North West Passage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So....safer in convoy...

Not necessarily...you or another boat/captain may be seen as a liability and not be welcome.

When will you be purchasing your boat?

What boat do you have now?

Not necessarily...you or another boat/captain may be seen as a liability and not be welcome.

When will you be purchasing your boat?

What boat do you have now?

Convoys are common. Those who dont want to join can go on their own. When buying? Maybe May 15th, or August 24th, or another date.

...When buying? Maybe May 15th, or August 24th, or another date.

That should give you enough time to finish up your research instead of spinning your wheels in an online forum. Self-reliance would be critical on such a trip.

That should give you enough time to finish up your research instead of spinning your wheels in an online forum. Self-reliance would be critical on such a trip.

Good point, online forums arent too useful, certainly not this thread. Did you see where somebody though I said i would shoot an eskimo if it boarded the boat? How ridiculous was that? Wait a minute...that wasnt you, was it?

Wasn't the once-favored cartridges of "Eskimos" was the 22-calibre Hornet, the smallest center-fired round?
Is it safe to assume Mark, that when travelling past these blue pins on your lofty Alaska cruiser balcony, you move to the opposite side of the ship?

Attachments

• FN BC .jpg
    FN BC .jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 21
Is the ignore button overheating yet?
I ignored David Ess for a while. Truth is I missed him. He's such an easy mark. I suppose it's wasted energy, but my boat is still in the yard and I've gone through YW a dozen times this year already. He's a decent boat fix.

Slow news day I guess. Can't wait to see what's next.

Peter

I ignored David Ess for a while. Truth is I missed him. He's such an easy mark. I suppose it's wasted energy, but my boat is still in the yard and I've gone through YW a dozen times this year already. He's a decent boat fix.

Slow news day I guess. Can't wait to see what's next.

Peter

Ahhhhh, "an easy mark". Thanks for admitting youre out to 'bait' people. I thought that was against the rules...guess not. Hope I recognize your name in future....so I can give you the attention you deserve.......ignore you with the rest.

Ahhhhh, "an easy mark". Thanks for admitting youre out to 'bait' people. I thought that was against the rules...guess not. Hope I recognize your name in future....so I can give you the attention you deserve.......ignore you with the rest.
Here's the rub David. You can control how you send a message, but can't control how it's received. Wanna control a thread? Good luck. I recently monitored a thread on CF where someone joined and their first post was "I have $1m. What boat should I buy?" The thread went viral for a few days without a peep from the OP. Lo and behold they show up around post 150 and post their second-ever post to complain about the negative comments "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all." How quaint. Thread is off an running again.

As a reminder. Name is Peter. Boat is Weebles. Feel free to ignore me - here's how. If you're on your phone, click on my name. There should be three dots in top right corner. Click on them and there will be an option to ignore.

Peter

Last edited:
Still wondering about what boat you have now or what experience you have that makes this trip possible? Might go a ways to establishing street cred amongst some of us heathens.

The OP doesn't plan to meet or talk to any "eskimos," so I guess that won't matter. Perhaps it's for the best.

I have worked in many of the villages along the arctic coast.

I have wonderful memories of seeing my first wild polar bear, and talking whaling with village elders.

The history and the people are incredible.

Still wondering about what boat you have now or what experience you have that makes this trip possible? Might go a ways to establishing street cred amongst some of us heathens.

"Streets creds"? Amongst others who havnt done that transit? What if I have had the exact boat that others have had , at some point in their lives, before they got the appropriate boat for that transit? What if ALL guys who have done that transit admit that earlier in their lives they didnt yet have any boat?

No, rather...polar bears. What would you do if a bear boarded your boat while transiting the NW passage

While transiting Canadian waters (I know what you think, but the Canadians will get the last word ), you might want to see how they regulate personal firearms.

While transiting Canadian waters (I know what you think, but the Canadians will get the last word ), you might want to see how they regulate personal firearms.

Do they call flare guns and spear guns as ....firearms? Tell us how they regulate them.

Good point, online forums arent too useful, certainly not this thread. Did you see where somebody though I said i would shoot an eskimo if it boarded the boat? How ridiculous was that? Wait a minute...that wasnt you, was it?

Did you really just refer to the indigenous people as an "it"? :rolleyes:

Thanks and so far we know this: its only about a 900 mile passage, and our boat will likely get 4000mi. Passage onle takes a few weeks, but we'll take a few months supplies.

So have you settled on the boat for this expedition?

900 miles?
From the Diomede Islands, at the north edge of the Bearing Sea and through the Canadian arctic archipelago that is considered to be the Northwest Passage, to the south end of Greenland, is about 3000 nautical miles. Where does this 900 mile distance come from?

900 miles?
From the Diomede Islands, at the north edge of the Bearing Sea and through the Canadian arctic archipelago that is considered to be the Northwest Passage, to the south end of Greenland, is about 3000 nautical miles. Where does this 900 mile distance come from?

"The*Northwest Passage*spans roughly 900 miles from the North Atlantic north of Canada's Baffin Island in the east to the Beaufort Sea north of the U.S. state of Alaska in the west.Feb 22, 2018"

True civilization to civilization across the NWP is about 3500 NM.
Shooting a polar bear with a spear gun or flare is laughable
The OP has a writing style and attitude of a 10 yr old
He obviously doesnt know anything about boats
The NWP is through CANADA
If he knew how to read a chart he would know how far it is.

HOLLYWOOD

Last edited:
"Streets creds"? Amongst others who havnt done that transit? What if I have had the exact boat that others have had , at some point in their lives, before they got the appropriate boat for that transit? What if ALL guys who have done that transit admit that earlier in their lives they didnt yet have any boat?

Right.

I think if you really wanted help, you'd let us know where you are on the learning/experience curve.

Lots of people here, even if they haven't done the Northwest Passage, do have valuable information to share...with anyone who isn't looking down his nose at them from a horse on high.

Really am curious though...do you already have the boating knowledge/experience for this trip, and if not, what are your plans for acquiring it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom