North West Passage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No interbreeding? I've been to the CGStation Kodiak for a couple flight safety conferences. Looked like a pretty "closed ecosystem" to me. :socool:

What happens in Kodiak, stays in Kodiak...

Don't feed the troll

Attachments

• Trolls.JPG
    Trolls.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 20
I have worked in many of the villages along the arctic coast.

I have wonderful memories of seeing my first wild polar bear, and talking whaling with village elders.

The history and the people are incredible.

One of my favorite books is "North into the Night" by Alvah Simon. He had a very enlightening and spiritual experience getting stuck in the artic ice for an entire season. On purpose!

He's already said two or three times he's not going. Too many permits ("30-40"), Canada is a nuisance, pesky natives, etc.

Thread goal now seems to be baiting people to provide him info (that he's not going to use) in the name of "proving" things to him. (His iPad is apparently on the fritz so he can't check himself.)

Plus some scattered insults about "woke" people and "rascist" attitudes.

:popcorn:

Wrong..never said pesky natives..just that we didn't plan to party with them.......that's different right?

One of my favorite books is "North into the Night" by Alvah Simon. He had a very enlightening and spiritual experience getting stuck in the artic ice for an entire season. On purpose!

I remember that as a great one too! Not that the author needed any "help," but it didn't hurt that I was reading it on a long, roasting hot, rolly passage that was to the "can we be done?!" stage. Being frozen in and totally still sounded almost appealing (although I don't have what it takes to do it - not even close).

Wrong..never said pesky natives..just that we didn't plan to party with them.......that's different right?
Umm.... You kind of did. #26

"And if its teue that one has to get licences from eskimos to sail an international waterway....thats tantamount to a shakedown by pirates...so will avoid that area."

Notice how he avoids the issue that I mentioned fuel in Greenland ports back before the posts he started zeroing on about Maine and fuel?

I wonder why? Not really.....:D

Notice how he avoids the issue that I mentioned fuel in Greenland ports back before the posts he started zeroing on about Maine and fuel?

He avoids a lot of issues. Always pivots back to "go do my research for me - prove me wrong."

What time does the Down Under crowd come on shift? They did a pretty good job keeping this going last night.

He avoids a lot of issues. Always pivots back to "go do my research for me - prove me wrong."

What time does the Down Under crowd come on shift? They did a pretty good job keeping this going last night.

Probably right....maybe he got the idea from fuel north of Maine from my post.

That would be really embarrassing then to challenge others the way he did. :popcorn:

So what is the deal with fuel north of Maine? I've spent quite a bit of time in the maritimes (ferry from Maine, then drive) . There are fishing boats all over. There has to be diesel pretty readily available. May not be cheap, but it is available I would suppose.

Speaking of names we use, let's see if I can take this sideways for a bit.

AK Prof, settle a debate for me. Is the most common AK term, "brown" or "grizzly" and do you know the ratio of the two?

Murray, how about up your way, same question.

We have five colour variations to black bears here; black, brown, cinnamon, white (spirit bear) and a bit north of us there is a blue (glacier bear) so grizzlies are grizzlies to avoid confusion more than anything, I think.

Now let's see if I remember how to do this...

1) Go to top of thread

2) click on "Thread Tools"

3) click on "Ignore Thread"

4) Ahhh...it's like that satisfying feeling when you finally kill the annoying mosquito that's been buzzing in the tent 1/2 the night :D

Last edited:

Ill tell you why I mentioned Maine. Its because some guy said he didnt know if there was any fuel available north of Maine, nor would he believe me when I told him there is indeed. I also asked if any of you guys knew, and would corroborate me on that point. So if you said there is fuel in Greenland, that does corroborate. I wonder if that guy believes you.

Last edited:
Sure about that Baffin Isl to Greenland distance....my guess would be a couple hundred to 500 depending where to where?

It depends on whether you go clockwise or counter clockwise around Baffin Is. I was using Goggle Maps and they label the passage to the south west of the island as Northwest Passages, so I went that way.

If you right click anywhere on google maps and then choose "measure distsance" then click anywhere else it will draw a line and tell you the distance. like in the picture below.

Attachments

• NWP.png
    NWP.png
    160 KB · Views: 17
It depends on whether you go clockwise or counter clockwise around Baffin Is. I was using Goggle Maps and they label the passage to the south west of the island as Northwest Passages, so I went that way.

If you right click anywhere on google maps and then choose "measure distsance" then click anywhere else it will draw a line and tell you the distance. like in the picture below.

Thanks, will try that, if it works on my tablet. When i looked it up, they said from that top point marked, to the Beaufort Sea, is 900 mi.

With all deference to the Encyclopedia Britannica, in 20 years of Alaska living, and several visits before and since, including ten years of working for the state government, I can't recall anyone using the term "Eskimo", except perhaps for some ill-informed Gussuk from "Outside", who would have been soon corrected.

Native Alaskan is the common generic term, and knowledgeable Alaskans will use the ethno-geographic specific, such as Aleut, Tlingit, Inupiat, etc.

...and Inuit is a Canadian term.

The only interchange I've had with a native Alaskan is from Bethel, Alaska. I only referred to her by her first name, "Molly."

No need, I already did. From the top of Baffin Island, to the Beaufort Sea, the NWP, its 900 milies. You remind me pf the guy who doesnt know, or believe me, that you can buy fuel north of Maine. Do you believe me on that poinr?

Here is the magical 900 mile number that you are foolishly clinging too. I am very sure you can not get fuel at the start or end of that line, so the number is useless.

Attachments

• NWP2.jpg
    NWP2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 21
Ill tell you why I mentioned Maine. Its because some guy said he didnt know if there was any fuel available north of Maine, nor would he believe me when I told him there is indeed. I also asked if any of you guys knew, and would corroborate me on that point. So if you said there is fuel in Greenland, that does corroborate. I wonder if that guy believes you.
I don't recall anyone saying there isn't fuel on Greenland. Psneeld posted a macro map and said it was a long distance, to which you said "of course there's fuel." but I don't think anyone questioned whether there was diesel I. Greenland. Or anywhere else. Why do you keep accusing people of weird stuff? Odd behavior.

If you're coming from the US, why go to Greenland at all? Why not just skirt around Newfoundland?

Here is the magical 900 mile number that you are foolishly clinging too. I am very sure you can not get fuel at the start or end of that line, so the number is useless.
This is where the thread could get informative. I'd guess that northerly route is exposed to ice pack. My fuzzy memory suggests people transit a more circuitous route as I've penciled in (no idea if this is feasible, just a sketch). I'd be curious to now the routes people have taken.

Screenshot_20210227-185404.jpeg

How does stating fuel in Greenland not agree there is fuel North of Maine? In my world of navigation....passing the west coast of Greenland on the way to the Northwest passage would qualify in my book.

I don't sound like you and I have been off the coast of Greenland, so hopefully he believes me.

This is where the thread could get informative. I'd guess that northerly route is exposed to ice pack. My fuzzy memory suggests people transit a more circuitous route as I've penciled in (no idea if this is feasible, just a sketch). I'd be curious to now the routes people have taken.

View attachment 114961

I mentioned Greenland ports as kickoff points for fuel and provisioning because of the no stops in Canada dream.

This is where he proved a lot by saying my saying fuel ports in Greenland doesn't corroborate his saying he knew you could get fuel north of Maine.. For one of the times he had someone/ something to back him up and he wants to be so antagonistic he keeps right on going.

Newsflash: distances...I actually got the Google maps distance function to work, and indeed, about 900 miles from the top of Baffin ISland to the Beaufort Sea. Just as a few sites said. I also checked from that same point to the nearest coast on Greenland...about 250 miles. So that other guy was wrong on that too.

I mentioned Greenland ports as kickoff points for fuel and provisioning because of the no stops in Canada dream.

This is where he proved a lot by saying my saying fuel ports in Greenland doesn't corroborate his saying he knew you could get fuel north of Maine.. For one of the times he had someone/ something to back him up and he wants to be so antagonistic he keeps right on going.
Thanks. Odd tangent.

But this is what I was getting at up thread. Logistics-wise, this is an interesting passage. Go too far north and ice will pack you in. There are charts for this.

Maybe a different lifetime on a thread.

BTW, the documentary I posted noted about a half dozen boats doing the passage in 2019. All were sailboats.

Peter

Are you the guy who said he didnt know if you could get fuel north of Maine, and didnt believe me when I said you could? Its a yes/no question. I couldnt even understand your message.

Newsflash: distances...I actually got the Google maps distance function to work, and indeed, about 900 miles from the top of Baffin ISland to the Beaufort Sea. Just as a few sites said. I also checked from that same point to the nearest coast on Greenland...about 250 miles. So that other guy was wrong on that too.
How far down is the ice pack in July/August? That may be the shortest route, but can it be transited by even a robust plated yacht?

Our "David" is a very well fed troll. It looks like a 'How far can I go before Site Team really intervene?" game. A long way it seems. Very amusing diverting stuff.

Are you the guy who said he didnt know if you could get fuel north of Maine, and didnt believe me when I said you could? Its a yes/no question. I couldnt even understand your message.
Yes or no question for the 100th time. Ever owned a boat before?

Our "David" is a very well fed troll. It looks like a 'How far can I go before Site Team really intervene?" game. A long way it seems. Very amusing diverting stuff.

Looks like theyre ok with that name calling and ad hominems.

Why are you fixated on getting fuel north of Maine, if your boat has a range of 4000 nm?

Is it because you planning of leaving from your home in Niagara Falls or the Dominican Republic?

:popcorn:

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom