norcold fridge inserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silentfaith

hi ,i have a Norcold AC/DC 7 cubic ft that is all black. i want to install stainless steele incerts on the doors so it is not so ugly but i don't think the company has them. does anyone know ? is there another way to do that? kindly.

If your black inserts can be removed you can take them to a local sheet metal shop and have them duplicated in SS.

Check Home Depot and Lowes for stainless steel backsplashes which can be cut to size. Possibly less expensive than the fabrication shop.

SS is passe ,very yesterday it shows too much surface marks like fingerprints.

SS colored formica ?

wow yea buddy,,,,i like the formica idea. i will see if the fridge inserts can be removed today.

SS colored formica ?

Never thought of that. Ss looks good but you are correct, a pita to keep looking clean.

DUCT TAPE!

FIXES ANYTHING.....We called it Wisconsin "CHROME"

Fridge.jpg

SS colored formica ?

FF, sometimes I wonder if your boat says "Winnebago" on the side!

"FF, sometimes I wonder if your boat says "Winnebago" on the side!"

Nope it sez LUCY, bow and stern , commercial requirement.

I believe RV gear is frequently superior to yachty stuff because 1000 to 10,000 times as much RV gear is made every year.

The volume and competition lowers price from "boat buck" and frequently is vastly better equipment.

A Fantastic DC vent fan is 3 silent speeds and very efficient.
It will function with a thermostat and close automatically in rain.

A RV toilet will use 1/2 to 1 pint to flush , no electric (besides FW ) required
which extends a boats pump out requirements perhaps by 20 to 30 times less often.

A propane fridge does not require daily noisemaker hours , or kill house batt sets with regularity.

20 lb bottle $9.00 here in CT , lasts a month.

AN RV rooftop air cond works very well with dockside low voltage and can be changed out cheaper than a yacht air cond service call.

Both boats and RV have the same desires for comfort for the owners , just RV are willing to spend the research bucks to make superior products.

Last edited:
I agree FF.....

For just a few things, marine standards are necessary.for "hotel" services...many RV and marine items are the same with different labels and prices.

Each needs a careful review to see if it will meet your needs and be safe...and that I see as one of the most useful purposes of a forum like this.to hash oUT what works and doesnt.for those on a tight budget or enjoy a better setup for thinking outside the box.

Absolutely FF.

The bride and I came from an RV background and found boating was identical to RV'ing in every way except the equipment sucked comparatively speaking. Mention that on a boating forum and the folks who think calling their vessel a motor yacht on the VHF is pretentious suddenly turn all Thurston Howell the 3rd on you.

Absolutely FF.

The bride and I came from an RV background and found boating was identical to RV'ing in every way except the equipment sucked comparatively speaking. Mention that on a boating forum and the folks who think calling their vessel a motor yacht on the VHF is pretentious suddenly turn all Thurston Howell the 3rd on you.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

But hey...if I had the money...the boat would be textbook boat catalog or totally custom.

Let us know how you got the old ones out. The PO did art work on mine and it needs updating.

I just pulled the teak panel from my 3.1 cu ft Norcold. First I removed the door, then I removed the screws in the trim pieces on the top and bottom of the door. The non-hinged side trim piece slipped out, revealing the channel opening that holds the wood panel. With a little persuasion, the teak panel slid right out.

Let us know how you got the old ones out. The PO did art work on mine and it needs updating.

If you own a norcold fridge with removeable door panels, the instructions on removing the door panel and reversing the door are in the front of the owners manual. If you don't have the manual, it can be downloaded for free from Norcold Support:

Download RV Product Manuals | Support Portal | Thetford

If you choose wood, Lowes and Home Depot carry wood veneer in several different wood species and in the proper thickness, stain, oiled or varnished to your taste. It's usually found in their molding department. Stainless is also a nice option as stated below.

We replaced the black panel on the freezer with a photograph (blown up to size at Costco) sandwiched between two clear plastic panels (TAP plastics). It's been awhile but I don't recall it being difficult at all.

Good luck!

I was looking for white inserts, to match the rest of the galley. I found 4'x8' sheets in the right thickness at Home Depot or Lowes (forget which), and they even cut them to size for me on that big saw they have.

Here's the best part: the material I ended up buying is whiteboard material. Now I can jot notes on the fridge, like the times of tide, phone numbers, etc.

We thought about having a sign shop make up a stick-on vinyl logo to match the one next to the name on the transom, but now I'm starting to like the plain white.

Back
Top Bottom