Old 05-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Hi Steve,
My reply may be too late, but just saw your post. I own a 2002 NT 37 here in the PNW of Canada...
*Pet Peeve Alert*

PNW would be Washington State...you are on BC's South Coast

Old 05-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #22
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi Murray,
Yes, technically you are correct, but someone from England would probably not care about that. Don't you have more important things to worry about?? I know I do!

Steve,
Congrats on your new Tug! I wish you great fun and save travels!!
Tom

Old 05-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
*Pet Peeve Alert*

PNW would be Washington State...you are on BC's South Coast
Murray

Pet peeve or not, the PNW by most non marine sources includes BC, Oregon and Washington. Cascadia is a long forgotten term that was tossed around 150 years ago or so when boundaries were being discussed from the Juneau area down to the Columbia.

Wikipedia is a good simple starting place for geographical descriptions. Many tomes suggest SE Alaska and a small bit of the Yukon are in the PNW.

And yes Murray, I perfectly understand your reasons and viewpoint for desiring a separation from the US. The Douglas cruising guides differentiate the BC regions too, fitting with your desires. It definitely simplifies book and region titles.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
I would do what your engine surveyor says to do because the seller should not object. I have never heard of anyone asking for a half hour at WOT. I would not do it and would walk from the deal....
I put a provision in the sale agreement that the boat is at the buyers risk while under survey,and make sure the surveyors know. Tends to moderate any over the top testing.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #25
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved59 View Post
Further to my recent post on the 'Welcome Mat', tomorrow is the day i'm having a sea trial on a NT37.

This is the boat in question:

2007 Nordic Tugs 37 Flybridge Power New and Used Boats for Sale listing#.WuGNKrpFyUk

The price agreed is quite a bit lower than that mentioned in the advert, the problem is that there are no other NT37's for sale in the UK / Europe to compare with, so any thoughts on pricing / how the boat is specced would be appreciated.

I'll run the boat at WOT for half an hour or so, what should the engine temperature should be reading? I'm expecting 16-17 knots depending on how dirty her bum is.

Any other comments on the pro's or cons on this boat.

Thanks all

Steve
Hi, Congratulations on being a new NT skipper. Here are some of the information you asked.

my NT 37 wot is rmp is 3065 and sped is 17-18,5 Depending on the loading of water, fuel and other stuff.

Temperature is all rmp range 78-80 C°.

I think the price is good for you if the boat is okay.

You are welcome to join SENTOA, it is a NT community that can also help you ask for details about NT. The NT manufacturer will also help you with any questions.

http://sentoa.org/

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #26
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Murray

Pet peeve or not, the PNW by most non marine sources includes BC, Oregon and Washington. Cascadia is a long forgotten term that was tossed around 150 years ago or so when boundaries were being discussed from the Juneau area down to the Columbia.

Wikipedia is a good simple starting place for geographical descriptions. Many tomes suggest SE Alaska and a small bit of the Yukon are in the PNW.

And yes Murray, I perfectly understand your reasons and viewpoint for desiring a separation from the US. The Douglas cruising guides differentiate the BC regions too, fitting with your desires. It definitely simplifies book and region titles.
My mom is Canadian and grew up on Vancouver Island. Always called that area the PNW. This reference also included the Puget Sound area and Olympic Peninsula. It also included the western part of BC.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Congrats
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #28
Guru

Then shouldn't it be the Pacific North East, as it's in the north east corner of the Pacific Ocean? North American North West would make much more sense
Old 05-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Then shouldn't it be the Pacific North East, as it's in the north east corner of the Pacific Ocean? North American North West would make much more sense

I understand your point. I do try to recall to either refer to the waters as the PNW and BC or to the Salish Sea depending not the areas discussed.

Of course, there are other misnomers that are common. For example, I try not to refer to US citizens as “Americans”. Canadians are just as “American” as US citizens since we share the same continent.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I understand your point. I do try to recall to either refer to the waters as the PNW and BC or to the Salish Sea depending not the areas discussed.

Of course, there are other misnomers that are common. For example, I try not to refer to US citizens as “Americans”. Canadians are just as “American” as US citizens since we share the same continent.
Commendable but don’t forget those Chileans...they’re Americans too!
Old 05-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #31
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Pacific North west has always, in my experience, referred to the Washington & Oregon states when discussing ocean waterways. As in the Pacific North West of the US. The BC coast is the BC coast.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #32
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Pacific North west has always, in my experience, referred to the Washington & Oregon states when discussing ocean waterways. As in the Pacific North West of the US. The BC coast is the BC coast.
Exactly.

If anything the Sunshine Coast could be referred to as the PSW of Canada.

note to US residents. - The rest of the world does not use the USA as the centre of the universe to reference everything else from.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post

note to US residents. - The rest of the world does not use the USA as the centre of the universe to reference everything else from.
Way to go...this thread almost calmed down