North Carolina to Abaco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RagtopRon

Vessel Name
Korkzcrew
Vessel Make
Great Harbour N37
I'm interested in returning to the Bahamas for the winter again next year...but the ICW is taking its toll on my psyche. (Been up and down twice now from Wrightsville Beach to Miami.) I've been "outside" for several legs but my boat (37' Great Harbour) isn't built for beam seas so it needs to be calm in order for me to venture oceanside.

I wondering if anyone has crossed the g-stream from NC and rode the eastern eddy down to West End. I realize a favorable weather window is needed...just wondering if anyone has done it in a coastal cruiser @ 7kts....maybe 8-9 with eddy?

Thanks,
RTR

Never done it, but from what I can see of current charts of the Gulf Stream, any eddy is too far offshore to be helpful and at best is light.

Just head south along the coast offshore and pick your weather window to cross the stream quickly and then head back south on the other side of the stream. Enter the Abacos at Whale Cay.

But that will take significant range, at least 600 NM worth.

David

Roger that... the eddy I mention is (supposedly) thin southernly current that occurs on the eastern edge of the stream. I believe sailors try to exploit this phenomenon when heading south after crossing. But maybe what you're referring to is the crossing distance from NC vs. FL?
I've got 1500 mile range so I'm good there...guess I'm just wondering if others have done it at slow speed.
RTR

If you drill down into the Windy menus, you'll find a "current" overlay. Right now, showing a substantial 1.1 it SW counter-current. Nothing to sneeze at and definitely a nice push as long as winds are not against.

I have zero local knowledge so no idea how accurate Windy is.

Peter 1894662095.jpg

EDIT. FastSeas is the least expensive routing product that I know of which has routing that includes effect of current. Here's the route for a 7 kt boat leaving now. Shows a slight jog across the stream. 84 hour run.

View attachment 128440

Last edited:
To do that trip offshore with the cold fronts of fall starting to roll off the continent, the weather windows will be brief. Rolling motion (IMO) unavoidable, with moderate to heavy rolling likely.

I would continue as you have been, ICW and outside when and as often as possible.
I enter the Abbaco's just S of Memory Rock and would carry 5.5' with my former ride (Morgan 452 ketch).
Only had to outside around Whale Cay to get down to Little Harbor.
Sailing in the Sea of Abbaco is the best. Wish my shoulder agreed.

P.S. You can always hire a delivery crew to take it as far south as you wish.

Attachments

• DSCF3655a1.jpg
    DSCF3655a1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 15
I'm interested in returning to the Bahamas for the winter again next year...but the ICW is taking its toll on my psyche. (Been up and down twice now from Wrightsville Beach to Miami.) I've been "outside" for several legs but my boat (37' Great Harbour) isn't built for beam seas so it needs to be calm in order for me to venture oceanside.

I wondering if anyone has crossed the g-stream from NC and rode the eastern eddy down to West End. I realize a favorable weather window is needed...just wondering if anyone has done it in a coastal cruiser @ 7kts....maybe 8-9 with eddy?

Thanks,
RTR

I would not launch from NC for the Bahamas. I might head across from West Palm or even as far north as Stuart. Both entry to the Bahamas and return to the US are complicated by several days reaching the Bahamas, especially with Covid protocols still in effect.

The whole targeting of the eddy would be so difficult and far more likely to just end up slowed in the Gulf Stream and finding rougher water.

Correct; you have 72 hours to get from test site NEG to immigration. unless you have a legit covid tester on board? or, sit under yellow flag and wait for a qualified local to admin the test.

Have done this trip from mouth of Chesapeake several times.
I used the temperature and the current Gulf Stream charts from NOAA. Even now with satellite unless you’re very slow break outs, curls, main and counter currents don’t change that rapidly. Low baud is available several places for down load. Even now follow water temperature as well.
If leaving for leewards different calculus. Then do great circle leaving from Hampton/Norfolk or Oriental depending upon what’s happening across the Capes. Will use the ditch to pre position. You definitely want to avoid Hatt/Fear in bad weather.
The major issue is to avoid wind against wave which is a washing machine and miserable. Have even switched sides to do so. You pay a major loss going across the stream so that’s to be avoided if at all possible. My preference is to stay west of the stream and cross near ultimate destination. Bail out if weather goes south remains an available option then.
You’re in a power boat not sail. For the amount of current lift involved if you’re in SD unless of a substantial size would just follow the coast 5-20 nm off. We will be doing this trip come November first in a EU B SD hull. From past experiences dealing with the Gulf Stream have no interest in being on the west side of it for transit unless in a purpose build BWB.
Going north is a whole different kettle of fish. Easy peasie. Ride the escalator. Turn left at your destination.

Last edited:

Thanks,
RTR
Why do you need to cross the GS so early? In your boat, non stabilized, I would consider 3-5 miles offshore heading S which avoids the GS until you reach Florida. If u r getting beaten up, come inside, then cross GS from Ft Pierce or more likely, FL or Miami. The ditch really isn’t that bad save for all the S FL bridges if you can’t get air draft under 23’. Lots of easy anchorages.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom