Nordhavn 40: Atlantic Crossing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, 4 or 5 guys and one stateroom, 10+ days....

I suspect they were standing on cases of canned food too.

my 2 s/r 46 had room for lots of fresh and frozen food, assuming they had a separate freeze chest.
I do know it had space for a year's + supply of toilet paper. When she left me, took a year to see the back of the cabinet.

I spent 5 years in the Coast guard.. 3 racks deep on the ship that was built in the 1930's.... sucked as an 18 year old but taught me life lessons that I still hold dear today.... As a tug master, 40 plus years later, I have much better accommodations.... I doubt anyone was standing on canned food.. Urban legend

What a wonderful adventure. Judy, thank you for bringing up the topic. Please share more when you can.

WWII subs, shower filled with potatoes, cases cans in the passageways
Shoot, modern nuclear subs still leave on their tours with cases of food lining the
companionways! I had to walk around 'em when I worked aboard in Pearl Harbor.

Last edited:

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 63
Looks like he's running over Hull speed.

Can go fast to Bermuda. Tricky with AIS still under previous boat name.

Last edited:
If you pull back on the position display, you can see the ocean is crowded.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

But he is sending AIS signal and it's under the old boat name. Your comment has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

I think this is one of the most commonly overlooked things when a boat changes hands

I think this is one of the most commonly overlooked things when a boat changes hands

Agreed. The standard purchase contract should have it so the account is transferred. Then not have to chase the prior owner to transfer it or create a new one and maybe require the unit sent to the manufacturer to change.

my point is, he should not let a previous AIS registration slow him down. If he wants, he can prevent broadcasting, he can rewire the unit so he is not broadcasting an ID or he could buy a new unit. They are not that expensive.

Cool story, Judy. Thank you for writing and referencing it. He has decided that misfortune will not get in the way of living his life. Inspirational.

Great News!! Philippe and M/Y Embracing Life arrived Horta yesterday! Philippe is not only embracing life, I bet he is embracing land right now too :).

They had some interesting, and harrowing experiences, but I don't have enough details yet to post. I hope to post more information soon including preventative measures, if any, for "next time."

This crossing was made by a man with a dream who turned it into a goal, who made it reality: a man who said "I can" and he did! His will power, determination, and quest for life should be an inspiration to us all. Thank you Philippe!

I will be very interested to read of his adventures.

This would be a heartwarming documentary on Netflix etc. And loved the Mark Twain quote. We have no real excusses to live with regrets. Unfortunately I already feel some too soon old to late smartitus. Did he suffer any permanent disability that makes it even more challenging?

This would be a heartwarming documentary on Netflix etc. ... Did he suffer any permanent disability that makes it even more challenging?

Yes, Philippe had a debilitating hemorrhagic stroke that has left him with some permanent difficulties and significant challenges. I hope to expound on some of our "take for granted" daily activities that were problematic for Philippe during the crossing.

Anyone have a Netflix contact?! I agree this story should be told, not just as Philippe's story, but one to motivate others. I have already had one client send the story to a friend just recovering from a stroke. The story gets even more miraculous when the boat's safety became an issue in bad seas. It adds a sense of tension and adventure that turns the story into a nail-biter. But spoiler alert: the vessel and crew arrived safely in Horta yesterday so the story thankfully has a very happy and successful ending.

Thanks, Judy. I'll be interested in the full story.

( P.S. Let me know if she goes up for sale 'over there'...);)

Yes, Philippe had a debilitating hemorrhagic stroke that has left him with some permanent difficulties and significant challenges. I hope to expound on some of our "take for granted" daily activities that were problematic for Philippe during the crossing.

Anyone have a Netflix contact?! I agree this story should be told, not just as Philippe's story, but one to motivate others. I have already had one client send the story to a friend just recovering from a stroke. The story gets even more miraculous when the boat's safety became an issue in bad seas. It adds a sense of tension and adventure that turns the story into a nail-biter. But spoiler alert: the vessel and crew arrived safely in Horta yesterday so the story thankfully has a very happy and successful ending.

I just sent this to a friend who actually was a pioneer in HGTV, he had the first camera, which was huge and expensive at the time, Brian Green. He is doing a series called Ferrari Mad for Netflix, if it airs look for us with the F40 among others at interesting home and some Tail of the Dragon footage. I'll follow up with a phone call.

One question: Did he travel with a shepard boat?

Spoiler alert!! Don't read past this unless you want to know......

The issue was a prop entanglement that left them drifting for a few days waiting for conditions to calm enough to safely dive the boat. They elected not to try the wing engine for fear of entangling that too.

Linking back to another discussion here on TF over the past week about detecting hazards at sea, this is a perfect example of the calculated risk that you face in any passage. I actually know a surprising number of people who have gotten entangled in nets. But all got themselves free, and continued on.

Spoiler alert!! Don't read past this unless you want to know......

The issue was a prop entanglement that left them drifting for a few days waiting for conditions to calm enough to safely dive the boat. They elected not to try the wing engine for fear of entangling that too.

Linking back to another discussion here on TF over the past week about detecting hazards at sea, this is a perfect example of the calculated risk that you face in any passage. I actually know a surprising number of people who have gotten entangled in nets. But all got themselves free, and continued on.

Interesting. A twin would have likely been similarly dead-in-water. A Seakeeper would have helped stabilize as would paravanes. I carry robust flopper-stoppers that may have helped, but no idea how long they'd last in open-ocean conditions.

Sounds like a perfect application for a mild drogue to control direction. Based on some feedback in a thread several months ago, I was going to put a Burke Seabrake aboard. Not really for storm conditions, more to control drift and buy time for repairs.

https://www.burkemarine.com.au/pages/seabrake

I'll be eager to hear the rest of the story.....

Peter

Agree. I’ve also concluded that for long duration, ocean passages, that both a drogue and a parachute are important safety gear.

I encountered one particular 4 day event where I wish I had a drogue. I did carry 100 yards of 1.5” diameter rope but didn’t want to trail it for fear of entanglement.

Interesting. A twin would have likely been similarly dead-in-water. A Seakeeper would have helped stabilize as would paravanes. I carry robust flopper-stoppers that may have helped, but no idea how long they'd last in open-ocean conditions.

Paravanes were his problem. That's what got entangled in his prop. They were installed at the last minute.

Being prepared to go in the water if necessary is a good point.

I know a guy who wrapped up one of his in a killer whale in a N40. Apparently the whale got untangled very quickly and was fine.

I have never used paravanes and having trouble visualizing how those would make it all the way down to the prop?

I have never used paravanes and having trouble visualizing how those would make it all the way down to the prop?

I have used them on several boats. I too have a hard time imagining how one foiled the prop. Maybe a retrieval line or something? Amazing how unexpected stuff ruins a good plan.

I'll be eager to hear the full story.

Peter

Paravanes were his problem. That's what got entangled in his prop. They were installed at the last minute.

I'm not sure where you are getting that from. The paravanes were in place on the sea trial and survey before Philippe purchased the boat. There was an issue with mast failure that caused the secondary issue of the paravanes complicating the situation; and then the line from the paravane got tangled in the prop.

I was hoping to provide detailed facts in sequential order rather than bits and pieces of information, but will chime in with corrections when needed.

Back
Top Bottom