No Discharge Zone in Puget Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The cities dumping millions of gallons of raw sewage has more chance of damaging the environment than a few recreational boaters. That reality.

I completely agree with you in that the municipal spills are much more significant than any treated discharge from boats with treatment systems. Even more consider the poorly maintained septic systems that rim the sound, or the agricultural runoff that flows into the Sound.

I wonder if I could buy a used ElectraSan system cheap in the next few months...

As of 2012 recreational vessels in BC must have holding tanks. They can be dumped in salt water but only if 3 or miles from shore. Lots of regs in BC covering boat discharges, but easier to manage because water is bigger. And, unlike Puget Sound, flushing occurs from two ends. BC is just a different situation, with smarter regulators. BC boaters IMHO are much better stewards of the waters and bays, in real world terms.

Dave: further to this and your comment, aside from the areas proximate to Vancouver and Victoria, most municipalities and marinas simply don’t have the infrastructure to service the boating community. Many of these are on septic systems.

I think the holding tank requirements in BC are reasonable and we pump out in areas outside of anchorages. I don’t really worry about whether I’m 3 miles offshore though. If I’m in the middle of Johnstone Strait, it’s impossible to be 3 miles off.

As of 2012 recreational vessels in BC must have holding tanks. They can be dumped in salt water but only if 3 or miles from shore. Lots of regs in BC covering boat discharges, but easier to manage because water is bigger. And, unlike Puget Sound, flushing occurs from two ends. BC is just a different situation, with smarter regulators. BC boaters IMHO are much better stewards of the waters and bays, in real world terms.
LOL. Boaters maybe, not municipalities eh? Vic BC dumps bazillions of gallons of raw sewage into the Strait every freaking day, you kidding me?:ermm:

I have an approved holding tank but, I can never find the sign that says, "You are 3 miles from shore."

LOL. Boaters maybe, not municipalities eh? Vic BC dumps bazillions of gallons of raw sewage into the Strait every freaking day, you kidding me?:ermm:

At least that is on track to being rectified. I believe they are already started construction on a treatment plant (or at least settled the NIMBY wars about its location).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom