off course alarm when single handing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have given up on autorouting to run the AP. Yes have it’s generated line shows on the screen but want me or any other helmsman to run waypoint to waypoint not only for the OP concern. Want the helmsman engaged in the activity but also reviewing the situation. Not infrequently there’s a good reason to not follow the course. Fish,lobster, crab pots/traps or traffic density or commercial trawlers or whatever. Also some times autoroute is just plain wrong. I want the helmsman to review the next leg. Not only for depth but also in terms of comfort/safety of the next leg. Sometimes changing course as little as 15 degrees increases comfort with no detriment to VMG or improves VMG.
Folks get screen hypnosis or become screen slaves. Both are bad. Sleep deprivation is as bad for performance as intoxication driving or running a boat. With respect if nodding off is a chronic issue go see a sleep physician. Sleepiness is dangerous not just when boating. If it’s a rare thing just use xte and go waypoint to waypoint.
For other reasons I don’t sit constantly. Helps keeps you in the game to get up limber up, scan a 360 with your own eyes. In a small slow boat think it’s as important to look behind you as in front. Even now not everyone has AIS.
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I once activated auto-route to see what it would suggest as routing between to area destinations and was totally unimpressed. I figured why not let to make a route that I could then edit by moving a few waypoint around, but it was so totally off that I reverted to the same practice I had used with paper charts, that is manually selecting each waypoint and scanning the path in between each for dangers. I have no problem letting the AP follow my routes, because I figure it allows me to keep better overall situational awareness frequently shifting to hand steering as the situation demands. If I get sleepy, I shift to hand steering or just stop. Again that is not an answer to Richard's question - it's just my simpleton approach.

So far I have not seen anybody directly answer Richard's question. It's like we fired a shotgun with all the pellets hitting in a donut pattern. He does not ask for an XTE alarm, but rather and OFF COURSE alarm, which is entirely different than a cross track alarm, although related.

I confess to NOT having the answer. :banghead:

Hey, do we own the same shotgun?

I once activated auto-route to see what it would suggest as routing between to area destinations and was totally unimpressed. I figured why not let to make a route that I could then edit by moving a few waypoint around, but it was so totally off that I reverted to the same practice I had used with paper charts, that is manually selecting each waypoint and scanning the path in between each for dangers. I have no problem letting the AP follow my routes, because I figure it allows me to keep better overall situational awareness frequently shifting to hand steering as the situation demands. If I get sleepy, I shift to hand steering or just stop. Again that is not an answer to Richard's question - it's just my simpleton approach.
With respect to auto routing. I won't use the plotter to auto create a route. I won't let the AP auto follow a route waypoint to waypoint. In decreasing ease of use to accomdate different needs:

I use a modified auto route AP method. I activate one waypoint at a time rather than the entire route. That way I enjoy the benefits of both the AP keeping XTE under control compensating for set and drift and enhanced situational awareness. I know that the next waypoint is coming up in xxx minutes, I know where I expect the boat to be at that time. That encourages me to stay on task. Very similar in terms of situational awareness to the old days of running a DR on paper charts, but simpiler to implement.

In busy areas or other areas with lots of required course changes I won't activate the waypoints in the route. I'll continually create two waypoint mini routes from where I am now to where I need to be next. Or a single waypoint. This will depend upon how the plotter and AP function together. That way I'm constantly making the best decision based on what's in front of me and yet the AP is still staying within the XTE limits I define.

In very busy areas or very narrow channels where hand steering might be the best option I prefer an AP with heading control by knob where 1 click = 1 degree heading change. I have the same flexibility and control I have with hand steering to dodge. Yet I know the boat will hold heading while I make a check of whatever needs my attention at that moment.

Any of the above give me a lot more time to look out the windows, consiser radar and AIS, make passing agrangements with other traffic when compared to hand steering.

There was an exception with an older Simrad AP 50. It could be configured to require the watch to acknowledge arrival at a waypoint and authorize the turn to the next. Upon entering the arrival circle the AP would sound an alarm and not change course until acknowleged.

I'm in agreement about not using the plotter to auto create routes. I've seen it make too many errors and or bad decisions. By the time I fix all the misakes I could have easily made a route the old fashoined way, one waypoint at a time studying the chart as I go. I trust the robots to do what I tell them to do. I don't trust them to make decisions for me.

With respect to auto routing. I won't use the plotter to auto create a route. I won't let the AP auto follow a route waypoint to waypoint. In decreasing ease of use to accomdate different needs:

We use plotter auto routing only to plan trips. It gives us good mileages and times and a general knowledge of what we face. However, we don't navigate in such large strokes. I'm going to place waypoints based on more current knowledge.

While I am single handing the Inside passage this summer, it is not unimaginable that I might doze off at the wheel and the auto pilot might decide to also doze. Is there any navigation iPad app that has a loud off course alarm.

Please don't respond with dumb comments like "don't fall asleep at the helm". That is not useful.

Richard

My Raymarine Axiom chart plotter does have Off Course alarm but not my Navionics app.

We generally leave the computer generated plot on the chart. But mostly to get time to and distance to our final destination. When going coastal for a hop generally stay a bit outside that plot. In areas we frequently travel pots and traps are an issue so standby is frequently used. The AP on “no drift” will take us back to the WP we’ve put in by hand.
When sailing it was more difficult. Tacking and gybing made any course you put down a suggestion . Find a big advantage of being on power now is things are point and shoot. Also have already found the biggest advantage of SD is you can get out of the way of others when necessary and can be a bit sloppy about currents if you’re willing to take the hit at the pump.

Back to the problem of falling asleep on watch.
One way is to stand your watches outside, as we did all the way around the world. You don't get many takers for that option in the trawler community.
Drivers falling asleep is a big problem in the truck industry.
That is being addressed with drowsiness sensors as pictured that alert the driver when he is "on the nod"
sleep (2).jpg

I found out how to turn on the off course alarm on the garmin and it allowed me to set how many feet off course. It made a slight noise and had a large banner that couldn't be missed. The wireing indicates a buzzer but not sure if its there. I need to put my hearing aids on to find the buzzer. Might try that on saturday.

I use a modified auto route AP method. I activate one waypoint at a time rather than the entire route. That way I enjoy the benefits of both the AP keeping XTE under control compensating for set and drift and enhanced situational awareness. I know that the next waypoint is coming up in xxx minutes, I know where I expect the boat to be at that time. That encourages me to stay on task. Very similar in terms of situational awareness to the old days of running a DR on paper charts, but simpiler to implement.

In busy areas or other areas with lots of required course changes I won't activate the waypoints in the route. I'll continually create two waypoint mini routes from where I am now to where I need to be next. Or a single waypoint. This will depend upon how the plotter and AP function together. That way I'm constantly making the best decision based on what's in front of me and yet the AP is still staying within the XTE limits I define.

I do let my autopilot go waypoint to waypoint; but on my Furuno it is simple to move the waypoints so I often will adjust the current or next waypoint to a more optimal location so it’s similar to your method. I then have the route saved for future use or reversing it if needed.

Thank you all for your replies. Good things to think about.

Nodding off at the helm mainly occurs to mariners on night time passages in dark pilot stations, after staring at a featureless radar screen for many hours. Fortunately my passage during the next month will be during daylight hours with plenty to watch. But you never know....

Richard P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom