Nordhavn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter-B asked, sooooo.....

Attachments

• PCH_2020-12-23_18-19_0018.jpg
    PCH_2020-12-23_18-19_0018.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 49
  • PCH_2020-12-23_18-21_0034.jpg
    PCH_2020-12-23_18-21_0034.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 45
  • PCH_2021-01-07_16-12_1541.jpg
    PCH_2021-01-07_16-12_1541.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 51
  • PCH_2021-01-07_16-12_1543.jpg
    PCH_2021-01-07_16-12_1543.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 46
  • PCH_2021-01-08_13-12_1629.jpg
    PCH_2021-01-08_13-12_1629.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 53
  • PCH_2021-01-08_13-13_1630.jpg
    PCH_2021-01-08_13-13_1630.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 51
  • PCH_2021-01-08_15-15_1765.jpg
    PCH_2021-01-08_15-15_1765.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 53
  • PCH_2021-01-08_15-27_1779.jpg
    PCH_2021-01-08_15-27_1779.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 52
  • PCH_2021-01-08_15-28_1784.jpg
    PCH_2021-01-08_15-28_1784.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 49
And a few more

Attachments

• PCH_2021-01-09_14-26_2100.jpg
    PCH_2021-01-09_14-26_2100.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 55
  • PCH_2021-01-10_12-52_0954.jpg
    PCH_2021-01-10_12-52_0954.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 46
  • PCH_2021-02-04_14-54_0626.jpg
    PCH_2021-02-04_14-54_0626.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 52
Lovely setup for sure :thumb:

What are the vertical fiberglass tanks?
Guessing something to do with water makers?

Last edited:
TT
The Scania install looks seamless. Are there any material changes to exhaust runs and water flows from a JD install?

See such tanks in the western Caribbean as well. But they seem to rather drink beer or Guinness ��.

We've seen some very well designed roof collector and water storage systems in Hawaii. Two years ago we stayed in a house that had a total roof collector purification system consisting of filters, RO, UV and chlorination.

In many parts of rural HI no central water or sewage systems exist due to shifting lava flows and cost. Thus self contained systems, much like boating, are utilized.

Average income in Hawaii far exceeds that in the Caribbean. Especially in the Windwards. Trust in public water services varies as well. Did have the opportunity to get friendly with locals at various economic levels. Such systems as you describe are limited to upper levels of society. Rest do continue to buy potable water for ingestion. Was surprised by the amount of beer/stout drunk for hydration not recreation but that well might be a skewed view due to the nature of my interaction (invited over for lunch or dinner or to work with them on a charity project).

Thanks for the pics @twistedtree.

As an outsider looking in.... (no Trawler, just dreaming/planning at this point), I stumbled upon Nordhavn via various google searches, youtube videos, etc.

I think the marketing sucked me in, but the marketing can only do so much. The reality is what keeps the demand and those prices high. I figure that marketing is perception, but reality is reality. Nordhavn does both, in my in-experienced, but fairly well-read experience.

In other areas of our life, we seem to subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" mentality. Even though we may end up as coastal cruisers or loopers, the resale of Nordhavn might financially make sense when it comes to selling.

TT
The Scania install looks seamless. Are there any material changes to exhaust runs and water flows from a JD install?

Not much due to the engine selection. One thing is the exhaust tube. The Scania is happy with an 8" tube, and I think they use a 12" tube for the Deere wet exhaust. Also keep in mind that probably 90% of the Deere installation on this model are dry exhaust, not wet.

Muffler placement varies widely, and I was very involved in the arrangement on this boat to keep other spaces open and accessible as much as possible.

Know some of the large Nordhavns were delivered with wet exhausts and their two most recent offerings (N41 and 51) only come that way. Curious as to your thinking concerning this. Is there sufficient reason for the company to stop offering dry exhaust for all future models?
Having had my issues with wet exhaust in the past a strong driver for me to have a Nordhavn is the dry exhaust. Given we’re commonly in the tropics an occasional short haul and more frequent dives is our routine anyway.

Know some of the large Nordhavns were delivered with wet exhausts and their two most recent offerings (N41 and 51) only come that way. Curious as to your thinking concerning this. Is there sufficient reason for the company to stop offering dry exhaust for all future models?
Having had my issues with wet exhaust in the past a strong driver for me to have a Nordhavn is the dry exhaust. Given we’re commonly in the tropics an occasional short haul and more frequent dives is our routine anyway.

In my mind, there are somewhat more things to go wrong with wet exhaust. But when it's working properly, it's nicer to live with. Less heat rejection into the boat, no need to find space to route a stack (with enough airspace around it) up through the boat, etc. And wet exhaust is usually quieter and does a better job of keeping soot off the boat.

Twistedtree, very nice!

I'm curious about the storm plates for those large stateroom windows.

I've seen the heavy metal plates on the stateroom ports on an older Nordhavn. I see your windows have the dogs in place for a similar plate... are yours also big heavy things like the smaller ones? they must be real beasts! How/where do you store them?

This is something I was curious about looking at the newer Nordhavn designs with the large rectangular windows down on the bow. Seems to be that they are approaching the point where I'd want some protection on the outside to save the glass!

.....Even though we may end up as coastal cruisers or loopers, the resale of Nordhavn might financially make sense when it comes to selling.

I wonder which Nordhavn models might be suitable for the loop? Seems like the larger ones have a large air draft.....

My dream is something that can do the loop
can cruise SOME of the canals and rivers in Europe.
can also cross to Europe and back (not frequent/regular crossing, but can once with preparation and care)

I wonder which Nordhavn models might be suitable for the loop? Seems like the larger ones have a large air draft.....

can also cross to Europe and back (not frequent/regular crossing, but can once with preparation and care)

A typical first generation 40' model without paravane booms reported a draft of 5.5' and an air draft of 18' if the mast was folded.

The 41. We’re doing a reasonable sized one and even then dropping the dry exhaust using the wrinkle you still have to worry about the flybridge. People do it but there’s much better boats at much less money for that activity considering the Chicago canal or draft issues in the Erie Canal especially at present. Even a Mark One 40 would be a hassle. Look at the looper site and see why. Think if you’re going to not do a rushed transport just to get to your cruising grounds you’d be better off getting a suitable vessel for looping then sell it for your oceanic trip.
Draft under 5’ and airdraft of 12’ would make things much easier when looping.

Last edited:
draft issues in the Erie Canal especially at present.

In general, I wouldn't worry about a 5 or 6 foot draft in there. It's rare to see a spot where that would be an issue and it's usually a known spot and will get dredged when it gets that bad. I worry far more about debris than depth in the channel when we're in the canals. Depth is mostly a concern in any basins, etc. off the channel that may not get dredged often enough. Sometimes along walls too.

TT, your boat looks spectacular. All of it looks great but the ER and utility spaces are particularly impressive. Congratulations on that new rig. You will be traveling in style for sure.

TT, at some point please give educate us on your systems - particularly the house bank system. Thanks

I love my Nordhavn but would shop elsewhere if my goal was the loop. We spent one season in FL before moving to the west coast and it seemed like there was way too much shallow water and too many bridges for a tall, deep draft boat. The loop is much more so and you would be better off with a different boat for that mission.

Dry stack exhaust is the dominant setup for most of the N line and I expect it will stay that way. There are pros and cons to both and personally I would be happy either way. My current boat is dry stack and I prefer it for this boat, but a well maintained wet system can be fine too.

The documentary of the first Nordhavn Atlantic Rally (2004?) gives an idea of their ride in sizable swells, though the newest models are missing of course. Most interesting is when one of the smaller models has their active stabilization go down for a while. Available on YouTube.

Nordhavn often uses that rally as promotional material. However, when read fully and studied carefully it's quite the opposite. It's poor promotional material for both Nordhavn and the idea of crossing. There were several, especially spouses, who said never again and insisted on boats being put on the market the moment the crossing was completed. Stabilizers were a major issue. There were other problems too and the salvation was having engineers along for the trip. Many of the boats, especially the smaller ones, could not have done it on their own with just the owners. So read it as a what not to do as well. In terms of crossing oceans, one what not to do is the wrong boat and often that is too small. If it's going to make one aboard swear off all future ocean boating then it was not a good idea for that boat and the ones aboard. Have to know all those aboard as well and their tolerance for rough conditions. We boat in conditions some of you don't, but would never take you aboard into those conditions. I'm sure there are others, especially commercial boaters here who have boated in far worse than we have on the job. One final point on the Rally. The boat leading the way was not a Nordhavn.

None. Not suitable for the canals in Europe either.

That's the quandary. What is your primary use? I don't know any boat that is suitable for the loop, for the canals and rivers in Europe, and for crossing the Atlantic. Need either more than one boat or ship it across.

Being the novice to all of this, that I am I'll consider that
but I feel like "none" is a bit too absolute....

My understanding is that there are a lot of different canal systems in Europe.
With the older ones being extremely shallow and with low bridges, small locks, etc...
but
there are other canals
and rivers too
that'll support much larger boats....in fact I've seen a couple MV Dirona videos taken in European Canals.... pretty sure that's a Nordhavn....

In my mind, there are somewhat more things to go wrong with wet exhaust. But when it's working properly, it's nicer to live with. Less heat rejection into the boat, no need to find space to route a stack (with enough airspace around it) up through the boat, etc. And wet exhaust is usually quieter and does a better job of keeping soot off the boat.

You can always route your dry exhaust out under water, and not up through the house. Still, the heat rejections in the engine room requires some professionally installed insulation.

Being the novice to all of this, that I am I'll consider that
but I feel like "none" is a bit too absolute....

My understanding is that there are a lot of different canal systems in Europe.
With the older ones being extremely shallow and with low bridges, small locks, etc...
but
there are other canals
and rivers too
that'll support much larger boats....in fact I've seen a couple MV Dirona videos taken in European Canals.... pretty sure that's a Nordhavn....

But you haven't seen Dirona do the loop. And it's been in some European Rivers but can not go to many of the most publicized canals. There are many US Rivers a boat like that can transverse. But it's air and water draft are not going to allow it to do the complete loop. I could to the outer route and come down the St. Lawrence to Montreal, and then go all the way to Chicago, then exit by reversing, then it could come around and come up the Mississippi and stop short of Chicago and return. In that manner it's possible to see all the area of the loop, but the bridge in Chicago presents a barrier you can't get under.

Dirona has a draft of 5'11". I don't know it's air draft, but in theory you could somehow remove the mast/tower and then I don't know if the flybridge would clear. Then Dirona could theoretically do the loop although you'd have to store the mast/tower somewhere and do from the start of the Erie to exiting in Chicago without your electronics. 5'11" is on the high side of draft but it's feasible.

Keep in mind that Dirona is on the small side of Nordhavns that people cross oceans in and it's also marginal in that regard. I'd want a larger Nordhavn for the cruising they do.

So, as it comes from the factory, no. With major modifications, perhaps but marginal.

With the exception of a single boat that I know of, I believe all the twin engine Nordhavn's are wet exhaust. That's why it's common in the larger models, and in the 41 and 51. In addition, a number (don't know how many or percentage) of the single engine boats are wet exhaust too where that was the buyer's preference.

The debate between the two is endless, mostly because they have different, but nearly equal pros and cons. So pick your poison. My first Nordhavn was dry exhaust and I didn't care for it, so switched to wet exhaust. The biggest objections I had were that dry exhaust was loud, dirty, and periodic maintenance (keel cooler cleaning and zinc changes) had to be done from in the water. I hate changing impellers on a wet exhaust boat, but at least it can be done in a warm, dry engine room. But I consider those to be value judgements, not technical arguments.

Twistedtree, very nice!

I'm curious about the storm plates for those large stateroom windows.

I've seen the heavy metal plates on the stateroom ports on an older Nordhavn. I see your windows have the dogs in place for a similar plate... are yours also big heavy things like the smaller ones? they must be real beasts! How/where do you store them?

This is something I was curious about looking at the newer Nordhavn designs with the large rectangular windows down on the bow. Seems to be that they are approaching the point where I'd want some protection on the outside to save the glass!

All the windows in the hull have metal storm plates, including those larger vertical windows. There are racks in various closets and under beds to store them. The yard did a very nice job with that.

There are also storm plates for the Salon windows which are the next level up. I haven't gotten them yet, and might not until a crossing is in the offing. They will be lexan, thickness TBD, and they bolt to the outside.

The big pilot house windows we upsided the glass thickness. Normally they are 12mm, and that meets the ABS classification requirements, thought we are not ABS certified. But with all the windows bigger, we decided on 16mm.

Sorry to be flooding out all this at once. But I'm working on the boat all day, every day, so don't get a look at anything else until the evening.

I'm not sure about the new 41, but in general a Nordhavn would not be my first pick for a loop boat, or a river boat in general. The air draft is too high (my 60 was around 32', and the 68 is around 34-35'), and the water draft is too high (60 was about 6.5' and the 68 is 7.5'). A few people with smaller models have built them with articulated stacks. The Hamilton's did this on Dirona, as I recall, and that's a 52. But I think getting any of them down to the 17-19' feet needed for the loop would be a real challenge. We did the Downeast loop in a Grand Banks 47 that drew just under 4', and I got the air draft down to 17'. That worked well, in my opinion.

Thanks for the pics twistedtree.

Yes, I also add my thanks for the pics I asked for. You delivered, and I appreciate the fact that as yet, things are still a bit of a work in progress, and you'd probably have preferred for everything to be perfect before you out up pics, but I'm sure we all appreciate that you have put those up. The vessel is magnificent, even as she is. I'm sure we will all now look forward even more keenly to see her once she is as you would want her for serious cruising.

Sadly it has also confirmed that if I was ever to have another large boat, it would just have to be a Nordy, so I have resigned myself to remaining boatless. But I can live with that. :flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom