North East, still cruising!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
The weather has been so great I'm still cruising. Heading down river and around Manhattan this weekend bound for Mamroneck where Derecktors Shipyard will install my new generator. I dropped it off with my SUV today and completed the paint job. It looks great in bright white with red winding cover.

I'm going to hold off on pulling the trigger on a bow thruster because I'm now planning a wing engine. Going for a Yanmar 3YM30AE with sail drive.

I'm open to advice on what bow thruster to install. I'm 48 tons and quite deep.

A big one! That is a lot of weight to move sideways.

This year has been very temperate here too. Today it is mid 50s. We had to put our boat away to get it into the barn otherwise we could still be cruising too.

Still cruisin In Gloucester area as well

Sadly no more boating for us until April. We hauled for the season on 10/31, although we've had a few really nice days since then. Unfortunately it's just impractical to keep the boat in later around here (for a variety of reasons).

Same here plus we needed to get the thruster fixed so we had it pulled to get a good spot I. The yard and get the work done before the repair folks got too busy.

Had the thruster repaired and a dedicated battery installed. Covering it up on Friday

I'm open to advice on what bow thruster to install. I'm 48 tons and quite deep.

Funny you should mention that. I was looking this morning at Side-Power bow thrusters for my imaginary boat (imaginary boats are substantially cheaper but require just as much thought).

What struck me as odd was the similar price in the thrusters in the different tunnel sizes. These are for mid range thrust 24 volt not variable speed. My guess is you will need a tunnel size of 8.5", 10", or 11.8".

8.5" with 330 thrust is $5.7k
10" with 440 thrust is $8.5k
11.8" with 550 thrust is $8.6k

Now I understand there is more to the thruster than the cost of the unit. But to my way of thinking, unless you let someone BS you, the cost of installation (which is often the most expensive part) shouldn't be hugely different. Cutting the hole and glassing in the tube, shouldn't be hugely different between an 8.5" tube and an 11.8" tube.

IMO, get the biggest tube size that will fit your boat. Within reason, bigger diameter propellers give better push with less slippage. Secondly, I've never met a person who said their thruster was too big and too powerful. There are plenty of people who have ones that under perform.

Ted

Brrr, we hauled the boat and left RI back on Columbus Day.

Brrr, we hauled the boat and left RI back on Columbus Day.

Brrr? I was out in my dinghy two days ago in my shorts and t-shirt. :):)

I'm now docked at Derecktors Ship Yard for my new generator install plus some steel work. Hope to head back home in about a week. Hopefully with a working generator I can run electric heat for the trip home.

I guess I'm confused. What is the correlation between a wing engine and a bow thruster? Unless you are referring to a financial aspect as in only enough $$ for one project this winter.

pete

I guess I'm confused. What is the correlation between a wing engine and a bow thruster? Unless you are referring to a financial aspect as in only enough $$ for one project this winter.

pete

My guess, having tw engines will allow him to have better control than one engine.

I have a 24 volt bow thruster and it a beast. It moves our bow quickly and without a worry. We are much lighter than you though.

Mike

pete

As it turns out the bow thruster will probably not happen due to the additional steel reinforcement previously added for ice and the location of the bow fuel tank. Derecktors recommended I go with a stern thruster instead.

The correlation of thruster to wing engine is that the boat has to be hauled for these jobs so best to get ALL the planning done before hand.

Anyway, the new generator is installed and runs everything with no issues. Today I did an oil and filter change then ran the entire stove and two 1500 watt heaters all together along with the inverter and battery charger for half an hour and it handled the load perfectly.

My cruise around NYC back to my winter home on the Hudson went smoothly apart from the very heavy fog that meant all I saw on the 50+ mile trip was a couple of bouys a lot of ferries and a brief glimpse of Manhattan!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom