NorthernLights sound box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iggy

Guru
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 40
I have a 5.5K genset with the foam rubber needing replacement. I called NorthernLights and there is no replacement. Has anyone had this problem and found a replacement foam rubber? Thanks!

Go with 2lb MLV, not the 1LB. Even though its rating is 35db, I realized about 18db noise reduction and it was not a 100% installation. Likely that would yield one or two db more.

The typically available 1" 1lb vinyl/foam composite insulation will provide an upgrade from the factory insulation, cuts easily, is available with peel and stick for easy installation, and because it is faced will outlast OEM foam.

Just Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) will work, but not as well as Mass Loaded Vinyl sandwiched between an absorber layer and a decoupler layer like what comes in a vinyl/foam composite.

Like Mako says, 2lb vinyl will technically work better, but the air intake penetration in the enclosure creates the baseline for noise on a small genset. Better insulation than 1" 1lb on the enclosure will work better, but 3 ft away you will not notice the difference over 1lb because of the intake penetration. Also 2lb makes the panels heavy, and will call for mechanical fasteners if used in a vinyl/foam composite, or epoxy (or similar) as an adhesive. It weighs 2 lb per sq ft.

:socool:

Attachments

• insulation.JPG
    insulation.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 11
I didn’t use the commercial foam/ MLV sandwich material like @KD mentioned, because of budget.
But I did not use epoxy, instead used 5200 equivalent. It has flex to it and adds a small amount of decoupling, although not as much as the foam of course.

Back
Top Bottom