Old 02-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Not an FPB...

....but some of the same rationale.

From MVWeebles in the on going FPB thread:

"FPB is an amazing design. $1.5m - $2.0m is a lot of money. But there's a solid market for yachts in that price range. They are perhaps a slight premium over a comparable Nordhavn for example. A much different boat.

Crossing an ocean at a solid 12 kts - almost 300 nm days - is incredible."

Admittedly, I have a pretty bad boat jones, but not that kind of boat jones. Still, the idea of a faster, highly efficient, ocean capable cruise is what caught my eye with my new ride. (also, and to no small degree, value)
Every boat is a compromise and the other boat on my wish list at the time of this purchase was a 68x14 aluminum ocean cruiser. In the end, what put me off that one and onto the powercat was the 'not at cruise' platform that it represents. Even as a world cruiser for the last ten years with 53000 nm, 45 countries, and three crossings, it will still be true that during those 10 years that 94% of the time the boat is not in motion. The monohull at 14 beam had much less space above the water, less access to the water and around 50% of its interior volume dedicated to sleeping area. Way too little outdoor hangout space. Seemed absurd when I thought about that for mostly a cruising couple that really enjoys watersports and hanging out on deck.
The cat solved that and still offered an incredible range and designed, as the FPB, for comfortable uphill travel which I hope we will benefit from in travelling between the PNW and Sea of Cortez seasonally.
High prismatic coefficient hull and good behavior beating to weather is what Malcom Tennant, the designer, was targeting, and like Dashew, did a good share of his work on sailing vessels. I think the result in this design is a hybrid between something like Beowulf and the FPB.
The entry forward is very fine (see photo) for slicing into head seas but then plenty of reserve buoyancy as you get above the waterline. The helmsman sits at the metacenter. Lots of rudder and twin propulsion spaced far apart should make downhill control pretty effective as well. Twin Simrad AP will help with that.
Her cruising groove is around 11kn and she burns just over 5 gph at that speed. I have seen video of her making 17kn into a 20kn wind on her nose and the ride appears to be quite comfortable. The top end of her recent sea trial was 24.5kn!
The tunnel design under the bridge deck is to prevent the slap in flatter designs and to create a pressurized air cushion as the vessel descends after topping a sea. The hulls have a canoe form aft. In a video of 12kn cruise, this combination resulted in zero bow wave and real flat and quiet behind her.
Given the strange times we live in, I had to make this leap remotely. Thus, there is a real chance I will be disappointed but given how much I have studied this, I don't expect that will be the case.
Quite the leap it is for sure. Her FRP build took me awhile to consider given what I currently drive and I have no experience with the motion in a multihull in this size range. But, given 65+ feet of boat travelling at these speeds and still over 2nmpg is something I needed to try.
Time will tell. I am excited to try and will get a pretty good chance on her 2200 nm trip home!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4867.jpg   2764641_bce40983_38.jpg   domino-20-power-catamaran-wingdeck.jpg   2764641_255fcec7_37.jpg  
Old 02-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Now that is a cool looking boat! Not the brutally salty look of Libra, but it's definitely got presence.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Klee Wyck: question for you. Domino has been on the market for a few years. With exception of being a single head boat, she appears to be a helluva passagemaker. Great pedigree. The last asking price I saw for her was a bargain. Why did it take so long for her to find a home? Thar she was in Mexico? Single head? Other?

You've got great taste in boats. Quantity and quality.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I have seen your new ride around for some time, looks like a great boat and a multi cannot be beat for comfort at anchor. The motion can take a bit to get used to on a multi under sail, but I found the multi under power doesn't depower like they do under sail and the motion is not as abrupt. We all look forward to a report when you pick her up and head north.
congratulations
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Klee Wyck: question for you. Domino has been on the market for a few years. With exception of being a single head boat, she appears to be a helluva passagemaker. Great pedigree. The last asking price I saw for her was a bargain. Why did it take so long for her to find a home? Thar she was in Mexico? Single head? Other?

You've got great taste in boats. Quantity and quality.
Great question and one that certainly slowed me down. I think there are several aspects that make this vessel hard to sell.
One head
No washer/dry went she went on the market, just ringer, now cured, and big deal, right?
One off design which always paralyzes most folks
Built in Paraguay
Cored all the way.
Multihull
multihull
multihull
It is easy to find skeptics of multihull since so few folks have considerable sea time on them, especially on this coast. Time after time when speaking to folks in my orbit, I just got puzzled looks which I read as an unspoken suggestion that Bill had finally lost it. Most of the folks that have spent serious time on multihulls are in the Southern hemisphere and not on my continent, but I found a few. The captain that will help me move her up here has spent serious time in the Gulf of Alaska on a well found one in this size range and he was blown away by both this vessel and her listing price.
To get over some of the other stuff you just have to choose to believe in JP, her original owner and someone who has given this project 21 years of his life thru design, build, and significant cruise time. He is a wonderful and serious person and I have gotten to know him reasonably well. Well enough to abandon reservation and make this leap. I am going with JP and comfortable with that. His reasoning has seemed very sound in all aspects. His care of this vessel is beyond reproach. He and his bride of 50 years are on the 5th iteration of a manual that they are providing for me complete with high res photos and video. I have never been treated to this level of detail from a prior owner. It is their baby and they call this 'walking her down the aisle'. AS you can tell, I admire them as much as this vessel and they have made this remote process more comforting than any I have done in person.
Good thing too, since the surveyor was a bozo.
I is my belief that I am getting one helluva vessel at one helluva price.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'll be following your journeys with great interest! When do you plan to pick her up and head north?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #7

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
Congratulations on choosing a vessel with the correct number of hulls. We have shared a few anchorages with Domino when she made it down here a while back. Looking forward to your reports.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'll be following your journeys with great interest! When do you plan to pick her up and head north?
We will not travel before getting vaccinated and that is also the view of the captain from Eureka, CA that I have hired. Also, since this is my first stab at the Northbound Pacific coast transit, we are targeting the Summer highs of late June or July. It is yet to be proven that I have that kind of sea legs.

And, just for you, a fresh fish photo from overnight. The sellers who were quite far South in Ixtapa when our purchase was agreed upon, have agreed to deliver her 900 miles North to San Carlos to be stored on the hard for hurricane season as the insurers require. They were underway on the first 350nm leg to PV for the past 32 hours. They slowed to 8 knots for a bit to 'catch the last fish' as JP says. Well they did, and after a 90 minute battle, this specimen lay on the swim step. They are now anchored in greater Banderas Bay awaiting another good window likely around Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed (1).jpg  
Old 02-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
Congratulations on choosing a vessel with the correct number of hulls. We have shared a few anchorages with Domino when she made it down here a while back. Looking forward to your reports.
Thanks, Darkside,
Her pedigree is certainly more typical of your geography than mine, but I expect she will adapt to the Eastern Pacific quite well. It is inspiring to me that for this money I can have a vessel that has visited both geographies and in between on her own bottom.
We shall see.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I have seen your new ride around for some time, looks like a great boat and a multi cannot be beat for comfort at anchor. The motion can take a bit to get used to on a multi under sail, but I found the multi under power doesn't depower like they do under sail and the motion is not as abrupt. We all look forward to a report when you pick her up and head north.
congratulations
HOLLYWOOD
Thanks Hollywood,
I think your description of a delivery you did out the Strait of JDF on a commercial cat may have been one of the things that allowed my mind to open to this. I remember you being impressed and I certainly respect your sea time resume.
She will spend a fair bit of time anchored just below your home and you are welcome aboard any time. I would look forward to that.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #11
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
WTF, I was hanging out for Domino, she just needed to drop another $100k. (-;

Congrats, she'll be a great vessel for sure
While she may be a one off design, Malcolm Tennant has considerable runs on the board.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
We will not travel before getting vaccinated and that is also the view of the captain from Eureka, CA that I have hired. Also, since this is my first stab at the Northbound Pacific coast transit, we are targeting the Summer highs of late June or July. It is yet to be proven that I have that kind of sea legs.

