OASIS came to visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie mac

Veteran Member
a large trawler came to visit our marina this year called the OASIS they liveaboard and travel all around the world . they spent a week at our humble marina then made there way slowly to new york city for the winter. it is 70 feet long powered by a single 350 hp diesel.

Attachments

• lizzys new pics 040.jpg
    lizzys new pics 040.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 428
  • lizzys new pics 047.jpg
    lizzys new pics 047.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 646
  • lizzys new pics 045.jpg
    lizzys new pics 045.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 473
Wow that is nice. lots of toys too!

Lots of "wannabe" (forward leaning) windows. :thumb: I've only got three.

Funny she was there also. "Sea Lion" is her sistership and was in Maine and the northeast all summer as well. They are a liveaboard couple in their early 70s I would say and single-handing all 77' of her. The boats were built by Delta Marine.

The trawler was built and bought in alaska.

I've admired Oasis down in Victoria, BC several years ago. The owner founded Northern Marine. Might own part of Delta too.

I can't imagine why the wealthy would want a white pointy Italian yacht that looks like a clothes iron, when one could have this instead.

Right. I like the "workboat" look.

They were a very pleasant couple and they plan to stop in again next summer on the way to the great lakes. We are located in prince edward island canada at the montague marina.
http://www.montaguemarina.ca/

Last edited:
Nice! Kinda makes my "Oasis II" look a little humble.

I've admired Oasis down in Victoria, BC several years ago. The owner founded Northern Marine. Might own part of Delta too.

I can't imagine why the wealthy would want a white pointy Italian yacht that looks like a clothes iron, when one could have this instead.

Looks like a cloths iron.
Man that discription hit's the nail right on the head.
Love it.

SD

That looks like a Delta or a Northern Marine? Nice trawlers! Hard to tell them apart! Delta is in south Seattle, a friend dives for them, and North Marine is in Anacortes, and at most Trawler Fests. When moored on Lake Union we had a 85 Delta as a neighbor. The Sea Bear. Last I heard they were In Florida. Several years ago at the Seattle Boat Show it snowed/blizzard, so I took refuge in a Northern Marine as the show was slow so the sales person offered me a hot drink/refreshemnts. Not knowing who he was we started talking about boats and live, turns out he was the owner of Northern Marina.

There’s a YouTube series the owner of Oasis did. He’s sailed all his life. Built Oasis later and as of the video date lived full time 29 out of 28 years on it and part time the remainder. Something like 150,000 nm plus cruising miles. Well worth the watch. Clifford Rome, An achievable dream. Goes through various cruises, vessel preparation, weather routing etc.

Here’s episode 1 link

https://youtu.be/opyFJp0lkhc

Last edited:
Oh see, I'm perfectly happy with the boat we have, but threads like this make me want an ocean-crossing 70-footer. My wife always tells me, don't be "PD" perpetually dissatisfied. But boy that boat is nice.

Funny I just got off the 0hone with John Clayton and saw this boat on his website Seaton. Is it a Seaton?

Just watched a video of the owner in the engine room. That boat is like 25 years old and not a speck of oil on anything. Impressive.

If lived aboard my boat 24/7 I’m sure my engine would be spotless as well however.

Just kidding
[emoji849]

We passed Oasis this past summer in Lewis Channel, Desolation Sound. She was headed south. What a spectacular vessel. Beautiful.

Oasis looks amazing. Any more of these Delta’s around?

Last edited:
Sharing Roche Harbor with Oasis right now. What a beautiful Delta. Downloaded a bunch of the YT videos to watch later.

Oasis looks amazing. Any more of these Delta’s around?

There are but I know not where. I have seen a couple over the years, one was all white in Cordero Channel, past the Dent Rapids but many years ago.

The first was a vessel named Zopilote built about 1985 or 86. THere were magazine articles in Motor Boating and Sailing and then Boating.
If I remember correctly Passagemaker of the day also did an article.

MB &S covered the owners search for his vessel to be builder and Boating covered the equipping of the boat for electronics.

I just wish I had kept the magazine for the articles but I did not.

An online article covering the owners and Zopilote, the Bering Sea crabbing boat he had built and cruised the world in.

https://www.soundingsonline.com/features/a-hollywood-scripted-trawler-tale

There are but I know not where. I have seen a couple over the years, one was all white in Cordero Channel, past the Dent Rapids but many years ago.

The first was a vessel named Zopilote built about 1985 or 86. THere were magazine articles in Motor Boating and Sailing and then Boating.
If I remember correctly Passagemaker of the day also did an article.

MB &S covered the owners search for his vessel to be builder and Boating covered the equipping of the boat for electronics.

I just wish I had kept the magazine for the articles but I did not.

An online article covering the owners and Zopilote, the Bering Sea crabbing boat he had built and cruised the world in.

https://www.soundingsonline.com/features/a-hollywood-scripted-trawler-tale

Then Spirit of Zopilote in this article: Bruce Kessler, Passagemaker of the Year - Trawlers & Trawlering

The Oasis is my dream boat, followed by other Delta 70’s. It seems like the original Zopilote was an earlier Delta 70 that sunk?

Don't mean to stir the pot, but...
  • 150,000nm on Oasis
  • Circumnavigation by Zopilote
You do realize that both of these vessels were singles, right? Haha to all you "twins" guys :)

Anyway, seriously was wondering if either of these were equipped with any get-home backups. I don't remember ever reading about a pony engine on Zopilote, but perhaps he had a hydraulic drive to the main shaft?

oasis is a hydraulic drive from a genset get-home.

Been used 1x in about 25 years according to a video I watched. They had an electrical problem that melted the starter wire on the main. shut everything down, got it all under control, used the get home to limp back into the harbor.

70 foot Oasis

a large trawler came to visit our marina this year called the OASIS they liveaboard and travel all around the world . they spent a week at our humble marina then made there way slowly to new york city for the winter. it is 70 feet long powered by a single 350 hp diesel.

The Oasis Was Moored In Roche’s Harbor last winner and is now in the Gulf Islands of Canada. Cliff Rome is the owner and makes wonderful videos that should be viewed by most trawlers.

That is his boat. His presentation reminds me of some of my college professors but the information he provides is fantastic. He also has a golden retriever so he can’t be all that bad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom