Nordhavn salvage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There I also a N40 in the PNW that was caught on the rough when the tide went out and basically got filled fill with salt water when the tide came back in. I don't recall the details but the boat was refurbished and sold at least one time and was recently for sale again.

John

Right, that's "Hayden Bay", and the same boat mentioned my Reveille.

If this had been a steel boat would it have sank?

I can't say for sure, but this us my interpretation from a member of the salvage crew.

He described it more of a swamping than holing that ultimately sank the boat.

Like many incudents, best to hear several views before being reasonably sure of the facts....so I am waiting to hear more recounts of the incident.

Well if it ripped off a stabilizer then yes, like others have said anything can happen and Nordhavn's in most cases are out there traveling, which increases the odds of something happening.

Well if it ripped off a stabilizer then yes, like others have said anything can happen and Nordhavn's in most cases are out there traveling, which increases the odds of something happening.

In most cases a stabilizer will break away cleanly leaving no hole.

Punching one up through the bottom of your hull is another matter altogether.

Hmmmm....can't say I've done much big water passage making, but every time I've hit something it's been within sight of shoreline.
It's what's driving my line of inquiry and decision making in my boat purchase. It would seem that the probability of hitting something, is much more likely costal cruising than in big water. Hence I'm giving steel a very serious consideration for that reason alone.

Very true. We all do our best, but things happen. Sounds like they did their best to save her.

The owner just posted this to the NordhavnDreamers Yahoo list which is a public forum so I don't mind repeating it here. By all indications it was a simple navigation mistake/oversight, and a sobering and tragic reminder how easy it is to overlook something, and how disastrous the results can be. We all make mistakes, and usually get away with it. But not this time...
Home

I know I've screwed up and/or missed things. Most memorable was crossing the mouth of the Columbia river at night, dodging the incoming and outgoing traffic. There was a brightly lit "something" ahead and to starboard, but quite far away. And a small return on our radar more or less on the same bearing. I decided the brightly lit blob was an on-shore facility of some sort, and radar return a boat which I continued to monitor.

ARPA showed the boat target clear of us, at least most of the time, but it was erratic. This went of for maybe 20-30 minutes and the darn small boat kept getting closer and closer, though still showed as clear most of the time. I was looking for its nav lights, but couldn't spot them, so assumed it was a small boat with lights lost in the sea state.

Then came the oh-****. Turns out the big lit up facility was a fishing boat with all it's deck lights on, and was one in the same with my small radar target. The deck lights completely drowned out the boats nav lights, and we were on a direct collision course with me as the give way vessel.

Lessons learned:

- you can't judge the distance of lights at night. Not even close.

- even though a boat needs to display nav lights and nothing else that might confuse the same, boats don't comply

- Simrads ARPA doesn't work and creates more danger rather than reducing it.

I got way with it in this instance, but could just as well have become a statistic at the bottom of the sea.

Last edited:
I know I've screwed up and/or missed things. Most memorable was crossing the mouth of the Columbia river at night, dodging the incoming and outgoing traffic. There was a brightly lit "something" ahead and to starboard, but quite far away. And a small return on our radar more or less on the same bearing. I decided the brightly lit blob was an on-shore facility of some sort, and radar return a boat which I continued to monitor.

ARPA showed the boat target clear of us, at least most of the time, but it was erratic. This went of for maybe 20-30 minutes and the darn small boat kept getting closer and closer, though still showed as clear most of the time. I was looking for its nav lights, but couldn't spot them, so assumed it was a small boat with lights lost in the sea state.

Then came the oh-****. Turns out the big lit up facility was a fishing boat with all it's deck lights on, and was one in the same with my small radar target. The deck lights completely drowned out the boats nav lights, and we were on a direct collision course with me as the give way vessel.

Lessons learned:

- you can't judge the distance of lights at night. Not even close.

- even though a boat needs to display nav lights and nothing else that might confuse the same, boats don't comply

- Simrads ARPA doesn't work and creates more danger rather than reducing it.

I got way with it in this instance, but could just as well have become a statistic at the bottom of the sea.

There is a good "article" on the last page of PMY magazine by David Marlowe with a similar self reflective sentiment. If one is going to operate one's boat on the "edge"(for lack of better description), one has to be able to dissect the incident and learn from it even if it ended in success. There is no perfect "flight"!

Not knowing what happened, we can't answer that. However, anyone who thinks a steel boat is impervious to sinking or other damage is quite mistaken. They simply are impacted differently by different things than are glass boats.

Having once anchored behind Reedy Island in calm weather ( a "one and done" as far as I am concerned, better spots on the east side of the river) , I wonder where this happened exactly. There is only one safe and marked cut through the dyke.

Here's the chart: Chart 12311

My story from 50+ years ago happened far to the north, at about the FL 6s 15' "C".

I've anchored several times, south of Pea Patch Island, off of Delaware City, in that area of 6'-7' of water. OK when calm, and no big thing can hit you. Handy before or after traversing the C&D. Beats that Gen Anchorage #4 which is said to be foul-bottomed.

I'd considered anchoring and hiding behind Reedy Island; not as handy to the Canal, and was dissuaded by the dike.

Last edited:
TT, I had a similar situation with a large Hornblower dinner cruise boat last year coming down the channel. It was several hundred feet long, all light up carrying people, and played havoc with me.

As an aside, I know you don't like Simrads ARPA, and I don't either because I have the 4G and have experienced some of the same concerns you have noted. But I have also been reading accounts that their new Halo open array Arpa is much better. But, that is for a different thread.

What is or was the purposes of the dikes in this area?

What is or was the purposes of the dikes in this area?
Army Corp of Eng attempts to keep the channel from shifting or silting in. No idea why they chose to make them so low.

Having once anchored behind Reedy Island in calm weather ( a "one and done" as far as I am concerned, better spots on the east side of the river) , I wonder where this happened exactly. There is only one safe and marked cut through the dyke.

I can take a guess that they continued northbound on Liston Range, missing the turn onto Baker Range. Historically that is one of the most frequent crash sites. The other is the very north end of Pea Patch Dike. Those are partially submerged sheet pile cofferdams.

Greetings,
"... one safe and marked cut through the dyke." Um....I think it's large women in comfortable shoes.. I suspect we're talking about dikes.

After a sinking there will be a number of needed repairs. If the engines were pickled soon after the boat was refloated, they may be OK, but pulling the head(s) would a a good idea just to make sure everything is OK. Perhaps one of the biggest issues will be the electrical system (and electronics). In most cases it will need to be completely replaced, particularly if the boat went down in salt water. As far as hull damage is concerned, that is easy to fix and make stronger than before the sinking. What might get expensive is if the topsides were damaged and have to be repainted. In addition, a lot of the fabrics and cushions on the boat will need replacing and there may be damage to interior wood/finishes. Cleaning will also be a big job. A friend's boat ended up on a sandy beach a few years ago. Years later he was still finding sand in the boat.

Army Corp of Eng attempts to keep the channel from shifting or silting in. No idea why they chose to make them so low.

Thanks, "attempts" must be the operative word. We wintered at Delaware City in 2014/15 and they were running one of the biggest dredging ops there I've ever seen--for months. Wonder what they were thinking when they designed them to be invisible at high tide? Budgets?

The quoted report from the owner is that" he hit a submerged rock pile just south of reedy island"I reviewed the chart,and don't see any obstructions south of reedy island.What am I missing?

The quoted report from the owner is that" he hit a submerged rock pile just south of reedy island"I reviewed the chart,and don't see any obstructions south of reedy island.What am I missing?

You are missing a very long extended rock dike. Pretty well marked too though consulting the LNMs is advisable as some marks come and go there.

Last edited:
tinped, it's the double-dashed line extending south from Reedy Island. You have to zoom in enough to see it clearly, and even farther to see the labels.

It shows pretty clearly on Google Earth: https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...50638ca25b0f13!8m2!3d39.5153899!4d-75.5629808

Also, get a load of the line of sunken ships south of the Salem Nuclear Power Plant.

They were sunk in the early 1900's to create "Artificial Island". Its amazing that the old wood boats still show after all these years.

There is a good "article" on the last page of PMY magazine by David Marlowe with a similar self reflective sentiment. If one is going to operate one's boat on the "edge"(for lack of better description), one has to be able to dissect the incident and learn from it even if it ended in success. There is no perfect "flight"!

Is it in the latest issue?

And that's a perfect example of how "stuff" happens. You didn't see it either on the charts, and would have hit it too.

BTW, it looked to me to always be submerged. I think the chart said covered to 0.5 to 5.9', or something close to that.

The exact location of the incident is pretty easy to find. Go to Ghost Rider's blog and click on their spot tracker. You will see them coming down the bay to the west of the channel, then making a turn west to "head to their anchorage". Then you will see a cluster of locations all together, then nothing. If you plot one of those locations on your chart plotter, it will be right on top of the dyke. As I recall it's nowhere near any passage, so I think a simple case of not realizing what those dashed lines were, followed by a very, very bad day.

And that's a perfect example of how "stuff" happens. You didn't see it either on the charts, and would have hit it too.

BTW, it looked to me to always be submerged. I think the chart said covered to 0.5 to 5.9', or something ose to that.

The exact location of the incident is pretty easy to find. Go to Ghost Rider's blog and click on their spot tracker. You will see them coming down the bay to the west of the channel, then making a turn west to "head to their anchorage". Then you will see a cluster of locations all together, then nothing. If you plot one of those locations on your chart plotter, it will be right on top of the dyke. As I recall it's nowhere near any passage, so I think a simple case of not realizing what those dashed lines were, followed by a very, very bad day.

The Spot Tracker seems to have lost its spots. Ok so heading for dBay going behind the wall to anchor. There is a narrow marked opening. For some reason, missed the opening. FWIW, they are not the first. I hope they were uninjured.

At low water most of the jetty has the top rocks exposed. There is an opening in the middle marked with a red and green day marker. That opening is about 100' wide and is the only in/out to the anchorage and shore boat ramp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom