Not an FPB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Simi, what actually constitutes CS compared to those Brady ones?

Would this be considered CS, or CS-like? (it's of the same era when Malcolm put it into his):
View attachment 115237
CS like, similar to the Brady pictured ealier.

True CS is Canoe Stern like in the below pics

image.jpg

Last edited:

True CS is Canoe Stern like in the below pics

image.jpg

I think this photo of Domino gives a view of the Malcom Tennant CS hull pretty well. Canoe stern indeed, it pinches quite steeply aft over at least half of the underwater portion coming to stern.

Attachments

• 2764641_de46b597_40.jpg
    2764641_de46b597_40.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 53

So the Brady looks a little more like a standard skeg than CS? Just wondering your comment "checking again they aren't really CS at all"?

The one I posted does seem more CS to me than the Brady, but I'm not sure I'm seeing the difference very well :ermm:

Congratulations!

Congrats! You must be over the moon.

So does that mean you are now the owners of 160’ of boat? Is that a TF record?

:dance:

Update to this:
As of yesterdays closing, we are now down 47' to 113' and holding.
Fare thee well, KLEE WYCK, I suspect you will bring your new caretaker great joy.
That was a great boat for us.

In terms of Domino, with the pandemic and all, it took a very long time to get all of the documentation and TIP paperwork through the agencies on both sides of the border. Just got confirmation of the last of it last Friday. With border closed to the North for the foreseeable, and the lateness of the season in terms of the Northward migration, we have elected to leave Domino in Mexico for this coming year and hopefully enjoy some great Sea of Cortez cruising and beyond for this Fall and Winter.
I still have not laid eyes on her in person. With the heat and humidity set in the for the season down there we are likely to make our introductions in mid to late October. She is safely stowed in a dry yard until after hurricane season.

BTW, KLEE WYCK is staying local so we get to admire her from a distance from time to time I hope.
For now, we will enjoy Libra here in the PNW

Attachments

• Klee Wyck.jpg
    Klee Wyck.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 38
Congratulations and condolences on your sale of Klee Wyck. Maybe the new owners might consider introducing themselves here?

Either way, I’m looking forward to hearing of your adventures aboard Domino.

Congrats on the sale of Klee Wyck, Bill!! The new owners are getting a beaut!!

Hope you get to enjoy the Sea of Cortez soon. What a great adventure.

Are you keeping your screen name as Klee Wyck? If you decide to change it, your friendly Mod Squad will assist you in the proper etiquette for a TF renaming ceremony. :D

Congratulations and condolences on your sale of Klee Wyck. Maybe the new owners might consider introducing themselves here?

Good idea. That should be a condition of sale on any of the well-known boats on this site.

And so we finally meet Domino in person…. She is as advertised and I am pretty excited.
We are spending a couple of days sorting and provisioning, and then the Sea of Cortez era begins.

Attachments

• 3B981F2A-E95B-46E5-86FC-5A48043E488B.jpeg
    3B981F2A-E95B-46E5-86FC-5A48043E488B.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 51
Bill: Sincere congratulations for demonstrating that one can awaken from one magnificent dream and begin another. Klee Wyck is, no doubt, a dream passed forward, but Domino….well, I followed the build, and it’s no less than a double-hulled cathedral to the sea. Awesome!

Last edited:
Very exciting news, Bill! Looking forward to learning about your transition aboard and new discoveries on and off the boat!

A heartfelt Congratulations!!

Yes! Thank you Larry and Al.
Dream indeed, don’t pinch me! We are finding the boat to be as expected. We have spent the last two days sorting her on the hard and will go in the water in the morning. I think we are ready. I am excited to see how she sails. We will do some trials after we splash and then see if there is time left to cross the Sea of Cortez. If not, we will anchor overnight near Guaymas and cross Tuesday. Wednesday will be south along the Baja side arriving late evening to the berth we have reserved in La Paz. We will begin our exploring from there.
What a wild experience buying this vessel sight unseen and embarking on the Sea of Cortez era with no real qualifications or experience.
Fun! This boat seems like she take great care of us.

Congratulations to the new crew of Domino! I envy you, the Sea of Cortez sounds like a pretty swell cruising ground.

I can recommend the Audiobook of Steinbeck's 'The Log From the Sea of Cortez.' I managed to enjoy it on the NJ ICW, but I bet it would be a lot more fun where you are.

Here's wishing you many happy years aboard.

Congratulations to the new crew of Domino! I envy you, the Sea of Cortez sounds like a pretty swell cruising ground.

I can recommend the Audiobook of Steinbeck's 'The Log From the Sea of Cortez.' I managed to enjoy it on the NJ ICW, but I bet it would be a lot more fun where you are.

Here's wishing you many happy years aboard.

My wife just finished this Steinbeck ‘Log’ on the Kindle. I will look forward to reading it next.
Thanks Wayfarer!

Is it time for a new avatar, yet? Too soon? :hide:

Yeah…too soon. Libra has time served on her side and is the steady girlfriend.
Domino will need to earn the avatar! I am betting she is up to it….

Bill, you have exceptional taste in your vessels. I really drooled over Libra when I saw her listed, and Domino looks real comfortable.

Even though we have it pretty bloody good and have no complaints I do envy you jagging Domino, she is a long lusted over and we'll proven, more than capable vessel.
Well done

Update for the curious:
We splashed Domino on Monday in Guaymas and have been reveling in her since. She is the real deal.
We crossed the Sea of Cortez on Tuesday after a brief shakedown on Monday. We kept turning things on and the things kept responding and operating as designed despite setting in that hot dry yard unattended for 8 months. On Wednesday we made the southbound trek to La Paz in a 15-17 knot Northerly after an overnight in the anchorage by the church on Isla Carmen. We anchored out again at Ballena on Wednesday night so that we could come into La Paz in the morning on a favorable current to our slip.
She handles like a dream in close quarters as well as in the 5-6 seas quartered to stern on the way down.
Fuel curve looks like 3 gph at 8 knots, 5.5 gph at 11 knots and 14 gph at 14 knots. We had her up to 20 knots briefly on the shakedown but she was hogging it down there.
It would appears as though we made an excellent choice here despite not meeting her in person until 8 months after closing!
Photos top to bottom are 1. Guaymas launch 2. San Carlos first night 3. Ballena anchorage 4. Domino home dock in La Paz with my partner in crime on the back deck.

We are exhausted from the rapid learning curve but super excited for the new adventure!

Attachments

• Guymas Launch.jpg
    Guymas Launch.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 32
  • San Carlos first night.jpg
    San Carlos first night.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Ballena.jpg
    Ballena.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 28
  • La Paz Home Dock.jpg
    La Paz Home Dock.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Update for the curious:
We splashed Domino on Monday in Guaymas and have been reveling in her since. She is the real deal.
We crossed the Sea of Cortez on Tuesday after a brief shakedown on Monday. We kept turning things on and the things kept responding and operating as designed despite setting in that hot dry yard unattended for 8 months. On Wednesday we made the southbound trek to La Paz in a 15-17 knot Northerly after an overnight in the anchorage by the church on Isla Carmen. We anchored out again at Ballena on Wednesday night so that we could come into La Paz in the morning on a favorable current to our slip.
She handles like a dream in close quarters as well as in the 5-6 seas quartered to stern on the way down.
Fuel curve looks like 3 gph at 8 knots, 5.5 gph at 11 knots and 14 gph at 14 knots. We had her up to 20 knots briefly on the shakedown but she was hogging it down there.
It would appears as though we made an excellent choice here despite not meeting her in person until 8 months after closing!
Photos top to bottom are 1. Guaymas launch 2. San Carlos first night 3. Ballena anchorage 4. Domino home dock in La Paz with my partner in crime on the back deck.

We are exhausted from the rapid learning curve but super excited for the new adventure!

Thanks for posting - please do keep us updated, you have a fascinating vessel.

Amazing that a 20m power cat can best the 8kt efficiency of our 13T 41' trawler by 25%, or match it at ~50% greater speed.

Thanks for posting - please do keep us updated, you have a fascinating vessel.

Amazing that a 20m power cat can best the 8kt efficiency of our 13T 41' trawler by 25%, or match it at ~50% greater speed.

Interesting, but not surprising, like every boat I have driven, she has a groove where everything sounds right, feels right, and the boat is quiet in the water. For Domino, that feels like it is around 11 knots. Of course, that is her hull speed and happens when the two John Deere are at about 1000 rpm. There is no wake.
Even at 15 knots she has no bow wave but squats enough to make a decent stern wave.

We had a great couple of weeks for the introduction to Domino and the Sea of Cortez. We are quite impressed with both!
The cruisers community down there is just the friendliest and most helpful we have met. We have taken up residence at La Paz for now.

Pictures are: 1. Two sets of propwash but no wake at 11 knots. No discernable bow or stern waves. Burning about 4.8 gallons at this point when I snapped the photo.
2. The beauty of the SOC is breathtaking, these well worn rock walls are everywhere.
3. On the foredeck after a successful swim to the reef to procure fresh seafood for supper!

BTW...there is an FPB in the anchorage just outside the marina where we are moored. An unmistakable profile for sure.

Attachments

• 11 knot no wake.jpg
    11 knot no wake.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 44
  • SOC.jpg
    SOC.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Foredeck.jpg
    Foredeck.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 52
Displaning was a description coined by Peter Brady, a designer who also uses a variant of tenants CS hull shape

Reasonable sort of description given the speed even though they don't actually get up on the plane.

The Team | Pacific Powercats

Actually, checking again they aren't really CS at all but still an interesting word.

29_4.jpg

I may have experienced this 'displaning' on Domino a few days ago.
On a trip down the Sea of Cortez I was experimenting with various speeds.
Her efficient range seems to be a little over ten knots which is around 1050 rpm for her two John Deere engines and where she is burning just a little over five gallons an hour giving her a range of about 6000 nautical miles at 2 nmpg.
Efficiency in terms of gallons per hour and nm/gallon drops off pretty quickly after that and lands around 1 nmpg near 12.5-13 knots but then instead of getting worse, it gets slightly better at around 14 knots. From watching her waterline, it seems she comes up nearly a foot. She is not planing, but doing something weird. It is a strange feeling to experience a boat of this size moving along at that speed with seemingly not enough effort. The engines were right around 1800 rpm here.
I will try to attach two short video links of stern and bow.
Whatever it is.....I like it! We had her around 20 knots for a while!

Those wakes look like what I'd expect from a hull running on plane. The lifting effect would also point in that direction. But a narrow hull won't climb onto plane nearly as dramatically as a wide hull, so there's less of a distinction between not planing and planing.

Depending on speed, weight, depth of the forefoot, etc. a hull running on plane doesn't always carry the bow out of the water. A fine bow that doesn't make a ton of lift and doesn't have dramatic chines to throw water out to the sides will tend to stay more immersed and show water curling off like your video, rather than spraying off. Compare the pictures below as an example.

The first 2 pictures are 2 different views of an old commuter style boat running at speed. It's clearly well above hull speed, and based on the wake, I'd say it's planing. But it's not lifted up overly high in the water and the water is curling off the bow, not getting sprayed out to the side. A similar effect is seen in the third picture showing an older style runabout. All of these were made to move quickly with limited power, so compared to modern designs, they're fairly narrow. The 4th picture shows a more modern design that's lifted much higher out of the water on plane.

112119btpm-5527.webp

112119btpd-0599_v2.webp

adobestock_215154279.webp

lead-planing-hull

I saw a YouTube on Domino from a couple that inspected it to buy but went a different direction. They were seemingly quite impressed but wanted to live aboard with a child so preferred a different layout. Coming from a Nordhavn 40.

YouTube channel Cassidy’s Sailing Trawler

Last edited:
Circa Marine's proposed low profile FPB

FB_IMG_1647661888107.jpg

Looks a lot less industrial.

....but some of the same rationale.

From MVWeebles in the on going FPB thread:

"FPB is an amazing design. $1.5m - $2.0m is a lot of money. But there's a solid market for yachts in that price range. They are perhaps a slight premium over a comparable Nordhavn for example. A much different boat.

Crossing an ocean at a solid 12 kts - almost 300 nm days - is incredible."

Admittedly, I have a pretty bad boat jones, but not that kind of boat jones. Still, the idea of a faster, highly efficient, ocean capable cruise is what caught my eye with my new ride. (also, and to no small degree, value)
Every boat is a compromise and the other boat on my wish list at the time of this purchase was a 68x14 aluminum ocean cruiser. In the end, what put me off that one and onto the powercat was the 'not at cruise' platform that it represents. Even as a world cruiser for the last ten years with 53000 nm, 45 countries, and three crossings, it will still be true that during those 10 years that 94% of the time the boat is not in motion. The monohull at 14 beam had much less space above the water, less access to the water and around 50% of its interior volume dedicated to sleeping area. Way too little outdoor hangout space. Seemed absurd when I thought about that for mostly a cruising couple that really enjoys watersports and hanging out on deck.
The cat solved that and still offered an incredible range and designed, as the FPB, for comfortable uphill travel which I hope we will benefit from in travelling between the PNW and Sea of Cortez seasonally.
High prismatic coefficient hull and good behavior beating to weather is what Malcom Tennant, the designer, was targeting, and like Dashew, did a good share of his work on sailing vessels. I think the result in this design is a hybrid between something like Beowulf and the FPB.
The entry forward is very fine (see photo) for slicing into head seas but then plenty of reserve buoyancy as you get above the waterline. The helmsman sits at the metacenter. Lots of rudder and twin propulsion spaced far apart should make downhill control pretty effective as well. Twin Simrad AP will help with that.
Her cruising groove is around 11kn and she burns just over 5 gph at that speed. I have seen video of her making 17kn into a 20kn wind on her nose and the ride appears to be quite comfortable. The top end of her recent sea trial was 24.5kn!
The tunnel design under the bridge deck is to prevent the slap in flatter designs and to create a pressurized air cushion as the vessel descends after topping a sea. The hulls have a canoe form aft. In a video of 12kn cruise, this combination resulted in zero bow wave and real flat and quiet behind her.
Given the strange times we live in, I had to make this leap remotely. Thus, there is a real chance I will be disappointed but given how much I have studied this, I don't expect that will be the case.
Quite the leap it is for sure. Her FRP build took me awhile to consider given what I currently drive and I have no experience with the motion in a multihull in this size range. But, given 65+ feet of boat travelling at these speeds and still over 2nmpg is something I needed to try.
Time will tell. I am excited to try and will get a pretty good chance on her 2200 nm trip home!

OK, but it has never been my experience that a multi-hull can go to weather like a monohull. I'm sure I'm going to be wrong about something here, but it's hard for me to imagine that this is going to be a great ocean crossing boat that doesn't depend heavily on using the trade winds. Please tell me what I'm missing. I totally agree with you about the lack of good outdoor hangout deck space, and interior comforts (especially bunks) in an ocean crossing monohull.

Back
Top Bottom