard and the engine still ticks over. That boat was a Cal 46, Displacement 30,000# lite boat, we sailed her fairly heavy, often with supplies aboard for 6 months. The specs are very similar to your boat (beam LWL and hull form just more draft with the keel)--she would run at a gallon an hour at 6 knots at 1600 RPM. Max speed was just shy of 9 knots. We never ran over 8 knots--and rarely did that. I consider that Perkins a great match for your hull.

Remember that "Idlewild" did her circumnavigation with a 55 hp Izusu. (She was 30,000 lite boat, 57' LOA, and 11' beam.)

Congratulations, she looks to be a well found and constructed vessel.

Last edited by a moderator:
High railings, round-the-boat deck, keel-protected rudder and propeller, both port and starboard helmsman doors, no flybridge. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

That's interesting that you're in the commercial marine biz. Some of the guys on my dock were graduates of MMA (Mass. Maritime Academy) and said they loved it. Lots of neat marine professions after they get their degree.

Yeah, it's a pretty good gig. You can't beat the vacation schedule, and the pay is generally pretty good. I'm glad I got into it. I've worked with quite a few people from Mass Maritime. They make good sailors. I'm a SUNY grad, myself.

Dave. Really nice boat I hope you enjoy it. I Ce always been suspicious of aluminum hulls, butthat is just me.

Congrats.

Suspicious is a good word for how I feel about it too. In fact think I've felt slightly suspicious of every hull that I've ever slept in, lol. I think I'll continue to do that. Keeps me on my toes!

The Perkins 436 is certainly up to the job. I put over 4500 hours on one, which had a mid life rebuild (at about 4000 hours--didn't need a rebuild, but the PO didn't know how to change the main oil seal without taking the engine out of the boat!) The engine was completely examined and all was up to spec at 4000 hours. Since It was apart we put in new mains, and any part which seemed to wear. I sold that boat 20 years ago. The next owner still lives aboard and the engine still ticks over. That boat was a Cal 46, Displacement 30,000# lite boat, we sailed her fairly heavy, often with supplies aboard for 6 months. The specs are very similar to your boat (beam LWL and hull form just more draft with the keel)--she would run at a gallon an hour at 6 knots at 1600 RPM. Max speed was just shy of 9 knots. We never ran over 8 knots--and rarely did that. I consider that Perkins a great match for your hull.

Remember that "Idlewild" did her circumnavigation with a 55 hp Izusu. (She was 30,000 lite boat, 57' LOA, and 11' beam.)

Congratulations, she looks to be a well found and constructed vessel.

Thanks! And thanks for the testimonial. I've never worked with a Perkins, in fact I've never owned a diesel before, so this will be new territory for me. From what I've been able to glean so far, these things are pretty well liked by their owners and mechanics alike.

High railings, round-the-boat deck, keel-protected rudder and propeller, both port and starboard helmsman doors, no flybridge. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Agreed! Although, I wouldn't have minded having a nice flying bridge. The aft steering station on this one will do nicely though.

really nice looking boat! Best of luck in survey, due diligence process

Thanks Jack! Heading out to Toronto tomorrow afternoon. Survey bright and early Wednesday morning. I sure am anxious. Fingers and toes crossed!

So you are coming to Florida

What is the air conditioning capacity because I did not see any in the specs? This looks like a great candidate boat for some long awnings and a bimini over the topside control station in nice weather.

What is the air conditioning capacity because I did not see any in the specs? This looks like a great candidate boat for some long awnings and a bimini over the topside control station in nice weather.

Yeah that back porch needs some shade for sure. It’s on my to-do list. She actually doesn’t have A/C yet. I’m thinking I may try to be one of the late season migrants heading south, to avoid the hottest weather. I’m hoping to find that I don’t need AC, but I doubt that’ll be the case. We shall see.

Late season migrant, hey? So November is when we finally get semi-consistent cooler weax, but the humidity is rarely low enough for comfortable sleeping even then. Do yourself a favor, and do not come this way without some way to cool off the sleeping quarters. AC is a requirement in my book to sleep aboard a boat that has been running all day because all that engine heat will not be easily gotten rid of by sleepy time. Screens don't keep out the noseeums meaning the portlights are shut anyway. We use AC here a few times in winter to dry the humid air out in the house.

What is the capacity of that genny? Hot summer whole boat cooling will take maybe two 16,000 Btu units. And don't forget the dehumidifier you will need or else face mold covering everything after a month of boat left alone.

Back
Top Bottom