And, just for you, a fresh fish photo from overnight. The sellers who were quite far South in Ixtapa when our purchase was agreed upon, have agreed to deliver her 900 miles North to San Carlos to be stored on the hard for hurricane season as the insurers require. They were underway on the first 350nm leg to PV for the past 32 hours. They slowed to 8 knots for a bit to 'catch the last fish' as JP says. Well they did, and after a 90 minute battle, this specimen lay on the swim step. They are now anchored in greater Banderas Bay awaiting another good window likely around Tuesday.
Makes sense to delay. June/July is a GREAT time on the CA Delta.....just sayin'...

No doubt, the crew's arms are tired after 1 1/2 hrs of fight. What a great 'last fish'. Your boat comes with good fishing mojo. I'll be living vicariously by your huge fish photos...no pressure...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #13
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I'm guessing you're not going to regret taking the leap. Beautiful vessel, congratulations.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
Found this photo of her when she was in your neck of the woods at Bay Of Islands.
Attached Thumbnails
Bay of Islands NZ.jpg  
Old 02-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #15

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
We saw Domino at Great Barrier, she just looks so right sitting low and purposeful on the water.
However a little story from this summer in the Bay of Islands you might like.
We went out for dinner and got talking boats with our waiter. It turns out that his dad is the designer of our next boat, which is of course a displacement powercat. New Zealand is a small place.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #16
Guru

Here are a few more tidbits from my new nautical bride.
First pic is the helm station. I have always wanted a double helm chair and had shopped in consideration of placing one in one of our current boats.
The comnav is almost all Furuno to include a 6' array and AIS. The exception is the APs with a pair of Simrad.
Engine controls are Glendenning with fixed stations at this helm and on the flybridge, and remote stations at the bow and stern.
Windows are always an important consideration on a sea boat. Of course we want good light and good visibility and of course we do not want water inside when things get ugly. The balance here is lots of windows all around but the front row is pretty protected by a high foredeck and they are not tall. All windows and door glass is Diamond Sea Glaze, some in 13x10mm and some in 7x12, all in aluminum.
The latter two pictures are a strange juxtaposition for me and I will be interested in reconciling that in person.
As Darkside said above, she has this low slung, no nonsense profile when looking at her laying at a distance. Then, apparently when you get close, she does appear to loom large. It will be an interesting introduction to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails
2764641_0df36341_12.jpg   130723490_10221383451953834_6811516497685820136_n.jpg   150236068_10221938224582803_8124665885045767925_n.jpg  
Old 02-21-2021, 07:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Squam Lake
Vessel Model: Rossiter Coastal Cruiser
Thanks so much for sharing Bill. I absolutely love the lines and salty looks of your newest boat! And I've always loved your taste in trawlers so your acquisition of a cat has really gotten me thinking. I've spent a good portion of my sunday morning reading Domino's blog. It makes me wish there were more cat manufacturers in North America. I spent an hour looking at power cats on yachtworld and it looks like you got the hands down best out there!
GraniteStater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #18
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Truly amazing vessel. Shouldn’t burp nor hobbyhorse given design. So will be a great seaboat. Only issue I see is docking in a crosswind off the pier. A whole new set of skills to learn.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #19
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Only issue I see is docking in a crosswind off the pier. A whole new set of skills to learn.

Agreed. But looking at the distribution of windage and the hull pictures, I'd guess it would blow sideways a lot more evenly than many boats, rather than rapidly blowing the bow off or anything like that. So it might be a challenge, but it doesn't look like it would try to get you into any really strange situations.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Truly amazing vessel. Shouldn’t burp nor hobbyhorse given design. So will be a great seaboat. Only issue I see is docking in a crosswind off the pier. A whole new set of skills to learn.
No experience for sure....but I am guessing that if you had a wind off the dock situation, I would back into the dock stern to and then use the outboard prop to put the bow on the dock with a spring to the stern cleat.

That is at home dock which is an end tie in Blaine. Every where else I expect she will be anchored as slips to fit her will be rare indeed.
12000 liter fuel capacity means for me, likely a fuel dock every couple of years! I will pick a good day.....