Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

noob with a lot of questions sry :/

Hey guys new to the forum excuse me if theres a topic about this already and im sure you get this all the time, i apologize in advance. Now that being said ive lived in illinois my whole life and hate it. I dont like the cold scenery is very old and well.....i want to see whats out there. Heres my questions i was originally thinkin house boat but i want something more sea worthy so im going towards a trawler. I have a gf and am looking to spend about 40k on one. I want it to be sea worthy and safe with fuel eff., and comfort coming close after that. Can you point me in the right direction. Im very green at the hole live aboard thing but think i would abs. Love it. Be easy guys like i said im new lol

Justin
justinclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
There's a guy in our marina with a 40' trawler for sale for a little over $40K.... its got twin Perkins 135's diesels. If you're interested I can send you the fellows email address.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #3

Think i want a single diesel powered buddy, think bein the key work. Decently fuel effecient. But able to slice through decent waves. Im not looking for a huge mansion. I will be mostly doing coast cruising, then maybe a trip to the bahamas, this being why i want something thats not throwin me around too terrible in ten foot waves if this situation arises.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. Justin. To heck with what YOU want. What does the GF think about the whole idea? Sometimes a GF and a boat are two mutually EXCLUSIVE events. The boat aside, what are your realistic desires? Areas to move to (I've been to Illinois, I know your pain....)? How are you going to make a living? Sorry to be so blunt but I would suggest KISS and a realistic expectation. Living aboard sounds romantic BUT there's a BIG difference between it and dirt living.
There are a plethora of boat choices and a decision may well be based on, not so much price, but logistics.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
If you are planning on running in 10' seas with a single engine trawler....you might want to rethink your plans. I would never want to run in those sea with less than two engines. I would prudently avoid 10' seas, especially in the Gulf of Mexico where the wave interval is a little to close and would likely cause severe slamming....not cutting waves.

Nor would I wish to be in those seas in a 40' boat. Ours is 44' with twin diesels...and I've been there and done it...no fun.

What you are probably looking for is a boat that will stay inshore or in the ICW.

$40K won't buy a whole lot.... But, aside from the fact that Perkins 135's are very fuel efficient.... I have those engines.... I would never venture off shore with a single engine. I know others do it, and for them that is fine.... me I prefer the safety factor to get home if one engine decides to take a break.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #6

Ok so i need twins, how much more uneffecient are the twins, with twins is 5 to 6 gph attainable?? Or am i way off??? Like i said most of my research has been on my own so if something i say comes off odd please feel free and please do correct me as this will be our home for awile. And for the cooling does yhe fresh water recirculate like an auto? " im a auto mechanic" or does the fresh water cooling have to be resupplied every tank??
Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Not so fast Mr. Justin. You don't necessarily "need" twins. What so you want the boat to do? Coastal/ Bahamas cruising don't necessarily mean any specific engine/hull configuration.
Yes, essentially coolant does circulate like an auto with a heat exchanger in place of the rad. Rather than air (rad) removing the heat generated from the engine, water via various plumbing adaptations keeps your engine cool through a heat exchanger (look up marine heat exchangers).
A single operated in a moderate manner will return in the neighborhood of 2gph- 3gph and a twin about 3gph-6gph.
Again, is the GF on board?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

Mainly yes coastal cruising, i want to explore the coastlines. And i almost got the gf talked into it. I just want to be safe ya know?? And thats pretty fuel effiecient. Thanks for your replys too.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Too bad you are not around our neck of the water cause there are always boats on kijji that are in your price range and sea-worthy.

http://newfoundland.kijiji.ca/c-cars...otorboats-1989

For some reason the actual boat will not come up on this url

Elwin
Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: -
When you say "coastlines" what coastlines do you mean? Eastern Seaboard, New England/Canadian Maritimes, Gulf Coast, southwest coast, Pacific northwest, BC, SE Alaska? Some combination of the above? Lotta different coasts and each one can pose different preferences in terms of an ideal boat for the area.

RTF is spot on (again, you need to stop that RTF) in saying that you don't HAVE to have twins, just as you don't HAVE to have a single. Twins and singles both have their advantages and disadvantages on top of which personal preference plays a major if not THE major role.

As a single data point for you we have a twin and at our cruising rpm we burn a total of between 5 and 6 gallons an hour which gives us 8 knots. The single engine version of the same boat (with the same engine) will burn a little more than half that amount to go the same speed.

As JAT said, $40k is a pretty small budget for a cruising boat of the type most of us on this forum have. Not that you can't get a decent boat for $40k. But it's most likely not going to be something you'd want to venture too far from shore in unless it's a junker larger boat and you put $80k into fixing it up.

You need to define what you want to do pretty thoroughly, and in a fair amount of detail before you can start narrowing down the "what kind of boat" list. Once you know realistically what you want to do you can start figuring out what sorts of boats are best suited for doing it.

Most of us can list makes and models of boats that can be had in fair to excellent condition for $40k but I don't think they'll be what you are currently envisioning. They will be great for coastal or river cruising, however. The one I tend to point to when hearing this sort of query is the Tollycraft 26. A single gas engine unless it's been repowered with a diesel, well built, can go pretty fast, and it's reasonably efficient for the kind of power it has. I've put a photo of one at the bottom. Other people can suggest other boats with good reputations in that price range.

Don't forget that buying the boat is just the beginning. There are annual ownership costs to consider, too. Ownership costs are everything except finance payments if you finance the boat. So moorage, insurance, fuel, maintenance, repair, and upgrade costs--- basically anything you have to fork out money for to continue to own and operate the boat.

While some will argue this, and it does depend on the age and condition of the boat you buy, a rough rule of thumb that if nothing else is useful for figuring out what you can afford to do and what you can't is to figure on ten percent of the purchase price of the boat for annual ownership costs every year you own the boat.

Now some years it may be a lot less, although moorage, fuel, and insurance costs are consistent. But some years you may need no repairs and minimal maintenance. Other years you may have to replace a shaft or engine mounts or install a new exhaust system or you decided you need a new radar or a radar period if you don't have one. So the ownership costs for that year can far exceed ten percent of the purchase price.

But over time, that ten percent of the purchase price per year seems to be accurate enough that you can use it to determine of owning a particular boat is within the budget.

So a $40k boat will cost you perhaps $4k a year to own and operate. It will be different for every boat, of course, but it's a safe number to use at the outset when determining what's realistically possible and what isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Tolly26.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #11

It will probably be around the florida area for most of its life with trips up the eastern coast, and hopefully maybe a bahamas trip or the big loop. I know im being vague to say the least, but im super excited to start "exploring" the coastlines im sick of being surronded by land!!!! Ahhhhh!!!! And i plan on paying cash for the boat. I currently get paid shit but am slowly putting money back bc my dream is water and warmer weather. I know florida is gettin pounded right now. Are most harbors able to block some of the "hit" ?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

I don't boat in that area but from what I have read here and other places you might want to solicit comments on the importance of on-board air conditioning in that area. From what I understand it can impose some specific power requirements if you determine you want it and it's another maintenance item on the boat.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinclay View Post
**** And i almost got the gf talked into it. ****
IMHO you had best decide whether she is a keeper or not because it sounds to me like its her or the boat of your dreams.

Any woman that is "almost talked into" living aboard is unlikely to embrace the sea.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #14

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Spend a few days reading throught the forum, it is a great way to begin to learn. Florida is fine 5-10 mph winds here in Jacksonville???
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #15

If she dosent ill go alone and find somebody who will embrace my adventure. I love her to death but i honestly feel the live aboard lifestyle is what i was destined for. Are you guys laidback enough to let a noob like me go on a cruise with you guys for a day to check it out?? Is that somethin i can ask someone down there or would that be too outgoing??
Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
justinclay,

Our old Datenight is for sale in Mystic, CT for just under $40,000. We owned it for 15 seasons and completely re-did it. New wiring, plumbing, interior, paint, new stringers, removed fuel tanks, sandblasted and epoxy coated them, custom stainless dual roller pulpit, interior lighting led, Indel refrigeration, stripped and barrier coated bottom ablative paint etc., etc., etc. Bought it for $20,000 and made the $80,000. investment so you don't have to! Oh, single 6-354 160 H.P. Perkins.

1979 SKYLINE 37 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I have no interest in this boat other than knowing whoever buys it will get a good boat at a very good price.

Rob
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
It looks as if we are going to need a new permanent heading entitled "ADVICE TO THE LOVELORN".
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

What you might check into is a charter in the area you're interested in. Usually charters are for increments of a week but I believe some places might offer two or three day charters. Since you have no experience (I assume) I doubt any charter company will let you go on your own but many of them offer skippered charters as well as bareboat charters. Could be a good way to find out (and for your girlfriend to find out) if this sort of thing is really something you want to commit to.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #19

Youre right my experience is weak at best. Being mechanically inclined j personally feel that if somethin were to happen i could either fix it or doctor it till i get to a slip. Yes i know boat mechanics are very different then auto but understress i feel i could holt the situation at least. I think we need to take a trip down there and go for a cpl cruises or rides/tag alongs. But anyways am i atleast in the general right area of boat type for my needs?? Trawler i mean.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

Depends on how you define "trawler." Some wouldn't consider the Tolly 26 I mentioned to be a "trawler" as it's a semi-planing boat that can go pretty quick. Others would. It's kind of a meaningless term anymore because everybody applies it to just about everything other than a submarine. And everybody has their own definition. Bayiners didn't used to be considered "trawlers' but these days they are by a lot of people.

To me a trawler is a boat that uses trawl gear for fishing, so in my mind NONE of the boats owned by the people on this forum are "trawlers" including ours. I call them cruisers, or diesel cruisers, which is what American Marine called their Grand Banks line of boats.

But "trawler" started being used as a marketing term for a certain type of recreational boat and over the years that type description has expanded to include damn near everything. So sure, a "trawler" is what you're looking for, but understand that "trawler" today includes everything from Don Moon's 20-plus knot Sabre to Mark Pierce's steel displacement, sail-assisted Coot, to our pathetically-plodding Grand Banks.