Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
They work well Mate and you can get a blower power by batteries to blow it up. A little more $ but it is well worth it.

My wife and I have even slept on one up on the flybridge (and other things! ) So I would get a queen size!

Cheers Mate.

H.
TMI.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Just get drunk every night and go to sleep. Lots of people do it this way.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #23

City: MIAMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
Just get drunk every night and go to sleep. Lots of people do it this way.
I suppose that is probably the trick for all the fringe characters living on derelicts in the keys.
ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTF View Post
Why don't I see a single sedan layout with a bed up above where there's windows?

I understand most people don't want a bed in their living space, but as a single guy I wouldn't mind it. Most under 40' vberths look more suitable as closet/storage than a bedroom anyway.
The couch in our salon turns into a pull out bed. The factory put it there! It is not wasted on hot nights.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Sun covers that are wider than the boat and 3-4 ft off the deck are a great help in daytime.

At dusk run a pump and wash the decks and deck house to reduce the structure temperature to water temperature.

A fan (or a breeze) will allow sleeping in a warm cabin , if it can move a good amount of air.

The Fantastic fans do a great quiet job with low power .

A single solar would work to keep it happy. No solar? Some run on D cells if needed.

You might install a Goiot hatch which can be opened from either end with no changes to aid air flow.

Welcome to Fan-Tastic Vent!
Welcome to Fan-Tastic Vent!
Fan-Tastic manufactures built-in and portable vents for use in RVs. Photos, features, specifications, installation instructions, FAQ, and vendors.‎Retail Products
· ‎Technical Information
· ‎12 Volt Fans
· ‎OEM Products

HATCHES – GOIOT-SYSTEMS
goiot-systems.com/hatches/
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #26
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
I can handle that, I do it regularly even in the summer. The difference is I have 4x6ft windows.

I understand I can run an AC off a generator, but I imagine that would be both costly and annoying.

Close the windows, except for one, maybe 3" open. Turn off your overhead fan, and use only two small portable battery (not AC) fans. See if that works.

If close, then there are maybe ways to route air better into a specific stateroom, better fans, etc... but if not close, those improvements may not ring your chimes.

In any case, I suspect you'd want a boat with built-in AC and genset anyway, genset being useful to living on the hook for battery charging, etc. You could likely augment with solar and/or a (often noisy) wind generator, but whether that could be sufficient would depend on your energy budget.

Gensets are subject to the "use it or lose it" law of the universe, but at least having one would give you more control over whatever options you discover you need.

And that'd give you Diver's option, to run the genset in the evening (charging batteries, making hot water, etc.) to turn the stateroom into an icebox befire shutting down for the night.

-Chris
Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #27

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Strongly considering buying a 34-40ft trawler to live on the hook in South FL / Keys. A top concern is how hot it would be inside the sleeping quarters in particular? I live in a waterfront bungalow in Miami now, and basically only use the AC in June thru Sept, so I'm quite tolerant as long as I have a ceiling fan & window breeze. But perusing trawler photo's online, I notice that the sleeping quarters are always down below with only a few tiny ports for ventilation. I just imagine it'd be like trying to sleep in a sauna. Am I wrong?
A 34'-40' trawler for sale in FL will have a 85% chance at having working A/C installed.

I have a RV rooftop unit installed and while noisy it works well. I also have a portable unit in the Berth vented under the bed(outside). I also like that it doesn't have to be plumbed to a thru hull(with a small chance @ failure/sinking) and don't have to deal with clogged intakes.

I get to the boat, open windows for venting, close up, run A/C and keep it on until I leave(even while running unless its early/late). My Genset runs as long as i'm not on shore power.

Simply put buy one with an A/C.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #28
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
No idea where your bungalo is in Miami, but once anchored, you will pick up more mosquitoes and no-see-ums. Are you on a ground floor or 30 flights up?
In any case, sleeping well with no AC in June-July-August is a challenge S of 27 deg Lat.

I've tried this in 23 CC, 27 small cabin, and 32' small cabin, no A/C on any. Anchored out always. Maybe 300 nights +/- mostly in Bahamas. I wish I kept a log. In JJA, the prevailing wind is light from SE. On the comfortable nights, a fan directly on you tends to work fairly well on those 90 deg, 90% RH nights.
The entire concept of natural ventilation down there has a couple of fundamental issues you need to get a handle on. First, no-see-ums. At SS and SR, they will be bad with low wind conditions. Mosquito screen does not stop them. You need a finer mesh, one that will block them. Unfortunately, it also blocks near 75% of any existing breeze. On the worst nights, once you get the breeze chute and mesh filters set up, it will thunderstorm for 30 minutes, unleashing 1/2" of water and 25kts winds into/onto your venting system. But, this will happen only about 25% of the nights.
If there is a good breeze, fairly rare in J-J-A, there will still be mosquitoes all night. At dusk, its button up time. All the way until after the no-see-ums go away at decent light.
But all that is doable; what is more difficult is the managment of wet, salty bedding and linens. Nothing drys when salty, so plan on using a lot of FW to manage that, with quick sun drying during the day. But, you need to get them salt free first.

Its all good and definately worth it!
Oh, on the getting drunk thing at bed time. Not my style really, but a number of hard core fisherman friends of mine do that and then stay anchored on the reef all night in a 25', miles from land. It does solve the bug issue, but things can get very exciting when a summer thunder boomer comes around, and they do.
I've lost count how many times I've wandered around at night in the shallows looking for a tenable anchorance after winds either change direction, or get strong due to storms.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #29

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
If you're into being miserable at night with no A/C in S. FL. just go get a sailboat. Besides the sailboats have better through ventilation than a trawler. Many sailors do it all summer throughout the Caribbean, Bahamas and S. FL. without having A/C!
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I get to the boat, open windows for venting, close up, run A/C and keep it on until I leave(even while running unless its early/late). My Genset runs as long as i'm not on shore power.
Everybody has different priorities & tolerances. Personally, that just strikes me as contrary to my (& many others) reasons for wanting to live on a boat (particularly on the hook) in the first place. Besides the cost and the noise, seems antithetical to seal myself off in a cold cocoon from the tropical environment I'm there to enjoy.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #31
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
If you're into being miserable at night with no A/C in S. FL. just go get a sailboat. Besides the sailboats have better through ventilation than a trawler. Many sailors do it all summer throughout the Caribbean, Bahamas and S. FL. without having A/C!
All sailors are crazy masochist. Sometimes they see the light and switch to trawlers with big generators and powerful air conditioners.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
just go get a sailboat....sailboats have better through ventilation than a trawler.
I have reasons for wanting a power boat, hence why I was trying to ascertain what trawler layout / sleeping arrangement would have the best ventilation.

I thought this was an interesting solution:

1984 Crealock-designed Europa style trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #33

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Why not look into a motor sailor such as the Seamaster 46'. Heck, this boat has 4 big vent hatches before you get to the rear of the salon. Any trawler that more resembles that of a sailboat would benefit from design features that allow for ventilation and air movement for some comfort during summer cruising. Most motor yachts are designed for A/C usage during summer heat. Do you intend on using solar, inverter and large battery banks for refrig, lights and other electrical needs? Still might need that genny for 3-4 hours during the day for re-charge while at anchor.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: CT
A proper designed DC setup would only need an hour of genny long as you put in at least some solar.

I totally agree about hating noise and loving open-air nature, ideal is lots of solar no genny at all, even if scaling back mod cons and sweating a bit.

But that's me, I guess ideal is having all the choices.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #35

Besides not knowing how to sail, I'll be single handing. Plus I wouldn't want to spend my entire life down in a dark sailboat cabin. Furthermore, I want something a max 4ft draft. The idea is to setup a liveaboard mothership with solar (but augmented by a generator), so I can migrate back & forth from Miami thru the keys, towing a 14-16 ft skiff for fishing. Then maybe down the line venture across to the bahamas or do the great loop.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
A proper designed DC setup would only need an hour of genny long as you put in at least some solar.
Yeah despite being one of the cheaper options out there, a Marine Trader DC has possibly the best ventilated sleeping quarters I've seen.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Everybody has different priorities & tolerances. Personally, that just strikes me as contrary to my (& many others) reasons for wanting to live on a boat (particularly on the hook) in the first place. Besides the cost and the noise, seems antithetical to seal myself off in a cold cocoon from the tropical environment I'm there to enjoy.
You had made up your mind already that you're tough and you can do it as you're dismissing any negative comments. I wouldn't live in South Florida without A/C, but then I wouldn't live in NYC without it either. And I wouldn't live on a boat in summer, anywhere on the gulf coast or east coast in summer without A/C. To each their own and you're determined to try it, so do so.

One word of caution. The reason you're seeing cheap boats in Florida without A/C is no one wants them. After you try it, then you'll be trying to sell the boat no one wants. What about cars? Do you drive a car without A/C? How do they sell in South Florida?

If your idea of tropical paradise is sweating all night in bed, then fine, but not ours. Understand you'll also be dealing with the humidity and moisture and often may find the sheets wet before you get into them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #38
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380

So here is my few month old daugher, 30 something wife, and one friend after a few days of 90/90 in a very remote anchorage, around 27 deg Lat in mid summer.

The friend got to sleep on the engine boxes, with vinyl foam cushions, the other 3 of us into the cabin with all openings screened. We had a 10 ft by 7 foot zippered piece of no-see-um screen from rear tower to deck, weighted down. Both cabin fans on all night. Fairly bearable, but note that the bedsheets will be wet at dawn due to sweat. They need to be aired out daily. Dealing with dirty diapers won't be your issue, just yet; that is another thread.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #39
FF
Guru

"but then I wouldn't live in NYC without it either."

In NYC the sea water temp even in Sept is modest, living comfortably is no big deal.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You had made up your mind already that you're tough and you can do it as you're dismissing any negative comments.

The reason you're seeing cheap boats in Florida without A/C is no one wants them.
A) Yes I already know I can handle Florida heat better than the avg individual, because I already do it. My neighbors run AC 24/7 365, I don't even turn mine on for 8 months out the year.

B) It's not that I'm seeing cheap boats without AC, I just know there's people that live without it, so I'm trying to ascertain the best layout to shop for.