North West Passage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am extremely familiar with the Alaska portion of this.

Be prepared for

No ports
No fueling facilities

Very limited provisioning facilities with zero marine parts availability unless flown in.

Very limited rescue ability.

Great people, great little villages, great wildlife.

Be prepared for

No ports
No fueling facilities

Very limited provisioning facilities with zero marine parts availability unless flown in.

Very limited rescue ability.

Great people, great little villages, great wildlife.

Thanks and so far we know this: its only about a 900 mile passage, and our boat will likely get 4000mi. Passage onle takes a few weeks, but we'll take a few months supplies.

Wrong...the route your map shows , over Greenland, is NOT the NW passage. Look it up , even on wikipedia. They also mention how not only does the US, Russia and China say its internationsl, but also some european countries.

Boy, you like to lead with your chin.

The route shown, I believe, indicates the route if you didn't want to go through Canada. The NW passage is and has always been in Canada.

Lots of people can say stuff...hey I'm 32 and a hunk! Look out ladies!

Boy, you like to lead with your chin.

The route shown, I believe, indicates the route if you didn't want to go through Canada. The NW passage is and has always been in Canada.

Lots of people can say stuff...hey I'm 32 and a hunk! Look out ladies!

The route you show is one that is NEVER shown as the NWPassage. Rather , they show up the WEST coast of Greenkand, and tirn left at Baffin island. And its considered an international, free transit waterway by the US and a bunch of other countries.

I hope you aren't in real life how you're coming across online.

Adventurers who plan to dominate and or subdue the environment they plan to transit while belittling or disregarding those who have lived there for thousands of years seldom succeed without epic tales of hardship.

Will be watching your progress...

We know there can be a lot of fog.......butvmost boats dont even take a month to go thru. We just read of one yacht that did it in 19 days. Polar bears? Apparently they dontblike boarding boats with guys firing their flare guns at them.

Oh...I know polar bears well enough....been up close and personal on several occasions.... :D

We just happened to shorten this guys dinner....:eek:

He pulled this 1500lb walrus out of a breathing hole and drug it hundreds of yards over a 20 high ice ridge. I have heard them banging on the side of a 400" icebreaker. Can't say they would board a small yacht...but I know they are mean and do pretty much whatever they want.... :D

Attachments

• nz.jpg
    nz.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 29
  • oa.jpg
    oa.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Also...it’s ‘Northwest Passage’

Adventurers who plan to dominate and or subdue the environment they plan to transit while belittling or disregarding those who have lived there for thousands of years seldom succeed without epic tales of hardship.

We dont mean to...dominate...or...subdue...anything. But we might do what a few yachts do every year....spend a few weeks transitting the 900 mile NW passage. Some dont even step on land, but just sail thru, in about 3 or 4 weeks .

Thanks and so far we know this: its only about a 900 mile passage, and our boat will likely get 4000mi. Passage onle takes a few weeks, but we'll take a few months supplies.

Don't worry about taking extra supplies. There's excellent snipe hunting up there.

What boat are we talking?

Peter

PS - the video I linked has several scenes showing the crew hiking with rifles slung over their shoulders. Apparently, Polar Bears consider RIBs a delicacy. You may want to coat the tubes with bacon grease to hide the scent of hypalon.

Oh...I know polar bears well enough....been up close and personal on several occasions.... :D

We just happened to shorten this guys dinner....:eek:

He pulled this 1500lb walrus out of a breathing hole and drug it hundreds of yards over a 20 high ice ridge. I have heard them banging on the side of a 400" icebreaker. Can't say they would board a small yacht...but I know they are mean and do pretty much whatever they want.... :D

Thanks, we know what polar bears are, and neither have we heard of ANY, EVER, boarding yachts. What do you think they would do if several guys, 4, kept shooting flares at them, and the spear guns?

Don't worry about taking extra supplies. There's excellent snipe hunting up there.

Peter

PS - the video I linked has several scenes showing the crew hiking with rifles slung over their shoulders. Apparently, Polar Bears consider RIBs a delicacy. You may want to coat the tubes with bacon grease to hide the scent of hypalon.

Supposedly they also like leather snowmobile seats..... heard that story a couple times.....:D

Peter

One of the boats we're considering is a Dershwin FPB 64..range...."Top Speed 10.5 knots
Approximate Range 9.0 knots – 6400 NM
9.5 knots – 5500 NM" . Should be ok for 900 miles, right?

Supposedly they also like leather snowmobile seats..... heard that story a couple times.....:D

"Ribs and snowmobile seats" And that after saying we likely wouldnt even set foot on land...or ice? Get back to me...but only if you have any serious comments.

"Ribs and snowmobile seats" And that after saying we likely wouldnt even set foot on land...or ice? Get back to me...but only if you have any serious comments.

Wasn't directed at you anyway.

But because you continue.... there are many examples of bears trying to board boats and ships..... and yes they were all successfully scared of before any injuries. So no worries.

As far as setting foot on land...my readings include bears swimming to the boat or when it was in ice, not on land.....so don't get cocky....I have actually been in the Arctic, 3 times, heck I almost had to survive there when my helo broke on the ice not far from the pole.

But I will back off as you seem to know it all and don't like a little fun in your threads. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There are current Canadian regulations prohibiting foreign pleasure craft from Canadian Arctic waters.... look it up!

Wrong...the route your map shows , over Greenland, is NOT the NW passage. Look it up , even on wikipedia. They also mention how not only does the US, Russia and China say its internationsl, but also some european countries.
No sir I did not say that is the NW Passage. I said that is a route you could take to avoid Canadian waters. The typical NW Passage route goes through Canadian waters.

The reason my imaginary route goes over Greenland is to avoid Canadian waters.

Once again, the international dispute is over the waters north of Canada's internationally recognized borders up to and including the north pole.

Attachments

• Canada again.gif
    Canada again.gif
    103.1 KB · Views: 26

Well said Murray. A little reading might open up Ess's eyes. The history of northern exploration can be read as a documentation of arrogance and ignorance.
Franklin was just one of many.

The whole world has been overrun, probably several times, by aggressors.

Few if any races/countries have a past free of arrogance and ignorance and many used violence to accoplish.

None of it was right by today's standards..... today's standards.

Recreational boats are the least of the problems for many distressed peoples of the world.

Having been to that part of the world, I truly appreciate any people who choose to live there....fortunately it stays pretty remote for a reason....and many who do visit probably are very respectful.

Last edited:

Few if any races/countries have a past free of arrogance and ignorance and many used violence to accoplish.

Recreational boats are the least of the problems for many distressed peoples of the world.

Having been to that part of the world, I truly appreciate any people who choose to live there....fortunately it stays pretty remote for a reason....and many who do visit probably are very respectful.

Of course you are right, mostly, but arrogance and ignorance is never right. Franklin killed a lot of people needlessly as did those before him. That is his true legacy. Dead is dead.

Wasn't directed at you anyway.

But because you continue.... there are many examples of bears trying to board boats and ships..... and yes they were all successfully scared of before any injuries. So no worries.

As far as setting foot on land...my readings include bears swimming to the boat or when it was in ice, not on land.....so don't get cocky....I have actually been in the Arctic, 3 times, heck I almost had to survive there when my helo broke on the ice not far from the pole.

But I will back off as you seem to know it all and don't like a little fun in your threads. :rolleyes:
I said...."land or ice". But i didnt say i know it all. In fact asked some questions(that werent answered). One was about bears and what they would probably do on boarding a yacht where 4 guys are pumping flares and spear gun shots into it....from behind their ballistic, blast and physical rated armoured portholes.

Last edited:

Was that sent to the wrong thread? This one is about transiting the NW passage.

No sir I did not say that is the NW Passage. I said that is a route you could take to avoid Canadian waters. The typical NW Passage route goes through Canadian waters.

The reason my imaginary route goes over Greenland is to avoid Canadian waters.

Once again, the international dispute is over the waters north of Canada's internationally recognized borders up to and including the north pole.

Got it, youre talking about an imaginary route, while i was talking about the NW passage, the route actually taken. And Canada only CLAIMS it, but its not recognized by all, unless Biden has changed that....amd all the other countries who say its an international waterway.

Nope...correct thread.

It wasn't directed at you like the other post.

If you keep thinking this is "your" thread, I am sure you can go back and see who I was directing it at.

Be prepared for ...

Great people, great little villages...

The OP doesn't plan to meet or talk to any "eskimos," so I guess that won't matter. Perhaps it's for the best.

Funny, this is what I think of and why all those centuries ALL that easy to get land remains nearly empty.

(first Mercator second population density)

Probably why so many think the Northwest Passage is a stretch.

I don't but like China and the South China Sea arguments (well a little). There are better ones where straits are argued as open to the world.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 96
  • index2.jpg
    index2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Is he planning to shoot flares at Eskimos if they try to board??

No, rather...polar bears. What would you do if a bear boarded your boat while transiting the NW passage? Be specific. Re eskimos, seems some guys are indignant for us not wanting to visit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom