Ocean 40+2 Davits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Last Tango

Vessel Name
Last Tango
Vessel Make
Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
I have an Ocean Yachts Ocean 40+2 trawler. I am looking for the design of the original dinghy davits. A previous ownerr designed and installed a very cumbersome set of davits and I would like to see what the original design was, or perhaps look at what others may have come up with. My wife and I cruise the boat quite often and use the dinghy frequently, so I am looking for a quick launch and recovery system that also keeps the boat high enough out of the water to avoid being hit by an average following sea.

Thanks, Chris

We have a set of St. Croix davits. They seem strong enough (350 lbs, I believe) and keep the dink a good 3 ft. or more out of the water. They did seem to sway sideways a lot so I made up the stabilizer bar between them, which can also be purchased. I then tie the dink back to the davits with a couple of ratchet straps and it doesn't move. Very little time or effort to deploy or retrieve.

Attachments

• New dink & padded seat (Large).jpg
    New dink & padded seat (Large).jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 156
  • New davit stabilizer bracket.jpg
    New davit stabilizer bracket.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 335
Thanks Alan,

Is St Croix the manufacturer or is that a model name? I would like to research them a little to get dimensions, etc and see if they are suitable to mount to my transom or stiffened bulwarks, and also have enough reach to clear my swim platform.

Thanks again for the quick reply. BTW, although I have lived in Louisiana the past 35+ years, my family was from Ontario, in the Muskokas, Port Carling.

Thanks Alan,

Is St Croix the manufacturer or is that a model name? I would like to research them a little to get dimensions, etc and see if they are suitable to mount to my transom or stiffened bulwarks, and also have enough reach to clear my swim platform.

Thanks again for the quick reply. BTW, although I have lived in Louisiana the past 35+ years, my family was from Ontario, in the Muskokas, Port Carling.

St. Croix is actually manufacturer and their website is #1 Choice for Davits, Cranes & Lifting Devices - St. Croix Marine Products
They have several different types, ours are under the rotating davit section. They are very easy to install. We were in the Muskokas last week. Small world. I would rather be in Louisiana in the winter lol. Good luck with your project.

We have a Nick Jackson transom davit on our Ocean 40 that works quite well. It keeps the dink high, but launch and retrieval in good conditions is fast and easy. They have good pix on their website.

av8r
I have seen that Nick Jackson davit on a boat and really like the looks and concept. It swings the boat out past the swim platform my current Kato davits lower it straight down and the dinghy gets caught on the swim platform and has to be pushed off. I haven't seen the N. J. davit in operation and wondered if the cross bracing would make it difficult to get in and out of the dinghy to unhook it while the arms are still connected in the down position? or do you operate it in another way?

I step through the transom door onto the swimstep so I am standing beside the davit arms, then step into the open space in the dinghy behind the seat. I release the stern cables then step across the 2 seats to release the forward cable. I think it would be very awkward to work through the davit arms because of the cross- braces, as you say.

My davit and door are offset but I think otherwise you would want to step over the davit arm either way and step into the dinghy from outboard of the arms.

Chris I can't answer your question but I too have and 40+2 and im trying to find out how many are still around and were they are located. I'm in the process of remodeling as my boat was a party barge for 13 yes in the pacific northwest. Please any info you can help me with would be great thank you Don

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom