North Pacific NP45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen boats with full side decks on just one side. I can't remember the make or what they call this option. For me, this would work fine. I always dock on the port side.pete

Nordhavn, Selene and KK to name but a few.

I find that if you ask, especially if you reserve ahead, you most often can get whatever orientation you prefer here on the west coast. However, sometimes, especially when they are busy, you can be assigned anything.

You only need to get one line secured, usually the stern line -
That's exactly how we do it! When leaving the slip, we start untying at the port stern, then the port spring and we continue around the boat until we reach the starboard stern line. When I call out from the bridge that I'm ready to back out, my wife unties the starboard stern line from the dock cleat and steps aboard through the cockpit side door. The process is reversed when entering the slip. We have refined this process over the years and as we grow older we find it to be almost perfect. (We use sound powered head phones to communicate when the process is not perfect!)

Our cockpit design (side door) is what makes the process work so well!

Attachments

• SeaLube.jpg
    SeaLube.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Side Door.jpg
    Side Door.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 76
We had the same issue on our GA. I initially wasn't comfortable grabbing the ball from midships as that is where the stabilizers are and I didn't want to risk snagging the line. However we adjusted to picking up midships and it is fine.

The large Hook & Moor would solve the issue. It extends to almost 10 1/2 feet. We've used ours to grab moorings from the bow for 6 years and it works 100% of the time.

The only marina on the NW coast that asked me to dock in a particular direction was Powell River(Westview). At that time they wanted the boats facing out. Can’t think of another, maybe some outstations have that rule. Not a problem in Sointula. Anybody know of any?

In a difficult docking situation with a single line handler, or worse yet solo, you would find timely line handling a PIA. And then you have the problem of fendering where there is no walk around.
I wish my main cabin was 4' wider, but not at the expense of safe handling. And I solo and it would make line handling a mad rush thru the cabin.

It should arrive in Blaine in late May / early June - with another few weeks of commissioning. Definitely looking forward to it.

Congratulaions Shifty! My NP4511 is arriving in PHL on May 22. Looking forward to it!

My previous boat, a Grand Banks 42 Classic, had side decks so I was equally concerned about not having these as I looked for my next boat. The goal, if possible, was to gain more living space. Through YouTube videos, conversations with many people and visiting several boats, I determined that my wife and I would be able to handle the lines with no problem. I have purchased headsets to make the communication process to the stern easier. I eventually ordered a North Pacific 45 Pilothouse. The quality and value ultimately made it an easy decision.

We have the Helmsman 38' full beam salon area. We just pre rig the fenders before going into dock. Then one of us is on the stern hopps off and secures the stern line and then who ever is running the boat gets off midship and ties off the bow. We enjoy the ease of our Helmsman 38'. Its also an easy boat to single hand because the decks are low to the dock. Great boat to grow old on, no ladders.

That is a most attractive boat.
I do like the sensible pilot house windows.
Port and Starboard pilot house doors must really help a lot too when tending mooring lines etc.

We have the Helmsman 38' full beam salon area. We just pre rig the fenders before going into dock. Then one of us is on the stern hopps off and secures the stern line and then who ever is running the boat gets off midship and ties off the bow. We enjoy the ease of our Helmsman 38'. Its also an easy boat to single hand because the decks are low to the dock. Great boat to grow old on, no ladders.

It is a very good looking boat. Wait, what is that I see? A little bit of canvas up top. What's up with that Nocanvas?

Cheers!

getting close to final decisions. went with2 forced air diesel heaters. Dont mount ladder,Install back spash per our selection.sea view mount for sat and radar. Thinking about an apex dingy. Should have in 5 weeks.
Trying to find moorage in puget sound.Hard with the covid and still need to take a ride in the boat.

I had an idea. Would people like to pm me there hull number, name phone number and email and i will make a list. Everyone i have talked to have been great and very informative. Have a list we would be able to share information efficiently and help each other with troubleshooting. Might be fun.
Rod

Hi Rod,

We are 4514. Also not mounting the ladder. Stainless steel tiles have been the usual tile of choice for the stove backspalsh. I did not want any but Diane likes the glass look tiles available at the big box stores. We found some we both like so in it will go.

Glad you solved the heater issue. For aux. heat we did a Red Dot type heater in the pilothouse. It is more for defogging and heat underweigh than heating at rest. It works off engine heat like a car for those not famaliar with it.

Rob

Date night: Will running coolant lines that much higher than the engine, not cause some problems? Don’t know so just asking.

Dave, how are your Stabilizer fins?

I have purchased headsets to make the communication process to the stern easier.
It continues to amaze me as to how many people miss this wonderful addition to their boating gear! My wife & I bought ours years ago and use them every time we go out. My mechanic even wears one when he is in the ER so that he can effortlessly inform me of his findings. I can be up on the bridge and still communicate with him in the ER.

Attachments

• Head Set.jpg
    Head Set.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 55
It continues to amaze me as to how many people miss this wonderful addition to their boating gear! My wife & I bought ours years ago and use them every time we go out. My mechanic even wears one when he is in the ER so that he can effortlessly inform me of his findings. I can be up on the bridge and still communicate with him in the ER.

Agreed, we use ear tech wireless and they are awesome! Use every launch and returning to slip.

Hi Rod,

We are 4514. Also not mounting the ladder. Stainless steel tiles have been the usual tile of choice for the stove backspalsh. I did not want any but Diane likes the glass look tiles available at the big box stores. We found some we both like so in it will go.

Glad you solved the heater issue. For aux. heat we did a Red Dot type heater in the pilothouse. It is more for defogging and heat underweigh than heating at rest. It works off engine heat like a car for those not famaliar with it.

Rob
Teresa ask trevor to hold off on back splash. I think she wants the glass tiles also.

Also found something kinda cool.
[FONT=&quot]https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=874112922796365&_rdr
[/FONT]
Rod
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Date night: Will running coolant lines that much higher than the engine, not cause some problems? Don’t know so just asking.

Hi Rebel,

The coolant will go through a flat plate heat exchanger in the engine room so that should eliminate tht issue.

Rob

OP, I agree with your wife. 360-degree deck was in my top three musts.

Attachments

• leaving berth.jpg
    leaving berth.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 63
Be interested to see how that is plumbed. Separate circuit with pump, I would guess. The plate exchangers work very well, especially in a closed circuit. Make sure there are bleeders at the red dots.

Be interested to see how that is plumbed. Separate circuit with pump, I would guess. The plate exchangers work very well, especially in a closed circuit. Make sure there are bleeders at the red dots.

Bleeders at the high point are key.

Rob

Hi Rob
I need to ask trevor about the defrosters. I just assumed they would be standard especially on a boat .

Hi Rob
I need to ask trevor about the defrosters. I just assumed they would be standard especially on a boat .

We had fans on the 39 which did a good job of keeping the windscreen clear. The heater is really more for heat underweigh than defogging. I should have been specific.

Rob

On a previous 41' we ran coolant lines to a Reddot on the flybridge. Used 2 ball valves and a boost pump in the engine room with no bleeder valve and never had a problem. Turned on the pump, opened the feed valve then the return valve, and w/o out at least one side curtain open, it would roast you out. We drove 95 % of the time from the FB so it got used alot.

A few comments

--With diesel forced air heat available in the PH why is a red dot heater needed?

--The nice thing about hydronic Vs forced air is the entire boat can be heated utilizing engine heat. Thus our boiler never fires when we're cruising in cold weather

--When anchoring after a long day running the latent ER heat keeps the vessel warm through the night if temps above 50F, obviating need for any diesel heat

Back
Top Bottom