North West Passage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he planning to shoot flares at Eskimos if they try to board??
Flares or spear guns, through the armored port holes. I'm sure they are easily confused with pirates.

Flares or spear guns, through the armored port holes. I'm sure they are easily confused with pirates.

Wrong....you missed a lot too. You wont find any quote where I said to shoot anybody. I challenge you to try.

Greetings,
Mr. DE. You might want to brush up on your cultural sensitivity, as well. In Canada, the "e" word is considered a racial slur, akin to the "n" word. Proper term is Inuit or Yupik (western Arctic). Thank you.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. DE. You might want to brush up on your cultural sensitivity, as well. In Canada, the "e" word is considered a racial slur, akin to the "n" word. Proper term is Inuit or Yupik (western Arctic). Thank you.

Sorry if Im not 'woke' enough for you. We're old and dont care about PC crap. Indeed, we dont even want to go to Canada, but transit an international waterway.

Greetings,
Thank you for this. I did not know that this was considered a slur.

I used the term in response to another thread and now wish I had not.

Peter

You seem to know what the short transit times are, but do you know the average time?

Another question might be; did those short transit times have anything to do with lucking out and snuggling up behind an icebreaker that was going their way for a while?

You seem to know what the short transit times are, but do you know the average time?

Another question might be; did those short transit times have anything to do with lucking out and snuggling up behind an icebreaker that was going their way for a while?

Yes, I looked it up and mentioned it...I think it was 3weeks, and the length only 900 miles. What did you get? And the boat we would get will have a waaaaay greater range.
Regarding going in convoys with other ships, that would be a good idea, right?

Oh, so you don't even have the boat yet. Got a timeline?

...Regarding going in convoys with other ships, that would be a good idea, right?

Could be waiting for a while, don't you think? Pretty sure there isn't a traffic congestion problem up there.

Oh, so you don't even have the boat yet. Got a timeline?

Could be waiting for a while, don't you think? Pretty sure there isn't a traffic congestion problem up there.

Somebody already mentioned it, and ive read it happens. So IF some other boat, especially a big one is going thru, do you think it a good idea to convoy
BTW,what did you get for average transit time?

Last edited:
Somebody already mentioned it, and ive read it happens. So IF some other boat, especially a big one is going thru, do you think it a good idea to convoy?

Well, my objective wouldn't be to skidaddle through quickly, it would be to explore the landscape, waterways, and settlements so would be taking a meandering path.

I'd follow larger icebreaking ships if they were going my way or if by doing so helped avoid being trapped some place I didn't want to be for an extended period of time.

Timeline for boat purchase?

Well, my objective wouldn't be to skidaddle through quickly, it would be to explore the landscape, waterways, and settlements so would be taking a meandering path.

I'd follow larger icebreaking ships if they were going my way or if by doing so helped avoid being trapped some place I didn't want to be for an extended period of time.

Timeline for boat purchase?

So....safer in convoy..and we would just go straight thru. Timeline is open, but as isaid , if the burocracy is too onerous, like 30 or 40 permits, we wouldnt even bother. Butvnobody here is up to date on that.

...if the burocracy is too onerous, like 30 or 40 permits, we wouldnt even bother. Butvnobody here is up to date on that.

I believe member "Spinner," up-thread, is up to date. There are no permits required this year because through travel is closed due to COVID. It's not really possible to be "up to date" on future years; and past years are obviously out of date, which you don't want.

I believe member "Spinner," up-thread, is up to date. There are no permits required this year because through travel is closed due to COVID. It's not really possible to be "up to date" on future years; and past years are obviously out of date, which you don't want.

Didnt see that message. But funny if more than 2 weeks quarentined on a boat would worry anybody. But thats mass hysteria for you.

Wasn't the once-favored cartridges of "Eskimos" was the 22-calibre Hornet, the smallest center-fired round?

Don't know , but that was a frivolous comment anyway from him. . My comment about shooting thru portholes was at....polar bears. I asked what others would do, but nobody will tell me.

Didnt see that message. But funny if more than 2 weeks quarentined on a boat would worry anybody. But thats mass hysteria for you.

Well of course it's a hoax anyway, but it might not be all about the transiting boater. Say a person in Village A has COVID. A boater comes in contact with that person (either intentionally, or if it were you, unintentionally). Then they end up stopping in Village C (medical issue of senior citizen boater, say, or unforeseen boat issue).

Say the chance is one in 100,000. Why should they take that chance? What do they gain by the boater coming through?

Another concern: What if someone were to fib about the two weeks. Not you, but another boater who considered the whole thing to just be over-reacting. That person might scoff at masks, be asymptomatic, and then... COVID is a cat you can't easily put back in the bag, and they gain nothing from taking a chance with pleasure boaters. It's not like they are going to be making money off of through boaters stopping at their many resorts (that don't exist), so they have nothing to gain and everything to lose, IMO.

I'm sympathetic in that I had planned to be boating in leisurely fashion up the Inside Passage last year (tame compared to you, but we are not all that advanced). Am I bummed that I can't do that last year -- or this year? Yes. Do I blame them? Not one bit. Smart them, I say. I'll go back when I'm welcome.

Well of course it's a hoax anyway, but it might not be all about the transiting boater. Say a person in Village A has COVID. A boater comes in contact with that person (either intentionally, or if it were you, unintentionally). Then they end up stopping in Village C (medical issue of senior citizen boater, say, or unforeseen boat issue).

Say the chance is one in 100,000. Why should they take that chance? What do they gain by the boater coming through?

Another concern: What if someone were to fib about the two weeks. Not you, but another boater who considered the whole thing to just be over-reacting. That person might scoff at masks, be asymptomatic, and then... COVID is a cat you can't easily put back in the bag, and they gain nothing from taking a chance with pleasure boaters. It's not like they are going to be making money off of through boaters stopping at their many resorts (that don't exist), so they have nothing to gain and everything to lose, IMO.

I'm sympathetic in that I had planned to be boating in leisurely fashion up the Inside Passage last year (tame compared to you, but we are not all that advanced). Am I bummed that I can't do that last year -- or this year? Yes. Do I blame them? Not one bit. Smart them, I say. I'll go back when I'm welcome.

Fair enough, and I had said we would blow off the whoke place if too onerous for any reason, especially 30 to 40 permits/licences.

Greetings,
:thumb:
I was hoping someone would pick up on the "e" word before I got to the end of the thread. I mightn't have been as polite as you.

Damn DE, you are relentless. You apparently have big plans to go to far off distant lands. All good, but keyboard talk is cheap. I don't think posting here all day long and sparring with people is going to get that done. Do your due diligence, keep reading, ask questions, take some boating lessons, and then eventually chartering boats on your own is a good way to start the process.

Thank you for this. I did not know that this was considered a slur.
I used the term in response to another thread and now wish I had not.
Not knowing and being humble in response to knowledge, is a century away from not wanting to visit Canada and it's PC crap.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I enjoy it when someone asks a question then argues and dismisses every answer.
Why bother?

Fair enough, and I had said we would blow off the whoke place if too onerous for any reason, especially 30 to 40 permits/licences.

I don't think the southern ocean has any rules (does it?). That would allow for a circumnavigation via the great capes and would make good use of your boat's high latitude features.

Damn DE, you are relentless. You apparently have big plans to go to far off distant lands. All good, but keyboard talk is cheap. I don't think posting here all day long and sparring with people is going to get that done. Do your due diligence, keep reading, ask questions, take some boating lessons, and then eventually chartering boats on your own is a good way to start the process.

Quite right, and im resolved that for my next OP ill only respond to seious comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom