No more double black diamonds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boathealer

Guru
Vessel Name
--
Vessel Make
Between boats
Guess we don't have to remember "diamonds are a girls best friend" anymore...LOL

The barge DID have the correct symbols, BTW.

Attachments

• 20210330_195748.jpg
    20210330_195748.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 205
I think I see balls and diamonds near the railings where the pilothouse is.

I think I see balls and diamonds near the railings where the pilothouse is.

Yep. I said they had the correct designators...

I was using the barge as a teaching moment to educate my wife to look for the double black diamonds. She said, while looking through the binoculars, "there's a sign that just says go around this way". I said, "what are you taking about"!?!

Just funny.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331-090254_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210331-090254_Chrome.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 23
OK.... hard to see whether the whole rig is a self propelled barge or a barge with a pusher tug. The only reason why I mentioned it...they are hard to see on that rig.

I have seen similar signs on a lot of smaller dredges, usually the ones doing canals and marinas...not so much on larger vessels doing commercial waterways. Not quite sure why but for the average boater or boaters without radios, etc....it's a good idea to keep useless traffic off the radio. I think the smaller outfits do it because the tug/wheelhouse isn't always manned like it probably is supposed to be.

Greetings,
I'm thinking that the majority of boaters don't know the day signals so it's in "plain" language and as Mr. ps rightly notes, it "...keep(s) useless traffic off the radio."

I'd bet the sign is reversible. So that when they spin it you can read the words but the arrow in pointing in the other direction. A RTF mentioned, they probably got tired of recreational vessels blindly passing on either side.

I have to admit, you really have to be looking to see those double diamonds. In a head on passing and slightly Stbd to Stbd, you'd never see them and just assume he was indicating he was restricted in maneuverability, but not to avoid a specific side.

Dredges are rarely difficult to identify. For spotting balls/diamonds...binocs are /can be important.

Virtually all the time you see pipe and other vessels, even if only commercial looking skiffs with some kind of gear to work pipe.

So if you have no idea what a dredge is or looks like, then yes you at a serious disadvantage. With some idea, I would hope you are looking for the balls or diamonds, or in what direction the pipe is likely to head, fr the "gate" in the pipe is all else fails or last resort, stop and ask which side.

If one has no idea, one of those little skiffs or tugs is usually running around to warn of the unaware.

Yep, people do hit the pipes, with usually a worse situation for the boat than the pipe.

This all goes back to the arguments about experience. One might boat for years and never come across a dredge....it's what one does when in doubt that really counts.

We have a sand dredge almost permanent moored at our marina entrance.

They also have recently added a "pass on this side" sign, although they still have the double diamonds and ball/diamonds. Anything to help avoid having their pipework damaged by a new boater with a deep keel helps.

It helps if the dredge actually uses green lights instead of yellow bug bulbs like the dredge that often works Cape May Harbor. The guy in the pilot house voice carries 1/2 mile minimum. Harsh language is standard. Lol

Back
Top Bottom