No sleep tonight.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its the great thing about having superior anchoring gear.
Confidence

After several years putting it to the test I don't even wake up at night when 40+ belts in, so the wife tells me.

Very true! Rocna and all chain rode baby.

Crusty had a "claw" anchor....

Very true! Rocna and all chain rode baby.

Crusty had a "claw" anchor....

I've anchored where you and John were a couple times when the docks were full. I didn't like the setup but got away with it. As I recall it's about 50' - 60', the bottom is hard, and when the wind comes up through that valley to the south, it's a bad situation.

I asked the harbormaster about the best places to anchor around there and he pointed across the bay to a very narrow slot called Kakushdish harbor, known locally as Gull Chuck. Shallow, soft bottom, good coverage from all winds. That's where I'm going in the future if the docks are full.

Staring at your plotter, radar & glimmer of beach where the spotlight hits can get a little stressful. One of my least favorite moments on a boat is that period of time when you see a small ripple turn to heavier chop and the sound of the wind turns a low hum through your mast to a high pitched howl. Please no...please no...damn...here we go again. Glad to see you made it through the night OK. Guessing since you were able to post to the forum it must not have been too terrible!

As we prepare to close on our first boat, not all that far from Garrison Bay...I'm thinking I will not show this thread to my wife:D.

I've anchored where you and John were a couple times when the docks were full. I didn't like the setup but got away with it. As I recall it's about 50' - 60', the bottom is hard, and when the wind comes up through that valley to the south, it's a bad situation.

I asked the harbormaster about the best places to anchor around there and he pointed across the bay to a very narrow slot called Kakushdish harbor, known locally as Gull Chuck. Shallow, soft bottom, good coverage from all winds. That's where I'm going in the future if the docks are full.

That's interesting. I will have to check it out. Looking at a map, it is only around the corner from Shearwater.

I have not had any issues with anchoring in Shearwater. I just make sure I am set really good

I've used Kakushdish a few times. Pretty good protection, and in just the right spot can get cell coverage.

Might be a better choice than near the marina. Last time I anchored there (about 300 yards ENE of the marina's T dock) the anchor got caught on something on the bottom. Pulled in every possible direction for 30-40 minutes before it finally came free.

I've used Kakushdish a few times. Pretty good protection, and in just the right spot can get cell coverage.

Might be a better choice than near the marina. Last time I anchored there (about 300 yards ENE of the marina's T dock) the anchor got caught on something on the bottom. Pulled in every possible direction for 30-40 minutes before it finally came free.

Richard, Are you still considering going north this season if the virus situation improves? We've scrapped our plans for this year.

Hi Ken,

I sure would like to head north if that becomes possible. Currently on the boat in Poulsbo, slowly making progress on my chores list. Seems like I may be here for a while.

Since we're sharing, I have a bunch, but this one is particularly funny....

I had anchored in a local around 9:30pm on a Friday night. It was a glassy night. I notice a boat (express cruiser) facing in the wrong way, but it's flat so I assume the boats are just a little 'confused'.

A short time later, I swear I think the boat has moved. I grab another drink and sure enough, the boat is now past me.

I jump in the dinghy, and go to tell him he's dragging. I go past the bow and there is an anchor in the pulpit. There are no lines hanging from anywhere. I can see candle light coming from the cabin. I start banging on the hull from the dinghy and shouting greetings........nothing. I continue doing this and there is no response, no noise and nobody in the cockpit.

I finally get to the back of the boat and a guy pops-up (I think they had converted the cockpit seating into a bed and were canoodling) I explain that it looks like he might be dragging anchor. His reply was priceless, he says "I'm not anchored".

Now I'm confused because, while he's telling the truth, I'm like WTF??? I repeat, "Hey man, you're drifting through the anchorage". He says again, "I'm not in the anchorage, I'm in the mooring field". I say again, "Sorry, you're in the anchorage". Back again, "No I'm not!! I'm on a mooring!!!"

Finally, I have to explain "Hey bud, the mooring field is over there (pointing). This is the anchorage (pointing), and THAT is the beach (pointing, though not sure why it's dark) and this is the last row of boats before you're on the beach. You are absolutely underway, I don't see any lines tied to any cleats, and in about 5 minutes you're going to be on the beach. Can I give you a hand with anything?"

He looks around panicked and confused, then flustered he replies "Oh, thanks........no I'm all set". Fires up the boat and heads back to the mooring field.

That was a good story.
Both times. LOL

We were anchored in our old 34 Mainship in West Neck Harbor (Shelter Island, NY) in probably a 25 know wind. light drizzle. Anchorage is tight.
So I just got out of the shower and wife yells for me to come into the cockpit (I'm in my skivvys).
26 ft Sea Ray ahead of us drifted back and it's anchor flukes are caught on our nylon rode. Their boat starts almost banging into ours at the cockpit.
The couple are sitting in their cockpit nice and dry and aren't doing anything but watching.
Of course we both scream at them to do something and they just sit there.
So I'm standing on our gunnel and pushing them off us but they keep swinging back quickly because their anchor is caught.
after about 3 repetitions of that and they still don't do anything. I figure Ill give one really hard push to gibe me time to go get a knife to cut their line.
So at that same moment, my wife who was on our bow trying to remove their anchor...
She finally has success so my last push made their boat really move away.
I had no choice but to hand on their bow rail, clear my boat and drop into the drink. (I was pi$$ed needless to say)

The other boat crew finally left the helm and went to retrieve their gear and re anchored.
Their boat name...."Drifting Away".

Last edited:
".....and were canoodling"

Well, that it explains it all.....he was distracted! Who has time for proper boat procedures with there are other pressing matters??

So is there a lot of swing room? Out by the marina I do get good cell service with my booster.

Richard, Are you still considering going north this season if the virus situation improves? We've scrapped our plans for this year.

I with you Richard. If the open, we shall go. Not sure how far north, but north it shall be.

So is there a lot of swing room? Out by the marina I do get good cell service with my booster.

I with you Richard. If the open, we shall go. Not sure how far north, but north it shall be.
Sure, adequate swing room. After you enter through the narrow channel, it opens up. If you drop the hook where you can see out the narrow channel, you should get cell svc.

Sure, adequate swing room. After you enter through the narrow channel, it opens up. If you drop the hook where you can see out the narrow channel, you should get cell svc.

There is the issue, cell service. Shearwater is one of just a few places that has cell service. Heading north Klemtoo, Hartley Bay (only briefly) and Prince Rupert are it. So by the time we get to Shearwater she wants to talk to her kids after being off grid.

We were new to our boat, a GB36, which we had purchased two weeks before. We were going from Pearl Harbor to Kaneohe. We anchored on a small shelf off of Hanauma Bay, just outside of the Marine Preserve. 20' of water, short scope, rocks to the North. 30 feet of chain and 5/8" woven rode. Just getting dark. 6 of us went into the water for some fish, just outside of the Preserve. I finished up, found the anchor, followed chain to anchor line, followed until I find a frayed end of anchor line . . . Now I'M FRAYED! Wife was on board with our 4 kids. Neighbor on board with his 3 kids.

Anyway, I surfaced, first looked to the rocks for boat/debris . . . nothing, then turned and looked offshore . . . There she was, about 1/4 mile off shore! I kid her and say she was TWO Miles, but really about 1/4 mile. I waved my light back and forth, started swimming toward boat, she came and picked me up. Then we went in and picked up the rest of the divers. She had been on the stern of the boat, heard loud noise from the bow, she went forward, didn't see anything, turned around, and then realized "She didn't see anything!" The anchor line was no longer going out over the bow! It had broken. I had just run her through engine starting etc, a few days prior . . . She had never handled the boat before. She started it up and did exactly the smartest thing, get away from land! Anyway, the line looked just fine, but apparently, age unknown, it was compromised. That was the last time I've ever trusted an anchor line from the PO. Went out next week and bought 90' of 3/8" chain and 240 feet of 3/4" line to replace old anchor line!

We were new to our boat, a GB36, which we had purchased two weeks before. We were going from Pearl Harbor to Kaneohe. We anchored on a small shelf off of Hanauma Bay, just outside of the Marine Preserve. 20' of water, short scope, rocks to the North. 30 feet of chain and 5/8" woven rode. ..... Anyway, the line looked just fine, but apparently, age unknown, it was compromised. That was the last time I've ever trusted an anchor line from the PO. Went out next week and bought 90' of 3/8" chain and 240 feet of 3/4" line to replace old anchor line!

From the words "woven line" I expected what happened. That was likely a polypropylene line, as no other would be described as "woven". I once owned a Sportyak dinghy. It came with poly for its painter. One day I had exactly what you described happen, but the result was a move up to a fibreglass dinghy with a nylon braid painter. I have used poly at home for tarp tie downs. It lasts pretty well for the first summer, but never into a second. UV degradation kills it in less than a year, even here in BC at latitude 49 and higher. It should not be allowed on board.

Back in the 80's we stayed one night in Shallow Bay on the north side of Sucia Island. When we went to bed it was dead calm. After dark the wind started blowing out of the south, over the top of Sucia, and right into the bay. I stood watch all night on the bridge of our 26 Tolly we had at the time. When daylight came there were two big sailboats on the beach. Not sure how they got them off. I thought for sure we would have been protected in that bay from any wind from the south.

Wow, thank you for sharing that story. We often anchor in Shallow, usually try for a spot in the SW corner. I will be more cognizant of potential issues in the future now.

When the breeze picks a simple task is to rig the fenders , in daylight, for the midnight visitors.
Takes way less time to stow them compared to repainting a 40 ft gouge in the hull.

Good point!

When the breeze picks a simple task is to rig the fenders , in daylight, for the midnight visitors.
Takes way less time to stow them compared to repainting a 40 ft gouge in the hull.

huh. Until I didn't realize why all these folks did this at Montague Harbor. Now I know. Thank you.:eek::socool:

From the words "woven line" I expected what happened. That was likely a polypropylene line, as no other would be described as "woven". I once owned a Sportyak dinghy. It came with poly for its painter. One day I had exactly what you described happen, but the result was a move up to a fibreglass dinghy with a nylon braid painter. I have used poly at home for tarp tie downs. It lasts pretty well for the first summer, but never into a second. UV degradation kills it in less than a year, even here in BC at latitude 49 and higher. It should not be allowed on board.

Keith, actually I goofed there, it was 3 strand nylon, not "woven". Definitely NOT polypro.

The old line got repurposed in one off our art sculptures. See attached!:D

Attachments

• pelican 01.jpg
    pelican 01.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 37
I use yellow knoted poly with a small fender at the end as a 'granny line.'.... Swimmers can use it to pull themselves to the boat.

Peggie,

You may be lucky in your tale that the stupid, irresponsible sailboater didn't take your boat name as you were leaving then contact the authorities saying you hit his boat or in just pulling away that when he finally hit the shallows, say you pulled his anchor and that's why he hit.

Unfortunately, people like that will blame everyone else.

Good idea if you witness this occurring start the camera rolling as later proof of THEIR negligence.

Thanks for what you do also. Enjoy your expertise.

Well, Charles...it happened in 1994 or '95, long before everyone with a cell phone became a wannabe photojournalist...in fact, long before anyone HAD a cell phone...I didn't get my first one till 2010. And I was a bit too busy securing lines to even think of getting out my 35mm camera. As for "people like that"...from all indications he was just a very startled young novice sailor who prob'ly re-emerged full of curiosity once he recovered from the shock, only to find we'd left.

Thanks for the compliment!

--Peggie

Several years ago I was anchored out at Camano Island. Just a small nook in the shore line, fairly deep close to shore. Just before dark a old steel tug of about 40 feet came in and anchored up stream from me. There was a man and a women on board. We were asleep in the v-births when this god awful sound woke me. It was coming from the other side of the hull, right where I was sleeping. Banging and this very loud screeching noise. Bolted out of bed to find the tug had drifted into us and the tires he had mounted around the bow were rubbing up and down against our boat. They were asleep below so I got my boat hook and started pounding on their boat to wake them. To make things worse our anchor lines were tangled together. Took awhile to get separated and he left in the dark for parts unknown. I the morning I could see some large black marks he left behind. Never saw him again.
What is the etiquette by the way when the other boat Has dragged and is banging against your rub rail. Assuming no neighbors what’s wrong with a blast of the horn

"Went out next week and bought 90' of 3/8" chain and 240 feet of 3/4" line to replace old anchor line!" # 45

The hassle with heavy line is nylon only begins to stretch at about 10% of its breaking load. This places higher loads on the anchor , and makes the ride aboard rougher .

What is the etiquette by the way when the other boat Has dragged and is banging against your rub rail. Assuming no neighbors what’s wrong with a blast of the horn

That probably would have worked too. Just did the first thing I thought of.

"Went out next week and bought 90' of 3/8" chain and 240 feet of 3/4" line to replace old anchor line!" # 45

The hassle with heavy line is nylon only begins to stretch at about 10% of its breaking load. This places higher loads on the anchor , and makes the ride aboard rougher .

Nylon stretches some at lower loads, it's just not a lot. But at lower loads with a decent bit of chain weight, you also won't have pulled the chain tight yet, so the overall system still has enough give. For example, the best data I could find was on Yale 8 plait nylon. It looks like they show it stretches 1% at about 2% load. 4% load is 2%, 6% is 3%, staying pretty much linear up to the 20% working load limit and 10% stretch.

So with 100 feet of 3/4" nylon out (17,000 lbs breaking strength), 340 lbs would be enough to stretch it a foot. And at a decent scope where you're not lifting straight up, that's not enough to tighten 90 feet of 3/8" chain. However, with oversize nylon it may be desirable to use a smaller snubber for more stretch if you don't have a lot of line out. But in my mind, that's a small price to pay for extra strength / durability under bad conditions.

Back
Top Bottom