Old 02-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #21
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.
It all depends on whose money you're using.

B&B you're right and thanks for the research and info.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Read the RV forums about how Lemonis has destroyed CampingWorld. High pressure sales, abysmal service, untrained workers, etc.......

Sounds like the RV industry at large. Itís been years since I did business with CW but their leadership was fair with us. Iíve not experienced them on the consumer sales side other than through CW retail stores.

Bummer if things have changed.

Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:04 PM   #23

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
Someone with more money than sense will be swooned by the fresh smell of formaldehyde, chrome and gel coat. 🤩

They will sadly not research the history discussed here and for all we know, we will be reading about another NM ďstoryĒ in a couple of years about another unhappy ending.

I will admit this, she sure does photograph well. Reminds me of all the airbrushing that PB used to do back in the day. Never forget the first time I met a playmate in person. 😳. NOT what that young boy saw in print as the centerfold!
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #24

City: ST. James
Vessel Model: Northern Marine 57
To set the record straight.
I am the owner of North Ocean Yachts, dba Northern Marine since January of this year
I contracted the build of the 57, Agave, in June of 2015 from Gilbert Villarreal, principal of Concorde Marine dba Northern Marine. The reason I chose to go this route is that I have known the Stuart Archer, the marine architect of most of the trawler line for Northern Marine, and Manager of Operations for Northern since 2004.
By the time Agave was completed it was apparent that Mr . Villarreal had no interest in the building Trawlers and he let the assets revert back to the founder of Northern Marine, from whom I purchased them outright. Stuart Archer is with me in this venture, we set up a new factory with many of the key former employees from the heyday of Northern Marine.
I invite anyone with any questions to call, email or visit us at the factory or at the Palm Beach Boat Show this weekend.
Jayb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Hopeful success JB. NM's have been a well thought out boat in the past. It is nice to see the brand re-born. Any particular boat size or model you are concentrating on?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #26

Northern Marine is now only building custom trawlers in the 50 to 100 feet.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayb100 View Post
I contracted the build of the 57, Agave, in June of 2015 from Gilbert Villarreal, principal of Concorde Marine dba Northern Marine. The reason I chose to go this route is that I have known the Stuart Archer, the marine architect of most of the trawler line for Northern Marine, and Manager of Operations for Northern since 2004.

Stuart Archer is with me in this venture, we set up a new factory with many of the key former employees from the heyday of Northern Marine.
So, many of those involved with the last two failures of Northern Marine are still involved, including those there as they falsified billings, per their depositions? I assume Bud still owns the name? Does he have any other involvement?

Your refer to the heyday of Northern Marine. That would be 2006 and prior I'd assume that you're referring to?

Do you have any of their old molds?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #28

My intention is to show off the product in boat shows. I prefer not to sell Agave, but if it sold I would rebuild the same boat for myself again.

Bud no longer owns the name. North Ocean Yachts owns the name.

When I mentioned heyday, I was referring to the peak of the trawler production, 1995 through 2005.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayb100 View Post
My intention is to show off the product in boat shows. I prefer not to sell Agave, but if it sold I would rebuild the same boat for myself again.

Bud no longer owns the name. North Ocean Yachts owns the name.

When I mentioned heyday, I was referring to the peak of the trawler production, 1995 through 2005.
So any builds in progress?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #30

Just getting the new factory set up and starting a new 57.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #31
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome Jayb100. I wish you success in your venture.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #32

City: Anacortes
It is always interesting to read comments from people who sound like they know the facts on a given subject but in fact know very little about it. The original Northern Marine that was started in 1995 was a fairly large boat building company with 330 employees at their height and an average of 180 employees for several years. Not a $2 million dollar a year company when selling 5 boats a year averaging close to $3 million a piece until later when they were closer to $20 million each and still doing several boats a year. Occupying over 100,000 square feet of buildings it was not a small business.
BoatBoay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #33

Bud is not a part of the operations of any of the past businesses
Old 03-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatBoay View Post
It is always interesting to read comments from people who sound like they know the facts on a given subject but in fact know very little about it. The original Northern Marine that was started in 1995 was a fairly large boat building company with 330 employees at their height and an average of 180 employees for several years. Not a $2 million dollar a year company when selling 5 boats a year averaging close to $3 million a piece until later when they were closer to $20 million each and still doing several boats a year. Occupying over 100,000 square feet of buildings it was not a small business.
I admit to not knowing the ancient history. Just know the sale, bankruptcy, resale, bankruptcy, resale, resale of the last 10 years or so. That's the relevant history, a company averaging through all that less than 2 boats a year and dwindling to one small building and fewer than 50 employees before finding themselves upside down and in the water. I'm not going to discuss inside details here on a public forum.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #35
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Bud is not a part of the operations of any of the past businesses
This sentence doesn't really make sense? You are mixing tenses. What are you trying to say?
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #36

you actually don't know the real history, just what you want to think that you know. living here in Anacortes and knowing all of the real players, i know the history. i wish the new venture well as i do with all new ventures.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #37

Sorry, never the best in English class. Meant to say that Bud was not a part of the ventures after his original sale in 2006.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #38

Seems thereís a Ďtude on the forum....
chriscritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #39
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
you actually don't know the real history, just what you want to think that you know. living here in Anacortes and knowing all of the real players, i know the history. i wish the new venture well as i do with all new ventures.

Welcome BoatBoay

As I mentioned before, I wish the new venture well. However, I donít know the history of the company, the company name, or the folks involved. I also donít frankly care . I am also not among those that can actually afford any of the boats they may produce, although I wish I was.

I do understand some of the issues behind running a small business. I deal with those daily (btw, anyone want to loan me $500k on a building I am upside down on? I am good for the loan. I promise).

However, folks here either know who I am, or can easily find out. I am very happy to have another Washingtonian join TF and welcome you. However, it is hard to give proper credence to your assertions on this matter unless we know how you know the players, the history, and the current situation in the company.

I am happy to see a new boat builder on the scene. I wish them success and really would enjoy seeing some very nice yachts on the water. I hope the investors are financially successful. I assume that potential buyers who can afford these new boats are also financially savvy enough to ensure their interests are protected.

So... while the viability of a new company and the veracity and abilities of the individuals involved is definitely germane to the interests of the TF community, it probably isnít worth a big argument.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #40
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
We probably should have gone aboard Agave yesterday at the Palm Beach Boat Show but instead went aboard our new favorite next door, the Kadey Krogen 50 Open. I mentioned the Baaden incident to Michelle and a guy walked over and tried to gloss over the accident which didn't sit right... I read the reports that were public but living on the opposite end of the continent, I had no first hand knowledge. I did wonder why someone would try to revive Northern Marine after such a public image problem. It did look good from the outside, hulls fair and quality of workmanship seemed good. But I didn't go aboard.

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote