Not an FPB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations - I have been following and lusting after Domino for a while — I just could not get passed her layout— I wanted the second stateroom to be more substantial than the bunk arrangement she has ...

Some time back, there was a similar size Malcolm Tennent design for sale in Florida, but with a 3 cabin layout. I was offered by a sailing catamaran broker and, going by the listing information, quite comparable to Domino.
No idea, if it actually sold.

Congrats even from Italy, i was talking with Dominos owner some years ago and last year we started to seriously consider to fly over to see her.....good buy. Forget the staterooms and have space for you.....and travel..good season.

Congrats even from Italy, i was talking with Dominos owner some years ago and last year we started to seriously consider to fly over to see her.....good buy. Forget the staterooms and have space for you.....and travel..good season.

Grazie, cfr.
It has been interesting and somewhat reassuring to note how many folks have indicated that they had taken notice of this vessel, as we had.
This was a stretch for us, but some of the the decisions we have made in our business career have also been those off the beaten path and which were 'white knuckle' decisions. Hang on tight and go for it type of decisions.
Those have often turned out to be breakthroughs for us and we are hoping the decision to own Domino will be one of those.
Forty five days after holding my breath and signing this offer, I am feeling pretty good I think. Really looking forward to moving her North.

Bill, i did the same in my life. Buying a one off aluminium sailboat 12 years ago and quit my job at the age of 50 and selling my house....now i am sailing since 8 years and 6 month a year in greece and the Med and spending the winter in the Alps. A decison nobody arround us could understand or better nobody was able to take such decision. It is easier to wait for retirement and dream...

We moved from a 1 ton 24 ft nordic folkboat to a 16 ton 44 ft Alu Boat which was 30 years old and signing such big contract was a little bit scary..

you live only once ! and i learnt that staterooms are for friends who never come or friends who think they are on a cruiseship....

Being a German i have seen many of dutch boats like your zeeland kotter, nice, though a little bit slow but for europe and the small ports ok. I will look at artnautica, a vryburg 61 and maybe a cat but outside the Med a catamaran is maybe not the best option in europe. Lets see ! Normally the boat will find me and not the other way round

Carsten / southyrol / greece / hamburg

by the way there is a nice boat which like too: Kittwake like a bigger Nordhavn 62 in steel, very nice little ship. But impossible to get her to europe because of our stupid legislation to have a CE RCD compliant boat which means a clean engine with TIER cert

Does anybody else have some insight as to what a FPB is? I looked at a link provided earlier but did not discern an answer to the question.

The way i remember it, the story goes like this. Steve Dashew was a really good builder of sailing yachts, he wondered if he could build a power boat to rival his ocean crossing sail boats: he wanted to build a Functional Power Boat that would cross oceans safely as his sail boats did. He in my opinion did just that, You can read all about it on his web site SETSail FPB Dashew offshore.

Hauled just now in Guaymas.
Can you believe she floats on that??!

Its an interesting thing but really only come into their own at higher speeds so I was told.

When Malcolm was alive we spoke to him at length about the CS hullshape.
The advantage of course is fine waterline to length ratio
The disadvantage for us was draft (funny as we now draw 7.5ft)

Interestingly, he said if doing 12 knots or under in a 50 to 60fter the CS hullshape was really no better than a decent sailing cat hull shape, both offering similar wetted surface area but the sailing cat hull had more floor to walk being wider and offering less draft.
Of course above 12 knots is where the CS excels and the other starts to be "not as good"

His earlier power cats as well as the earlier French ones were modified sailing hulls.

Last edited:
Its an interesting thing but really only come into their own at higher speeds so I was told.

When Malcolm was alive we spoke to him at length about the CS hullshape.
The advantage of course is fine waterline to length ratio
The disadvantage for us was draft (funny as we now draw 7.5ft)

Interestingly, he said if doing 12 knots or under in a 50 to 60fter the CS hullshape was really no better than a decent sailing cat hull shape, both offering similar wetted surface area but the sailing cat hull had more floor to walk being wider and offering less draft.
Of course above 12 knots is where the CS excels and the other starts to be "not as good"

His earlier power cats as well as the earlier French ones were modified sailing hulls.

I think the POs really liked the sweet spot around 15.5 kn . That speed results in a just a little over 1 nmpg though, burning around 15 gph.

At around 10.6 kn it gets over 2 nmpg burning 5 gph total for the pair, so that hull form must be doing some good in that range as well. It feels to me like getting a 65 footer over 2 nmpg at that speed is pretty efficient. The mains are only running at 1100 rpm right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the POs really liked the sweet spot around 15.5 kn . That speed results in a just a little over 1 nmpg though, burning around 15 gph.

At around 10.6 kn it gets over 2 nmpg burning 5 gph total for the pair, so that hull form must be doing some good in that range as well. It feels to me like getting a 65 footer over 2 nmpg at that speed is pretty efficient. The mains are only running at 1100 rpm right there.

Curious how those speeds & efficiencies compare to your other two vessels. I agree that is pretty impressive for such a large vessel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious how those speeds & efficiencies compare to your other two vessels. I agree that is pretty impressive for such a large vessel.

The other two boats get around 1.7 and 1.9 nmg for Libra and Klee Wyck respectively, both running at around 7.8 kn. They only have one speed, as they were designed. I can push the throttle forward and burn more fuel, but that does not increase the speed. They are both very efficient hulls for the weight they can pack. Libra weighs around 135000#
The CS hull design on Domino is pretty impressive. It is just two displacement hulls with radically high L:B ratios. She weighs about half of Libra at half load.
I agree that where the CS hull designs shines is between 12 and 15 kn and the fact that she will do 24.

The CS hull design on Domino is pretty impressive. It is just two displacement hulls with radically high L:B ratios. She weighs about half of Libra at half load.
I agree that where the CS hull designs shines is between 12 and 15 kn and the fact that she will do 24.

Displaning was a description coined by Peter Brady, a designer who also uses a variant of tenants CS hull shape

Reasonable sort of description given the speed even though they don't actually get up on the plane.

The Team | Pacific Powercats

Actually, checking again they aren't really CS at all but still an interesting word.

29_4.jpg

Last edited:
I envy you SOOOO much. Literally sent an offer to Marie 2 days after you!! I should have bought her the month before when I started corresponding with her. Argh fate I guess.

I envy you SOOOO much. Literally sent an offer to Marie 2 days after you!! I should have bought her the month before when I started corresponding with her. Argh fate I guess.

There will be another. There always is. Just ask me!.:facepalm:

We are just jazzed about Domino and very much looking forward to getting aboard some time after closing tomorrow. I think this boat is very well conceived and we will look forward to learning about her as we get her underway.

Now I just need a vaccine so we can get this party started! Thankful for those who don't want one so that I can move up the line!! Can't happen soon enough.

Congratulations Klee Wyck on your sound purchase!
I first saw Domino in Las Hadas anchorage a couple of years ago. The view spurred me into researching her. I read virtually all the Domino blog as has many good insights. Also the reasoning for her design etc. Thought about buying her last year but wanted 3 cabins in the end.
On Christmas Day last year I woke up and made my coffee and went out on the balcony to enjoy it. Glanced over to the anchorage at Las Hadas and there was the unmistakable profile of the beautiful Domino! Tried to wish them Happy Christmas on their blog but could not get my comments to register on it.
Enjoy her!

Congratulations Klee Wyck on your sound purchase!
I first saw Domino in Las Hadas anchorage a couple of years ago. The view spurred me into researching her. I read virtually all the Domino blog as has many good insights. Also the reasoning for her design etc. Thought about buying her last year but wanted 3 cabins in the end.
On Christmas Day last year I woke up and made my coffee and went out on the balcony to enjoy it. Glanced over to the anchorage at Las Hadas and there was the unmistakable profile of the beautiful Domino! Tried to wish them Happy Christmas on their blog but could not get my comments to register on it.
Enjoy her!

I will look forward to some day returning to that very anchorage aboard Domino!

Closed!
Running docs just arrived. I guess we are officially the new owners of DOMINO now.

Attachments

• 150443139_10221938198022139_1336290051730950910_n.jpg
    150443139_10221938198022139_1336290051730950910_n.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 33
Woohoo! Congratulations! It's great that she'll be enjoyed by new owners with a whole new set of adventures.

Displaning was a description coined by Peter Brady, a designer who also uses a variant of tenants CS hull shape

Reasonable sort of description given the speed even though they don't actually get up on the plane.

The Team | Pacific Powercats

Actually, checking again they aren't really CS at all but still an interesting word.

Hey Simi, what actually constitutes CS compared to those Brady ones?

Would this be considered CS, or CS-like? (it's of the same era when Malcolm put it into his):
20190821_084748 v2.jpg

Closed!
Running docs just arrived. I guess we are officially the new owners of DOMINO now.

Congrats! You must be over the moon.

So does that mean you are now the owners of 160’ of boat? Is that a TF record?

:dance:

Congrats! You must be over the moon.

So does that mean you are now the owners of 160’ of boat? Is that a TF record?

:dance:

OUCH.....! You are not the first one to remind me of that today as it happens.
I am being advised quite sternly to cure that little issue.

Back
Top Bottom