Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #61
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We are now considering the yard we will use to do the repairs. As we are located in Stuart FL we will be using a local yard. So far we have had the boat looked at by American Custom Yacht and Whiticar Boat Works. Both agree that there is no apparent structural damage. Yes, we considered Hinkley as well but a few "locals" advised against using them. We were also encouraged to consider Cracker Boy in Fort Pierce---I know nothing about them.



I would appreciate any input from those of you familiar with the yards in this area. Thanks to all.

I had good luck with the contractors who do lots of work at Cracker Boy. They showed up when they said they would, and finished on time. From what I understand CB only employs people who do bottom jobs and some other jobs, but most jobs are done by outside contractors? Kind of like a DIY yard but not really? I may be confused.
__________________
Advertisement

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #62
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Stuart FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I had good luck with the contractors who do lots of work at Cracker Boy. They showed up when they said they would, and finished on time. From what I understand CB only employs people who do bottom jobs and some other jobs, but most jobs are done by outside contractors? Kind of like a DIY yard but not really? I may be confused.
Yes, that's what I've heard too.
__________________

__________________
Howard
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #63
Veteran Member
 
J105's Avatar
 
City: Westport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Osprey Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 47
howard,

I would get Steve from A&J Boatworks to take a look...we have had our boat in their twice and very happy with glasswork, etc.
A&J Boatworks

Cheers

Bryan
J105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #64
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We are now considering the yard we will use to do the repairs. As we are located in Stuart FL we will be using a local yard. So far we have had the boat looked at by American Custom Yacht and Whiticar Boat Works. Both agree that there is no apparent structural damage. Yes, we considered Hinkley as well but a few "locals" advised against using them. We were also encouraged to consider Cracker Boy in Fort Pierce---I know nothing about them.

I would appreciate any input from those of you familiar with the yards in this area. Thanks to all.
I would stick with a yard that can be responsible for all the work, even if hidden damage is discovered. I highly recommend ACY, don't have the same knowledge of Whiticar but have heard good things about them. I would not go to Cracker Boy, simply because of the limitations of what they do themselves vs other contractors there. Hinckley has had experienced a good bit of turnover and I would be less comfortable with.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #65
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,299
Howard, are you staying on the boat during the repair (all or part of it) and does that factor into the choice of boatyard?

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #66
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Stuart FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would stick with a yard that can be responsible for all the work, even if hidden damage is discovered. I highly recommend ACY, don't have the same knowledge of Whiticar but have heard good things about them. I would not go to Cracker Boy, simply because of the limitations of what they do themselves vs other contractors there. Hinckley has had experienced a good bit of turnover and I would be less comfortable with.
Good advice. Thanks B.

Ted, We will not be staying on the boat; I'm figuring 4 - 6 weeks on the hard. Waiting until April so we can enjoy the season on board. No cruising of course.
__________________
Howard
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #67
Guru
 
FoxtrotCharlie's Avatar
 
City: Mississippi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 808
ACY is owned by one of my former banking customers. Can't speak highly enough for them. Very reputable folks indeed.
FoxtrotCharlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #68
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,984
I have to second A&J Boatworks. Steve and the guys were predictable, on time, and on price as well. I stayed aboard while on the hard, no issues. Really sad to hear about the accident though.
__________________
Larry

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #69
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
ACY is owned by one of my former banking customers. Can't speak highly enough for them. Very reputable folks indeed.
I've never used ACY for any work but I have tremendous respect for the Chouest family. Doesn't necessarily guarantee good work but since they fish and had work done there before they bought it, just imagine pretty good standards.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #70
Veteran Member
 
City: Hobe Sound FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: CORISANDE
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 60
I have also heard very good things about American, and once had some paint work done there.
For this project, I might be more inclined to go to Whitticar as it is smaller, and you are less likely to get lost in the shuffle. I have been using them for the last year, and they have completed everything on time, and under budget.
I also second the endorsement of Greg Burdick at Stuart Yacht.
You would be well served by all three, but I would recommend Whitticar for this project.
I would not go to Rybovich because this project is too small, although it is a good yard.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #71
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldwin View Post
I have also heard very good things about American, and once had some paint work done there.
For this project, I might be more inclined to go to Whitticar as it is smaller, and you are less likely to get lost in the shuffle. I have been using them for the last year, and they have completed everything on time, and under budget.
I also second the endorsement of Greg Burdick at Stuart Yacht.
You would be well served by all three, but I would recommend Whitticar for this project.
I would not go to Rybovich because this project is too small, although it is a good yard.
Best,
Maldwin
We're Rybovich customers and didn't recommend them for the same reason. If you have an ongoing relationship small jobs still get attention, but as a first time customer it could be hard.
__________________

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×