OEM rail hinge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theblackhorse

Hello, thank you for having me, my name is Jay. I’m a noob residing in Bradenton FLA currently embarking upon a 1989 LRC reno that my Father owns, the Black Horse. Originally she was named Sugar, lulling away her years undercover in Texas (in case orig owner is known or here).

I’m looking forward to gleaming tons of experienced info from fellow trawlers?? here, so thank you for your guidance and expertise in any matter.

My question is this: what/where is the best source for OEM parts, specifically a rail hinge. See pic for ref. (Hopefully the attachment works)

Ive managed to locate one online but am unsure if its a satisfactory fix. Its a “buck harrington”??

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 9FD96124-6944-45D6-9678-F9C7A3E34004.jpeg
    9FD96124-6944-45D6-9678-F9C7A3E34004.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 44
Is yours broken or missing. Some of those hinges were made one-off to fit the profile of the handrails of the boat being built and could be difficult to find. If you have the OEM part and it is in poor shape, consider finding a machine shop capable of repairing it if your search deadends.

Is yours broken or missing. Some of those hinges were made one-off to fit the profile of the handrails of the boat being built and could be difficult to find. If you have the OEM part and it is in poor shape, consider finding a machine shop capable of repairing it if your search deadends.
Thanks for the speedy reply. No, its not broken, my dad cut the top deck rail out (bout 30”) to access the dinghy platform and were hoping we could find an near oem hinge for the rail to be functional again.

Given your suggestion, we may pull the existing one off, in my pic, and take it to a machinist.

My head always goes to resale when considering a fix but we may just use a widely avail marine hinge.

Thanks again rgano

Welcome aboard. I got a set from the Trojan store about 6 years ago. It is part of the Trojan Owners Group website. You might try them Bob Cushman, I think that was his name, was very helpful.

There are used equipment and fitting shops that will have some of these from time to time. Google is your friend.

I don't know why but I thought there was a STICKY here for shops like that. Maybe another forum?

Welcome aboard TF
You might give a call to Sailors Exchange - a salvage outfit in St Augustine. They have tons of stuff in their shop and might be able to match one up if you could send them a tracing of the rail profile.
https://www.sailors-exchange.com/
Don't be discouraged by the lack of items on their website as it is a small fraction of the stuff they have on hand. I'd say they carry more salvage than new or new old stock stuff.

Last edited:
Buck Algonquin, I believe.

Call Martin Marine in North Vancouver, Canada. He used to have a barrel (really, 20 gallon) of those.

Buck Algonquin, I believe.

Call Martin Marine in North Vancouver, Canada. He used to have a barrel (really, 20 gallon) of those.

Try Sams Marine, they have lots of Hatteras parts and I bought a similar part in the past ($600.00). New

Yes, if it is a Hatteras LRC, Sam's will likely have it. They are old school, call them with the hull number of the boat and they will know what you need. Great folks and a wonderful resource for vintage Hatteras owners.

Sam 's Marine Inventory

Thanks for the speedy reply. No, its not broken, my dad cut the top deck rail out (bout 30”) to access the dinghy platform and were hoping we could find an near oem hinge for the rail to be functional again.

Given your suggestion, we may pull the existing one off, in my pic, and take it to a machinist.

My head always goes to resale when considering a fix but we may just use a widely avail marine hinge.

Thanks again rgano

Having one machined would be very expensive. Take an old one to a small foundry they can use it in to sand cast an exact copy have it cast in bronze (dirt cheap), then to the machinist to be dressed and drilled then chromed if desired.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Good advice, thus far. The ONLY thing I might add is take that saw away from your father...

200.webp

Thank you all for the great response, much appreciated. I’ve sourced this elusive piece of deck hardware. It is made by Buck Algonquin (sorry earlier I was drawing from memory not my notes) and the (new/same?) company is Hydrasearch Recreational in Stevensville MD

Either way it can be found at buckalgonquin.com or hydrasearchrecreational.com. Same site, same company.

Ill be coming back here for a lot more updates & questions as the work progresses. Next up, this, that, the other and a bunch more tasks.

Thanks again!

"Take an old one to a small foundry they can use it in to sand cast an exact copy have it cast in bronze (dirt cheap), then to the machinist to be dressed and drilled then chromed if desired."

If used for sand casting the part will be a bit smaller as the bronze shrinks as it cools.

They are available. Did somebody say $600? No way! its also not a Hatteras part.

Yes, I think that they are around $600. Maybe a bit less but certainly not cheap.

"ANY pattern maker worth his/her salt can make allowances for shrinkage."

Of course , but having a new larger pattern created is not inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom