Nexus for entry into Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon GB

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Raven
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
Has anyone used Nexus to enter Canada by boat this summer?

I have heard the system is backup and running. But I have not been north this year.

You’ll need to fill out the Arrive Canada App. Nexus won’t work by itself, if at all.

In June I was directed by an agent to go to one of the listed locations and report from there because “advanced reporting was temporarily suspended.” When I called in the wait was significant but the actual clearance conversation was fast and short. Make sure you use the ArriveCan app. I couldn’t tell if my Nexus status was any help.

If you and everyone on your boat do not currently have NEXUS cards you are probably way too late to acquire them this summer. I was told the wait time for interviews in Blaine, WA are in "many months".

Concur that you must use the Arrive Canada app to begin the reporting process.

If you and everyone on your boat do not currently have NEXUS cards you are probably way too late to acquire them this summer. I was told the wait time for interviews in Blaine, WA are in "many months".

Concur that you must use the Arrive Canada app to begin the reporting process.[/QUOTE

Way too late for this year.

In February 2022 we applied for Nexus, paid the price in $US for each of us, and we wait.
No offers yet of any appointment for the required interviews. The Canadian part of the Nexus program has not yet been restarted, so there are no interviews available on Canadian soil. Maybe......but for now, ArriveCan works very well.

Last edited:
I applied for NEXUS renewal over a year ago. Still haven’t see it. I was told to keep using my expired card as it had been granted a two year extension.

You still need to use ArriveCan app.

ArriveCAN. We were on hold for some time at Sydney a few weeks ago, but cleared fast once connected.

Remember 2 words for interview: galley liquor.

Worth noting that the ArriveCan app doesn't list some of the Nexus entry ports. They don't care what you select from what is available - could be the Yukon for all they care as the only point is so they have your Covid vaccination docs. Same with the address you enter in the app for where you'll be staying. Pick a bordello's address in Moose Jaw, again, they don't care when you're arriving by boat.

I Confirm this! We were spending a time on the gulf island, with no postal address so we use an address in Vancouver.
My neck is expired a year ago, I’m on the list to get it renewed but it could be a while they tell me.

My nexus has expired. I did apply for renewal in a timely manner. I received an emai that said my nexus was extended for two years.

Today I entered Canada. One month ago I was not able to select any of the nexus sites for entry, only the standard customs docks could be used. Today I was able to select Port Browning. I used Port Browning’s street address as my stay site. Called when I arrived and all went quick and smooth.

We just checked into Canada via NEXUS. Our destination was Port Browning BC.

After 25 minutes in hold I got a very surly agent who informed me the Can Arrive App had nothing to with checking in via NEXUS.

The only questions we’re the standard: any alcohol, tobacco, large amounts of cash on board and did we have covid symptoms. I replied that we have galley liquor and bar stock, both statements having been suggested by others, she wanted amounts.

Your results may vary.

We just checked into Canada via NEXUS. Our destination was Port Browning BC.

After 25 minutes in hold I got a very surly agent who informed me the Can Arrive App had nothing to with checking in via NEXUS.

The only questions we’re the standard: any alcohol, tobacco, large amounts of cash on board and did we have covid symptoms. I replied that we have galley liquor and bar stock, both statements having been suggested by others, she wanted amounts.

Your results may vary.

I like my bankers dumb snd trusting, and immigration officials ignorant of immigration law. "

CBSA has extended the ArriveCAN reporting requirements to include individuals on exempt travel and NEXUS members in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and its variants."

https://berardiimmigrationlaw.com/canada-border-services-agency-announces-changes-for-nexus-members/

Last edited:
Nord
The customs agent echoes this thread, NEXUS is of no use when entering Canada by boat. I’d guess they are a bit short tempered in this regard with entrance protocols well stated in the websites.

Also, I wasn’t aware Port Browning is a check in location

Nord
The customs agent echoes this thread, NEXUS is of no use when entering Canada by boat. I’d guess they are a bit short tempered in this regard with entrance protocols well stated in the websites.

Also, I wasn’t aware Port Browning is a check in location

This is not correct. Yesterday two boats left the USA for Port Browning BC Canada. The Nexus boat was cleared to travel directly to Port Browning. The non Nexus boat was directed to clear through Bidwell. Both boats cleared by phone. Both boats were required to tie to the dock before being cleared. The Nexus boat was able to travel directly to their berth in Port Browning before clearing. The non Nexus both needed to tie up to the customs dock at Bidwell before being cleared. Then was allowed to continue to Port Browning.

Nexus allows you to clear through a much larger list of ports and you can clear from your berth rather than from the customs dock.

The Arrive Can app makes things easier for Nexus, all you need to do is provide your registration number and your Arrive Can approval code. Everything else is already in their system.

This is not correct. Yesterday two boats left the USA for Port Browning BC Canada. The Nexus boat was cleared to travel directly to Port Browning. The non Nexus boat was directed to clear through Bidwell. Both boats cleared by phone. Both boats were required to tie to the dock before being cleared. The Nexus boat was able to travel directly to their berth in Port Browning before clearing. The non Nexus both needed to tie up to the customs dock at Bidwell before being cleared. Then was allowed to continue to Port Browning.

Nexus allows you to clear through a much larger list of ports and you can clear from your berth rather than from the customs dock.

The Arrive Can app makes things easier for Nexus, all you need to do is provide your registration number and your Arrive Can approval code. Everything else is already in their system.

Tilt
No argument with what you are saying.

Please note I was responding to post#14 and although I could have stated it more clearly, Nexus by itself is of no use when crossing the border. As one who likely crosses the border as much as anyone on TF, I can only but say the Arrive Canada App ties into your passport which ties into information on your Nexus, if you have one. With the Nexus pre checking already done, the customs people can obviously glean facts about you quicker.

Different Customs agents have different responses too. The longest phone call wait we've had is nearly two hours, with the briefest on phone calls once connected.

Does PB then have a dedicated Customs Agent or would it be a drive over from Pender Harbor?
At Port Browning, if you have a reservation, you proceed to your slip and call CBSA. If you are not staying, you pull into the lunch dock and call CBSA.

There is no road to Port Browning from Pender Harbour. :D

Humm, I seem to remember Canal Rd connects N &S Pender IS :confused:
Yes, Canal Road connects N & S Pender Islands with the bridge over Pender Canal, but you asked about a road from Pender Harbo(u)r.
Just some fun at your expense.
:angel:

Yes, Canal Road connects N & S Pender Islands with the bridge over Pender Canal, but you asked about a road from Pender Harbo(u)r.
Just some fun at your expense.
:angel:

OK OK :peace: Bedwell Harbour to N. P. :eek:

At Port Browning, if you have a reservation, you proceed to your slip and call CBSA. If you are not staying, you pull into the lunch dock and call CBSA.

There is no road to Port Browning from Pender Harbour. :D
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Maybe they drive from South Pender Island.

I had dinner in Bidwell. I stopped in to the customs office and asked what the current Nexus protocol was. They said it was now back to pre Covid standards. They also mentioned that the staff answering the phones are often new and unfamiliar with Nexus as the protocol has just been reinstated.

I was advised that if I am directed to dock before calling in that I should politely remind them that the standard Nexus protocol is to announce my arrival time and location in order to receive a clearance code.

How was the dinner at Bedwell? I am around the corner and have yet to give it a go. Was it at the pub or?

Joe’s and the Pub at Port Browning are closed on Tuesday. This is how we ended up in Bidwell.

I stopped in to the customs office and asked what the current Nexus protocol was. They said it was now back to pre Covid standards. They also mentioned that the staff answering the phones are often new and unfamiliar with Nexus as the protocol has just been reinstated.

I was advised that if I am directed to dock before calling in that I should politely remind them that the standard Nexus protocol is to announce my arrival time and location in order to receive a clearance code.

This is good news. Looks like things are returning to normal. Good to hear.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom